• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Migrating from cPanel headaches

Cresci

New Pleskian
Hello,

Just have hired a VPS on a specific provider (non-related to the issue) to migrate a customer that is running under CentOS + cPanel as a single website.
My intention is to install Plesk 12 Web Admin on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (as CentOS 6 is the deadend, CentOS 7 is a totally different beast). Licensing fits more this model of a single website with a couple alias domains.

According to the migration documentation, I must, on the plesk server, run a series of commands (either some or other) in order to prepare the server and to change the default vhost directory to be /home (don't know if that is really necessary or just to maintain compatibility with the website scripts that include the site path on their configs)

Issue is, whenever I try to run that (either on the OpenVZ template that my provider offers, or on a fresh Ubuntu install and installing Plesk from the command line), I do get fatal errors on apache.conf saying that "DocumentRoot must be a directory" and non-fatal errors that "NameVirtualHost will be disabled in future updates". The apache .conf stays untouched and paths there do not get changed.

Is this step of moving from /var to /home really necessary (I think I can more easily manage the paths on the php scripts at the website)? If yes, how could I fix those errors? Just editing and correcting the apache .conf or I do have any more other (hidden) steps?

I can easily fresh OS Reload the VPS so no data saving needed and I can do anything destructive.

Back