• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Mailbox size limited after transfer

Benoit_HaiSoft

New Pleskian
Hi,

I have a problem with the mailbox default size on Plesk Onyx :
I know that on Plesk Onyx, the default mailbox size is now limited to 100 MB (but have not seen where this is explained in the documentation).

When I use the Migration manager to transfer domains from another server (older version of Plesk, or Plesk version with Service plans), the size of the transferred mailboxes is reduced to 100 MB.
I know that the size can be changed through Service plans, but if the new server uses a "Web admin" licence, this is impossible through the Plesk's web panel.
I also know that this can be changed using the command line, but only for the existing domains.

So, If I don't pay attention and forget to run a command line after migration, the mailboxes will stay limited to 100 MB.

Is there a solution to change the default behaviour, so that new created mailboxes and transferred mailboxes are not limited ?
Or a way to change the default mailbox size limit ?

Thank you

I have seen cases where the migrated `maildirsize` file caused problems. Usually it was enough to remove the old file "/var/qmail/mailnames/<yourdomain.com>/<mailbox>/Maildir/maildirsize" then run plesk repair mail on the mailbox: plesk repair mail [email protected]

Hi,

Usually mail box limits are transferring correctly. But have some cases when they could be not transferred. For example in case when subscription used built-in service plan. It was changed on the source but not changed on the target server before migration. During migration already existing service plans are not updating. So mail box size will be reduced.

Hi,

Thanks for your answers, but those are not related to my problem.

In fact, what I'm describing here is a new behavior in Plesk Onyx, that limits all mailboxes to 100 MB by default.

I think I will send a message to Plesk through the support to see if they are planning to change this, if it can't be changed right now.

Thanks

Just FYI: I cannot reproduce the problem myself. I just migrated a server from Plesk 12.5 on CentOS 6 to Plesk 17.8 on CentOS 7 and the mailbox quotas are at 1GB on both servers, as defined in the service plan. But this was on Plesk Web Host Edition, not on Web Admin Edition.

Do you still have access to the old server?
Is there any difference if you do plesk bin mail -i <user@domain> on the two servers?

Yes, this only happens with Web Admin Edition.

Here are the results on old and new server :
Old :
Code:
[root@old-machine ~]# plesk bin mail -i [email protected]
Mailname:           contact
Domain:             domain.com
Mailgroup(s):       [email protected]
Mailbox:            true
Password type:      plain
Mbox quota:         Unlimited
Mailgroup:          false
Attachment files:   Empty
Autoresponders:     Disabled
Antivirus mail checking: Can not determine
Description:      

SUCCESS: Gathering information for '[email protected]' complete

New :
Code:
[root@new-machine ~]# plesk bin mail -i [email protected]
Mailname:           contact
Domain:             domain.com
Mailgroup(s):       [email protected]
Mailbox:            true
Password type:      sym
Mbox quota:         Unlimited
Mailgroup:          false
Attachment files:   Empty
Autoresponders:     Disabled
   Answer with subject: Re: <request_subject>
   Answer text:    
   Attachment files:
   Forward request:
Description:      

SUCCESS: Gathering information for '[email protected]' complete

But here, the "Mbox quota" checks for the manually defined size for the mailbox, (which here is not set/set to the option "Default size (100 MB)") and not the default mailbox quota for the subscription.

As you can see in my screenshot, mailboxes are limited to 100MB.

Attachments

• Mailbox size.png
    Mailbox size.png
    130.6 KB · Views: 4
Hi everyone,

Here's the answer I got from Plesk, which I think can solve my problem.

Posting it here if anyone needs it :

Thanks for your questions, I will address them one by one.

[...]

Is it not possible at all to change the default limitations for the whole server ?

Actually it is possible to change it from the CLI using the following utility:

plesk bin service_plan -u "Admin Simple" -mbox_quota -1

Where "Admin Simple" is the name of the default service plan in the Web Admin version, and -1 set's it to unlimited.

This change will prevent all the future domains to be created with the 100 MB limitation.

[...]

Also, I think that there should be at least a warning about this during the transfer, don't you think ?

This issue has been corrected on 17.8 and it is set to unlimited.

So, I didn't know that Plesk had an "Admin Simple" service plan : This is great, because I can set this command one time after the server install, and do not worry about the mailbox limitation then everytime a mailbox is created on a new subscription.

Also, the problem has been fixed on 17.8, and I am currently using 17.5. I forgot to tell this because I thought this 100MB was a new intended behavior on every Plesk Onyx version.

Anyway, thanks everyone for trying to help me :)

Last edited:
I had this strange mailboxes quota issue after migrating from Cpanel to Plesk, now every mail account has different quota size and clients can't receive emails!
I tried some commands like,
plesk bin subscription_settings --update mydomain.com -mbox_quota 5G
plesk bin subscription_settings --update mydomain.com -mbox_quota -1
SUCCESS: Update of domain 'mydomain.com' completed.
When I check Plesk interface for a domain I find quota limit is the same! no change actually done!
Without success! how to reset quotas for all mailboxes on all domains to unlimited again?

Back