• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

KDE & Samba & Webmin

C

cybernet

Hello, i was talking to some other people running plesk and they told me i Cant install plesk on machines running either graphical interface, or samba or webmin

Personally i see no reason why any of those software would interfere with plesk, but before i install them i wanted to know if anyone as any clue on this

Thanks

I'm assuming you have some version of RH. I don't know who you talked to, but as far as KDE or gnome and webmin, they can be on the server. The question is if you want the KDE/gnome/GUI on the server. In general, the GUI will just take system resources and is not *absolutely* needed for proper server operation. Samba should not interfere either, but I've never needed it on a hosting server.

Note about Webmin: you can use it for doing some tasks, but not all of it's features will be compatible with the way Plesk does it's virtual hosting and other things. For example, webmin's Spamassassin module eventhough you can make changes, those changes will not do any good with the PSA-SA. You could make changes to the DNS zone files, but the next time Plesk makes changes to a domain, the named.conf and zone file will be overwritten. The standard Webmin-Qmail module (limited as it is) will allow you to change some of the control options, but you will not be able to view the Qmail user's mail due to the maildir structure.

If you do use Webmin, make sure you go through each module's config options and make sure they are right for your system, especially the start/stop command options.

Basicly im not planning on to put webmin, but was more curious to the fact i was told it would screw up PSA, for the GUI, im not planning on keep it running, i just need it to make my life easier on some task, so i would go back to init 3 when done, As for Samba, well it's just so i can map so folder to the windows box and make back up from there. of course i could do it backward and map all the other machines to a linux one and do backup from there too, i'll see

Thanks for replying, overall it's what i thought, he prolly got confused with the fact that GUI would eat up resources for nothing compared to would make PSA crash ;) it's exactly what i had told him but he was insisting so lol.

I use webmin along side with Plesk but only uses few modules like File Manager or Myql service manager or cron job module etcs.

There lots of module that you can't use or it can even break Plesk if you try to use it so I would make sure those module get uninstalled from Webmin or some of the features in those modules are disabled .

Bill

Back