• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Mac mail 'Unable to Verify Account Name or Password'

tobeas

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Unknown
Plesk version and microupdate number
Good day,

Not sure if this is the right place for my question, my apologies if not.

I'm trying to add my new email address to my Mac mail via IMAP, but I keep getting the message that 'Unable to Verify Account Name or Password'.

I have manually set all the settings correctly several times, tried to change the password, but unfortunately it does not work.

I hope someone might have an idea what I'm doing wrong.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-11 at 09.57.56.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-11 at 09.57.56.png
    388.1 KB · Views: 6
correctly
Nope, probably not. The problem with Apple mail is that it does not show you exact error messages. When it cannot check the mailbox, there can be several reasons:
- wrong username (email address) or password --> use correct credentials
- frequently sent wrong login credentials from the same IP which lead to a Dovecot, Postfix or Recidive jail block in Fail2Ban on your Plesk server --> unblock IP in Tools & Settings > Fail2Ban
- wrong port used for IMAP (should bei 993 for IMAP with SSL/TLS, 143 for IMAP without SSL/TLS, 465 for SMTP with SSL/TLS, 25 for SMTP without SSL/TLS, 587 for SMTP with STARTTLS)
- missing outgoing mail credentials (very often missed by Mac users: The outgoing mail server requires a login, too)
- ports being blocked by a router, e.g. outgoing mail ports blocked as a spam-sender protection method
- I've also seen cases where everything was finally entered correctly by a user, yet the same error message appeared over and over again until the Mac was rebooted. Cause unknown.

- I've also seen cases where everything was finally entered correctly by a user, yet the same error message appeared over and over again until the Mac was rebooted. Cause unknown.
Peter, you're a life saver. I was in this situation and thought "Why not, a reboot will only take 15 seconds, it's worth a try." And voilá, after the reboot, it accepted my credentials and added the account to Apple Mail without complaining. I believe it has something to do with old accounts stored in Apple Keychain, but I don't have time to look into it further.

Back