• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

License verfifcation over Internet

M

mailru66

Can you please clarify if server with Plesk control panel installed must have access to the Internet and/or any specific port open to communicate with SWSoft server to verify license key or for any other reasons?

I'm asking this question because looking through different forums I've come across the next posting:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=429867

"...my license key suddenly expired .... Since a well secured server is hardened to a point where all unnecessary ports are closed off, there's no way an admin would know that the copy of Plesk in your server would open a mysterious port to communicate with SWSoft servers once in a full moon to automatically renew a key by itself. Thus...you are locked out of your own server and have clients all asking what happened to the control panel. It sure made me look real bad in front of the clients. "

VB

FYI:
I've got a response from SWSoft:

Plesk keys self renew every 6 months… these communicate through port 5224 and update themselves automatically. This can be done manually by requesting an update from [email protected] or by opening port 5224 temporarily and clicking on the retrieve keys icon in the Plesk interface

Did they say what kind of license package that refers to? For example, if I purchase a 30 domain pack (not a monthly lease kind of thing, but a one-time purchase) will it still be required to self-renew?

Not asking you to check into it, just if that was something they mentioned.

Yes, I was asking about one-time purchase, and their answer is about that kind of license. Even if you bought permanent license, Plesk self-renew key every 6 month!

Thanks. Not sure how I feel about that...kinda makes Plesk a bad choice for intranet web-based servers. Not to mention the 'big brother is watching' kinda feeling it gives me.

Another question comes to mind:

Does this condition only prevent access to the control panel or do all web sites on that server stop working? :eek:

Anyone know?:confused:

If only the control panel stops, I'd consider that a speed-bump. If all sites stop working....more like a brick wall (and a show-stopper for us).:(

I've discussed it with guys from Plesk (our company is serious about buying Plesk)
I was told that the Plesk is trying to connect to server for 10 days to verify license, so it's very rare situation that the SWSoft server will be down for so long time. And after that if it still cannot verify the key then it blocks Control Panel without affecting users' web sites.
IMHO, It's acceptable

Back