• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Joomla Toolkit: broken instance for all Joomla 5.0 websites

dawe78

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian (18.0.56)
Hi,

I just updated few of my websites to Joomla 5.0. After update, Joomla Toolkit shows "broken instance" error and removes instance from list.

Maybe Joomla 5.0 is not yet implemented in Joomla Toolkit?

Regards,
Daniel

Tested it on one page as well - same here. "Broken instance"

So from now all Joomla extensions can't be updated (EXTPLESK-4677, EXTPLESK-4153)
and the core cannot be updated as well...

Ok guys - i undestand that Joomla isn't WordPress - but nevertheless it'S the second most used CMS worldwide...
And if you offer a toolkit - at least the basic functions would be nice...

Pretty sure the WP Toolkit CAN update the core and extensions...

Thank you for bringing this up. Joomla announced the release of Joomla 5 a couple of days ago, and unfortunately some code change in that version causes that the toolkit does not yet support it. We've created an internal task EXTPLESK-5096 to include support for the new Joomla version. At the moment there is no ETA yet.

I am preparing to set up 5 websites using Joomla 5. Should I avoid setting the sites up until this 'broken instance' issue has been resolved, or should I just go ahead anyway? I am really not teachnically minded and I am not sure of the implications so any advice would be appreciated.

Joomla does not need the Joomla Toolkit to run. So probably, yes, you can go ahead an install and use Joomla 5. It is then just not a Joomla Toolkit installation.

I don't really know how to do that - I guess I will have to move hosts to one that offers Joomla 5 installations.

That's easy. Simply download the Joomla install package from Joomla! Downloads - Build your website with the CMS Joomla!, upload it to your webspace, unpack it and open the website. If assistance is required with this, your web hosts's support will probably be able to install it in two minutes for you.
Hi there Peter!
First of all, hapy new year for you and the entire team.
Currenlty I have 4 vps´s where I also have joomla toolkit running. And yes before the end of 2023 I upgraded allmost all my joomla´s to joomla 5.
And I also get a blank screen. Meanwhile client´s are paying their respectivly monthy subscription fee for an extension that doesn´t work for Joomla 5
Any idea what to tell them? Any idea we will have a ETA for this please?
Any ideas on the matter?
Hoping to hear from you again.
Regards,
Paco

Meanwhile client´s are paying their respectivly monthy subscription fee for an extension that doesn´t work for Joomla 5
Hi Peter,
now we are waiting for almost 3 months for joomla 5 compatibility. We all pay for the plesk extension although we cant use it any more. I do have to update all customer sites manually, which takes a lot of time. Would you please, please give us an update / possible release date for an extension update? Youre right, "Joomla does not need the Joomla Toolkit to run", but we all bought this extension to make administration of Joomla easier. But if Joomla Toolkit does not support current Joomla Version, why should I still pay for Joomla Toolkit?

According to the developer log of EXTPLESK-5096 development is underway, but I do not yet have an ETA. I have forwarded the comments on the urgency of this matter.

Hi there @Peter Debik

so with the launch of Joomla 5 on 17 Octubre 2023 16:00 i have updated various joomlas for 2 diferent client´s. Just out of curiousity...How will plesk honer this than? For the payment´s made in November, December 2023 and now January 2024?
Should we open a ticket to plesk and ask them directly?

Cheers,
Paco

Yes, please open a ticket if you want to ask for a refund. I have no options here, neither insight into it.

Hi there @Peter Debik

As I rent the VPS from Hosteurope (Germany) can I email Plesk directly? If so do you have a link and or an email address where I can ask for an update on the matter?
Do you know from your end how they are progressing with this please?

Regards,
Paco

The update of the Joomla extension is expected very soon. It's already been completed, but in testing stage here now.

For a refund, please contact Plesk support. If you are not eligible for support, please use the 30 days free trial period for a support subscription. It won't cost you anything when you sign-up, then cancel after the case has been processed.

Nice ... will we be able to update the joomla-extensions via toolkit as well on J4 and J5?

(...as it is stated on the extensions website : -) )

The extension update to support Joomla 5 has been released. It may take 24 hours for it to update through the extensions page.

Back