• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Migration Plesk 8.1.1 Lin to 9.2 Win - "Unable to initialize agent on remote host."

A

Aronv

Hi,

I'm trying to run migration manager on a Plesk 9.2 Windows machine to migrate domains from a Plesk 8.1.1 Linux machine. The update fails with this message: "Unable to initialize agent on remote host."

On the source machine (the Linux host) I can see that migration manager logs in via SSH and agent files are deployed on the configured location. That's where it ends however.

I tried to find log files on the target machine to learn more. All I can find is a folder with two small files "connect.data" and "result.data". These are binary but I can see they don't contain much more info than the error message.

Googling for the error message delivers just a single result: a post on this forum about upgrading Ensim to Plesk 8.6 without any replies.

Any ideas on where to look?

Best regards,
Aron

Solved

The cause was that I used the user "admin" on the Linux source host. This user has most root privileges, but it is not "root". PMM needs to connect to the host as user "root".

In order to make this possible I altered the SSH configuration in /etc/ssh/sshd_config:

PermitRootLogin yes

This is a security hole, so I enable it only during migration and then change it back to "no".

Back