• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Limited DNS recursion / master-slave setup?

shall

Regular Pleskian
I'm trying to setup my servers so that DNS requests for any domain hosted by any of the servers will be properly relayed to the correct server so that my clients don't have to setup NS records at their registrar beyond a simple ns1, ns2 and/or ns3.

Plesk, as far as I can tell, is only capable of (easily, anyway) being authoritative for directly hosted domains, and setting up the domains on the other servers in order to attempt to get NS value for them just does not work. It quite effectively screws up email and other services from the secondary server to/from the domain in question.

What I hope to see is like this:
server1 hosts example.com @ x.x.x.1
server2 hosts example.net @ y.y.y.2
server3 hosts example.org @ z.z.z.3

client1 registers their domain (example.com) and sets 3 name servers, which resolve to server1, server2 and server3, thus effecting proper distribution of DNS across three separate class A networks.

visitor1 requests an A record for example.com and his ISP randomly determines to check DNS at server2. visitor1 receives the correct reply because the zones are automatically cloned from server1 regularly.

I understand that using a master/slave setup is the way this should be done, but how do I actually do that with Plesk? It's a heterogenous setup with Windows & Linux systems, but I'm using BIND exclusively on each server.

Thoughts, assistance, instructions and a well-formed English-language step-by-step guide that includes reassurances that Plesk won't "automatically" screw it all up once I've got it working are very welcome.

Also interested in this topic..

I, too, am looking to simplify my DNS duties, and be able to centralize all the DNS management by making all changes through my Plesk 8.6 server (for Windows). We're got enough domains that we administer now, and it would be nice to visit each domain one more time, remove all custom records from the registrar's DNS, specify a couple nameservers, and let Plesk handle all the A, MX, CNAME, etc... records from here forward.

Thanks, in advance, to anyone who can post detailed instructions on how to accomplish this!

Back