• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Issue/Renew Let's Encrypt certificate if site is behind cloudflare

X1X11X

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Microsoft Windows Server 2016 x86_64
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.51.1
Hi,

I was wondering if there is a better way to issue or renew Let's Encrypt certificates in plesk, if the site is behind cloudflare.
Every time, my Let's Encrypt certificate is expired i have to temporarily pause cloudflare on my site, so that Let's Encrypt is able to resolve my dns records and especially the ACME txt record.

This does not seem like the ideal way of doing this, having to disable cloudflare everytime the cert expires.
The server itself has a Origin cert from Cloudlare, so the Let's Encrypt on is only needed for the mail part.

Best thing would be that the certificate automatially renews itself, which also doesnt work if the site is behind cloudflare.

The way i see it, there are currently 2 options:
1. Perfoming the above steps manually every time a cert expires
2. Don't proxy the domain in the cloudflare DNS

Am I missing something, can this be accomplished somehow?

I'm grateful for any input.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Peter,

thanks for your quick response!
Regarding the first solution with the cloudflare certificate, do you mean a root certificate?
Because as far as I know, root CAs can't be used to secure mail.
So I wonder how can I get such a cert for plesk, since the client ceritifactes are missing the .crt part

My Let's Encrypt certificates have been renewing just fine since Nov 2023, after installing "DNS Integration for Cloudflare®" Plesk extension and enabling Auto-Sync for 3 domains. I don't recall the setup being too difficult, but it may have taken a little trial and error.

My Let's Encrypt certificates have been renewing just fine since Nov 2023, after installing "DNS Integration for Cloudflare®" Plesk extension and enabling Auto-Sync for 3 domains. I don't recall the setup being too difficult, but it may have taken a little trial and error.
I was hoping to avoid this method because I don't want all the records that Plesk generates in Cloudflare.

Do you have the CF proxy enabled for everything except the mail subdomain?

I was hoping to avoid this method because I don't want all the records that Plesk generates in Cloudflare.

Do you have the CF proxy enabled for everything except the mail subdomain?
Probably. It has been a while since I set it up.

Back