• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Input Migration from Oynx to Obsidian Problems i faced

Was this post helpfull

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kirk macdonald

Basic Pleskian
Ok here was my problem, what i experienced whilst upgrading, why i upgraded, problems i faced and how i solved them.

I writing this just in case someone else has a similar problem and how i fixed it

1) why i decided to upgrade

i originally had onyx on a separate server on a 4 disk raid 6, backups were stored on the same disk as installation, which i know i shouldn't of but hey. PSU blew never had redundant supply moved to disks to another server. Raid failed wouldn't boot 3 failed disk.

I plugged the disk into windows and copied data across i had to install linux file system for windows by paragon 15-day trial to read Linux part on windows without corruption of data

Had to reinstall Plesk on a clean install done smarter now on VM disk but i thought ok eventually I'm going to upgrade to Obsidian so i might as well do on a fresh install

2) Problems i faced

Ok couldn't use migration because all i had was literally a clone of a none working disk but all data was intactact i had to somehow get this data back on this i did it there were many problems like imported the backups but database didn't fully import but there were no errors for DB imports but no 3 is exactly how i managed it.

3) How i did it

was copy all data from

/var/lib/psa/dumps

to the new install

/var/lib/psa/dumps

i repeat do not open backup manager until the transfer is complete you will not see all of your backups.

open and copy this key

/etc/psa/private/secret_key

and add above the new key in the new installations folder of

/etc/psa/private/secret_key

this step is very important this is the backups encryption key if you do not add this key to the new key all passwords will be reset to all your imports make sure the old key is above the new or it will say passwords will be reset when importing if don't say this then you done it correctly.

ok now to the backup manager and import your backup

now you might find it all imports you might have some errors but i never received any errors regarding DB imports but when i clicked on my websites i realized tables were missing from the DB i was like what.

what i found was some of my tables never imported

so what i did was go into

/var/lib/psa/dumps/domains/the website which is not working/databases/the data base linked to the website

you will find a load of zip files if they vary in size go for the biggest or if the same size the last one and extract it

manual import this file to the required website via databases import dump in control panel

it will tell you the errors of why it never imported all files mine was it couldn't import utf8mb4

so i opened the file and find and replaced all utf8mb4 with utf8 and imported the dump now my sites work

I also had another problem which was when i imported some db it threw this error

1. missing expression. (near "ON" at position 25)
SQL-query:

how i solved this was with the following in the termi

plesk db

set global net_buffer_length=1000000;
set global max_allowed_packet=1000000000;

exit

service mariadb restart

/etc/init.d/psa stop

/etc/init.d/psa start

then when i imported the db it work fine no errors

dont forget to reset the net buffer & max allowed to thier required default ones

Another problem i found was i signed all my website zones and emails with Dnssec but this module does not work correctly with Obsidian

I could not fix this module my self as all the files are encoded

But with the module not installed on Obsidian as long as i updated the DNS template of my website once the import was done.

My email signing, dkim still works and all outgoing mail is still being signed and verified with the old keys.

If anyone has a similar problem or just needs some help regarding similar things regarding the above please respond to this thread and i will try to help as much as i can

All the best
Kirk MacDonald

Last edited:
Back