• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Mailing list not working

JuanCar

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
Centos 7
Plesk version and microupdate number
Obsidian 18.0.48
When I try to configure my mail list it answers with server error.
I've a Centos 7

Hello @JuanCar, happy new year and thank you for posting. Could you please describe in more detail what you configure, e.g. where you click, and what the error message is?

Hello,
When I try to access to manage the list I get a 500 server error, no more info.
The url of the button for manage the list is http://lists.subdomain.mydomain.com/mailman/admin/subscripcion (subscripcion id the list name) and it appears as not SSL.
Reading log from server, the only I found was:
2023-01-04 10:46:05 Error 207.118.123.73 500 GET /mailman/admin/subscripcion HTTP/1.0 https://plesk.mydomain.com/ Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/108.0.0.0 Safari/537.36 1.67 K Acceso SSL/TLS a Apache
2023-01-04 10:46:05 Error 207.118.123.73 End of script output before headers: admin, referer: https://plesk.mydomain.com/ Error de Apache

Thanks

I understand that the issue is with Mailman list server. How did you install Mailman? Was it installed from the Plesk updates/upgrades page? Have you tried reinstalling it?

Yes I installed the app from the Plesk updates/upgrades.
In PLESK documentation says that there is a Tools & Settings > Mailman Setting option in mail section, but in my Obsidian I cannot see this option, the only I've found is a section inside Mail setting.
I tell you what I'just have do:
I've found that inside mail settings (Tools & Settings > Mail > Mailman Setting) there is a setting about use SSL in mail list. I check the control and the list management works. Ok. Then I checkout the control and the list management works fine too!. That's the only thing I've done. I cannot understand.
The access to administrator list page alway uses HTTP (not SSL).
(Lists now works for any subdomain and domains, except for the main domain of my site. It shows that the Mailman service is not active, but it's active in config of the domain. But this is not a problem by now.)
So I consider the problem solved.
Thanks

Testing new Mailman3 integration on Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.60, on Debian 12:
Dear @IgorG Please improve Plesk and Mailman/Let's encrypt integration.
We manage DNS on another server and can not use wildcard LetsEncrypt certificates:
make it so lists.<domain> can have have its own LE TLS certificate like webmail.<domain> does.

Testing new Mailman3 integration on Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.60, on Debian 12:
Dear @IgorG Please improve Plesk and Mailman/Let's encrypt integration.
We manage DNS on another server and can not use wildcard LetsEncrypt certificates:
make it so lists.<domain> can have have its own LE TLS certificate like webmail.<domain> does.
I'm sorry, but I'm not a Plesk employee.

You can issue a separate Let's Encrypt certificate for any subdomain that is routed to the server. What exactly does not work for you here?

Hello, thank you for replying.
We are in a situation where we do host Mailman mailing lists for customers whose web site and email are hosted on other servers.
I'm currently testing Plesk implementation of Mailman3 on Debian 12.
When I go to generate a Lets Encrypt certificate for the domain I see an option for the subdomains: www and webmail, but no option for the lists subdomain. See attached screenshots of the LE Certificates page and the Mail settings page.
There is no way to generate a LE certificate just for the mailing list subdomain: lists.<domain>
How should I proceed then?
I know I could override the general SSL It settings to allo generating wildcard certificates, and update the domain DNS manually on the external DNS server (not Plesk), but after that initial generation there is no way for us to manage the automatic LE wildcard Certificate renewals.

When "Enable Mailing lists" is check: could there be a possibility to add an option for generating a separate LE certificate for lists.<domain> the same way there is an option to generate one for webmail.<domain> so they'll use the HTML challenge validation at lists.<domain>.com?

If not can I add that as an feature request?
Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 5.23.22 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 5.23.22 PM.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 5.15.46 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 5.15.46 PM.png
    79.9 KB · Views: 1
You must name your domain correctly from the start. If your domain is hosted elsewhere, you would not add the domain to the Plesk installation. If you know that you name your domain lists.<domain>, then you add lists.<domain> as your domain name, not your main domain name that is hosted elsewhere, because only lists.<domain> is hosted locally. Then you can issue a cert for that lists.<domain>.

You must name your domain correctly from the start. If your domain is hosted elsewhere, you would not add the domain to the Plesk installation. If you know that you name your domain lists.<domain>, then you add lists.<domain> as your domain name, not your main domain name that is hosted elsewhere, because only lists.<domain> is hosted locally. Then you can issue a cert for that lists.<domain>.
I tried that, and then on my server the list name becomes [email protected].
I could live with that but then the Plesk-generated "Manage list URL" https://lists.lists.domain.com/mailman3/postorius/lists/<list email address> which I can't secure. My wildcard certificate can only secure subdomains
Is there a way to trick Plesk to use https://lists.domain.com instead?
Is there a template I can modify for that?
Thank you.

Back