• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Migration from Plesk 7.5.4 to Plesk 9.2.1

G

GertK

Hi

I need to migrate a couple of domains from an older server to a new one.

I found the following on the net and wanted to know if it is the right way to do it.

On Plesk 7.5.4 server:
- Create the backup with
/usr/local/psa/bin/psadump -f /home/backup-directory/backup-file --domains-names=/home/backup-directory/domains
- Move the backup file to the new server (Plesk 9.2.1)

On Plesk 9.2.1 Server:
- Convert the backup file to Version 8 with
/usr/local/psa/bin/backup-convert convert /home/backup-directory/backup-file_v8 /home/backup-file
- Convert Version 8 backup file to Version 9 with
/usr/local/psa/bin/pre9-backup-convert -v convert -d /var/lib/psa/dumps/ /home/backup-directory/backup-file_v8
- Log into Plesk 9.2.1 control panel, create corresponding domain, go to backup manager for the domain, backup file should be there and do a restore.

Are these the correct steps to take?
Thanks in advance for all the assistance!

Gert

Hi Maa,

I think that will only work between server that both run Plesk 9.2 ..... my one server is Plesk 7.5.4

Thanks

Process of objects migration from prior versions of Plesk Control Panel to Plesk Control Panel 9.2.1 is described in details in manual below:

http://download1.parallels.com/Ples...-migration-guide/index.htm?fileName=63282.htm

Be sure to follow these steps exactly.

According to the documentation you send me I get to the same conclusion as what I posted in the first place.

On Source Server (Plesk 7.5.4)
Doc you recommended (http://download1.parallels.com/Ples...-migration-guide/index.htm?fileName=63282.htm) - "To migrate objects from Plesk v. 7.5 using Plesk Backup Manager, you should create backup on source server 7.5 and then convert it to version 8 with the backup-convert utility. Refer to the following article for details: http://kb.odin.com/en/1727. After that, you may convert the backup to version 9 with the pre9-backup-convert utility and then restore it through Backup Manager in the control panel."

Steps to do:
- Create the backup with
/usr/local/psa/bin/psadump -f /home/backup-directory/backup-file --domains-names=/home/backup-directory/domains
- Move the backup file to the destination server (Plesk 9.2.1)

On Destination Server (Plesk 9.2.1)
Need to convert backup file from Plesk 7.5.4 to Plesk 8.6 using backup-convert utility. Then Convert from Plesk 8.6 to Plesk 9.2.1 using pre9-backup-convert utility.

Steps to do:
- Convert the backup file to Version 8 with
/usr/local/psa/bin/backup-convert convert /home/backup-directory/backup-file_v8 /home/backup-file
- Convert Version 8 backup file to Version 9 with
/usr/local/psa/bin/pre9-backup-convert -v convert -d /var/lib/psa/dumps/ /home/backup-directory/backup-file_v8
- Log into Plesk 9.2.1 control panel, create corresponding domain, go to backup manager for the domain, backup file should be there and do a restore.

Problem:
I have a problem with converting the backup file from Plesk 7.5.4 to Plesk 8.6. When I execute the command if displays a load of data on screen and run for hours, is this correct??

Hello, GertK,

Did you, by chance, get the following error while converting backup?:

Unexpected XSLT element 'param'.
runtime error: file /usr/local/psa/admin/share/backup_convert/backup-convert.xsl line 283 element param
runtime error: file /usr/local/psa/admin/share/backup_convert/backup-convert.xsl line 286 element choose
Variable 'no_name' has not been declared

If this is the case, please check the following kb: http://kb.odin.com/en/1727

Hello, GertK,

runtime error: file /usr/local/psa/admin/share/backup_convert/backup-convert.xsl line 283 element param
runtime error: file /usr/local/psa/admin/share/backup_convert/backup-convert.xsl line 286 element choose

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.

I did not see any error.
When I try to convert from Plesk 7.5.4 to Plesk 8 with the Following command:
I only get a lot of data displayed on screen that continues for hours..... is this correct?

