• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Maildir reporting wrong disk usage

L

lpittman

Hey everyone.

I am working on maintaining the size of the mailnames to see that the partition does not fill up (has once already) and I am finding that a lot of information is being reported incorrectly, for example:

[root@server traditional.com]# du -sh *
4.0k @mbox.quota
104k bahai
4.8M duncan
2.2M galen
44k info
2.5M leland
8.3M vivian

You'll see 'vivian' for example shows 8.3M being used.

[root@server traditional.com]# cd vivian
[root@server vivian]# du -sh *
4.0k @attachments
7.8M Maildir
4.0k user_prefs

Now Maildir shows 7.8M used.

[root@server vivian]# cd Maildir
[root@server Maildir]# du -sh *
4.0k courierimapkeywords
4.0k courierimapuiddb
4.0k courierpop3dsizelist
8.0k cur
4.0k new
4.0k tmp

But in Maildir it is not showing anything close to 8M. I have gone into each directory and confirmed there is nothing in them. I have also logged into Webmail and confirmed there is no mail in there.

What may be causing this? Is there a way to have the proper disk usage reported?

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Luke

What OS distro and version are you using? On all my RH type servers running Plesk 7.5.3 and 7.5.4 all the numbers are showing correctly. I even just double checked a couple of servers and numerous mail accounts to make sure.

Thanks for the reply.

I am running RH 7.3 and Plesk 7.5.4

Luke

Hmm, wondering if it's RH 7.3, I phased out all of my 7.3 boxes years ago. And only have a few RH9 left to change out for newer.

Follow up:

It looks like the proper amounts are being reported, however I was not looking for the right stuff.

I was doing du -sh * when I should have been doing du -sh * .*!

Now I am seeing some other info (like a .trash folder with a bunch of old emails in it).

Any idea how to clear thoughs out for my clients automatically? Perhaps thats a bad idea.

Hmm...

Luke

Ah, when I use that command and want *everything*, I don't specify anything after the -sh In other words, I do just: "du -sh" or "du -ah" and it lists everything even hidden directories...

Ahhhh, cool ... I didn't know that. Still learning Linux ...

Back