Hi,

you have forgotten the command "--output"

/usr/local/psa/bin/backup-convert convert --output /home/backup-directory/backup-file_v8 /home/backup-file

BUT:

with these command he generates a file that is only 2086 MB!
But my PLesk 7.5.4 Backup File is ca. 19 GB. Why convert the backup-converter only 2086 MB ?

greetz d4workz

Hello,

Please check if the resulting 2GB file is valid. I do not think it is, but still maybe in your case such size loss is normal due to some peculiarities. Check also if you have enough free disk space on your hard drive to hold at least 20 GB.

Regards,
Denis.

Hi,

yes the 2 GB File is corrupt.
I have enough disc space 50 GB+

I think the .ps Backupfile (Plesk ver. 1.7.5) make trouble ?! But i can't see any Debug or Force mode.

What i could do ?

Hello,

I think it is really worth in your case to try the Plesk Migration Manager. It allows to migrate from Plesk for Unix v. 6.0 and later to Linux/Unix-based Parallels Plesk Panel 9.2 or later. Check the Parallels Plesk Panel 9.2 Migration Guide:

Introduction
http://download1.parallels.com/Plesk/PPP9/Doc/en-US/plesk-9.2-migration-guide/63279.htm

Performing Automated Migrations Using Migration Manager
http://download1.parallels.com/Plesk/PPP9/Doc/en-US/plesk-9.2-migration-guide/63280.htm

Regards,
Denis.

I tried it with the Migration manager here (my complete backup contains approx. 15 GB). But the migration fails and the explanation is not really helpful (it simply says nothing).

Can I just migrate the email account only?

Hi all,

I have setup a new web server with PLESK 9.22 supported but I faced some problems about email account migration.

Current web server: Fedora 3 with Plesek 8.21
New web server: CentOS 5.3 with PLESK 9.22

I have migrated all web pages and database content by myself without using MIGRATION MANAGER, but now I need to migrate email account with all email setting (email password and content) to new server.

I found some solutions from plesk.com but there all about dump the plesk and restore the plesk.

I have tried to dump PLESK 8.21 and restore the dump at PLESK 9.22 followed your guide but failed, sometimes said "broken pipe", sometime said "unable to solve the conflict". It's really frustrated since I just need to dump the email account to PLESK 9.22.

Could you just let me know how to dump the email account to PLESK 9.22? any documents for this purpose? I don't want to create email separately in new server and tell my clients that they need to setup again with OUTLOOK or blackberry.

Thank you very much!

Hello, GertK,

Maybe you will find this knowledge base article useful for this purpose. It describes how to migrate mail to Cmail server in Expand, but commands are also valid for pure plesk mail:

http://kb.odin.com/en/1042

Hi,

I'm doing this migration, I get the dump from old server (7.5.4) transfered to the new one (9.2.3).
My backup have ~19Gb

When trying to convert to V8 a get an ERROR...

[root@srv ~]# /usr/local/psa/bin/backup-convert convert /PSA_V8 /backup_psa
Content-Type: multipart/related;
boundary="127.0.0.1.0.7483.1259852525.807.1"
Mime-Version: 1.0

It stays like this for about 3minutes and then give this error:

Runtime error: Premature EOF without final boundary
[root@srv ~]#

Any sugestions? Didn't find nothing about this... :(

Hi,

I'm doing this migration, I get the dump from old server (7.5.4) transfered to the new one (9.2.3).
My backup have ~19Gb

When trying to convert to V8 a get an ERROR...

[root@srv ~]# /usr/local/psa/bin/backup-convert convert /PSA_V8 /backup_psa
Content-Type: multipart/related;
boundary="127.0.0.1.0.7483.1259852525.807.1"
Mime-Version: 1.0

It stays like this for about 3minutes and then give this error:

Runtime error: Premature EOF without final boundary
[root@srv ~]#

Any sugestions? Didn't find nothing about this... :(

Discussion here.

Back