• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Migration & Transfer Manager Missing

Chris_Lemmer

New Pleskian
Hi there,

I have a new install of Plesk. I want to use the Migration & Transfer Manager to transfer an old Plesk to a new one.

However, on the new Plesk install, there is no Transfer manager. Not even in the list of available components to install.

Thanks
Chris

Go to Tools&Settings -> Updates and Upgrades -> Add/Remove Components and choose 'Plesk Migrator' component for installation.

Hi Igor. I just tried to use this new migration tool, to migrate from Plesk 8.6 to 12.5. I get the following error:

[ERROR] Failed to check Plesk API connection to the source server 'source' (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx): HttpClientError(HTTP Error 404: Not Found, '<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">\n<HTML><HEAD>\n<TITLE>404 Not Found</TITLE>\n</HEAD><BODY>\n<H1>Not Found</H1>\nThe requested URL /enterprise/control/agent.php was not found on this server.<P>\n</BODY></HTML>\n')

Advice welcomed.

Hi there,

This is very confusing. On my 1 Plesk install, under Tools & Resources, there is an item called Migration & Transfer Manager. However, in my other Plesk, there is just a transfer manager. And that isn't under Tools, it's under Extensions.

Now, I have gone into Extensions and then specified the details of the remote server I want to migrate. Root user and password, IP and SSH port. However, when I start the migration, it fails: Error: Looks like migration can not be started. The most common cause: wrong IP address, administrator login or password specified, so please check it first.

I can maybe send you the logs in a personal mail if needed?

Thanks
Chris

Hi there,

This is very confusing. On my 1 Plesk install, under Tools & Resources, there is an item called Migration & Transfer Manager. However, in my other Plesk, there is just a transfer manager. And that isn't under Tools, it's under Extensions.

Now, I have gone into Extensions and then specified the details of the remote server I want to migrate. Root user and password, IP and SSH port. However, when I start the migration, it fails: Error: Looks like migration can not be started. The most common cause: wrong IP address, administrator login or password specified, so please check it first.

I can maybe send you the logs in a personal mail if needed?

Thanks
Chris

I can confirm this too. On my plesk server from 12 to 12.50 has an option under settings Migration & Transfer Manager in the extension catalog there is Plesk Migrator which is not the same in terms of functions.

On another plesk server 12.50 03 updated to 12.50 08 Migration & Transfer Manager exists.

On a brand new server with plesk 12.50.08 (latest update) there is no Migration & Transfer Manager only Plesk Migrator under extensions.

And here is a report:

[INFO] START: Check if migration list file already exists
[INFO] FINISH: Check if migration list file already exists
[INFO] START: Check migrator updates
[INFO] FINISH: Check migrator updates
[INFO] START: Check connections
[INFO]
[INFO] START: check services on target servers
[INFO] Checking: Services
[INFO] Checking: Service web on target Plesk server
[INFO] Checking: Service ftp on target Plesk server
[INFO] Checking: Service mail on target Plesk server
[INFO] Checking: Service dns on target Plesk server
[INFO] Checking: Service mysql on target Plesk server
[INFO] Checking: Service plesk on target Plesk server (138.22.123.135)
[INFO]
Services' Issues
|
|- Service 'web on target Plesk server'
|
|- Service 'ftp on target Plesk server'
|
|- Service 'mail on target Plesk server'
| |
| |- error: Service 'mail' is not started on target Plesk server.
| | Make sure that the service is started.
| |
| `- error: Service 'mail' port 25 on target Plesk server is closed.
| 1) Check that service is up
| 2) Check that there are no firewall rules that may block connection to the service
|
|- Service 'dns on target Plesk server'
| |
| `- error: Service 'dns' is not started on target Plesk server.
| Make sure that the service is started.
|
|- Service 'mysql on target Plesk server'
|
`- Service 'plesk on target Plesk server (138.22.123.135)'

[INFO] The report was saved into the file /usr/local/psa/var/modules/panel-migrator/sessions/20151027135909/test_service_report.2015.10.27.14.05.20
[INFO] ******************** Summary ********************
[INFO] Operation finished successfully for 4 out of 6 services
[INFO] Checked objects Total Successful Warnings Failed
[INFO] Service 6 4 0 2
[ERROR] ABORT (by exception): check services on target servers

Thank you!

Digging further with the command line tool you get msg:
Migration Manager is not installed

command: plesk bin migrate --list-subscriptions -host hello.com

If I look inside the licensing part of my Plesk, I see it's licensed for: Migration & Transfer Manager On

However, when I try and install the component and launch the Plesk installer web interface, there is no such component to install.

I have 2 Plesk server. 1 has the Migration & Transfer Manager, however, the other doesn't. Why is it not showing?

Thanks
Chris

If I look inside the licensing part of my Plesk, I see it's licensed for: Migration & Transfer Manager On

However, when I try and install the component and launch the Plesk installer web interface, there is no such component to install.

I have 2 Plesk server. 1 has the Migration & Transfer Manager, however, the other doesn't. Why is it not showing?

Thanks
Chris

You have the exact same issue as me, Chris. If you were to click on the debug log link or the log link, it will give an error like the one I provided.

The option (to install PMM) has been available, until a few days ago, when it disappeared.
We use it quite a lot, so this could be a real issue.

Yeah, this isn't very nice since the extension available in the extensions library doesn't work.

However, the Migration & Transfer Manager works great!

Maybe they had issues with it and removed the plugin temporarily. I really do hope they put it back and that an agent from Odin gives us some feedback.

I can confirm this too. On my plesk server from 12 to 12.50 has an option under settings Migration & Transfer Manager in the extension catalog there is Plesk Migrator which is not the same in terms of functions.

On another plesk server 12.50 03 updated to 12.50 08 Migration & Transfer Manager exists.

On a brand new server with plesk 12.50.08 (latest update) there is no Migration & Transfer Manager only Plesk Migrator under extensions.

And here is a report:

[INFO] START: Check if migration list file already exists
[INFO] FINISH: Check if migration list file already exists
[INFO] START: Check migrator updates
[INFO] FINISH: Check migrator updates
[INFO] START: Check connections
[INFO]
[INFO] START: check services on target servers
[INFO] Checking: Services
[INFO] Checking: Service web on target Plesk server
[INFO] Checking: Service ftp on target Plesk server
[INFO] Checking: Service mail on target Plesk server
[INFO] Checking: Service dns on target Plesk server
[INFO] Checking: Service mysql on target Plesk server
[INFO] Checking: Service plesk on target Plesk server (138.22.123.135)
[INFO]
Services' Issues
|
|- Service 'web on target Plesk server'
|
|- Service 'ftp on target Plesk server'
|
|- Service 'mail on target Plesk server'
| |
| |- error: Service 'mail' is not started on target Plesk server.
| | Make sure that the service is started.
| |
| `- error: Service 'mail' port 25 on target Plesk server is closed.
| 1) Check that service is up
| 2) Check that there are no firewall rules that may block connection to the service
|
|- Service 'dns on target Plesk server'
| |
| `- error: Service 'dns' is not started on target Plesk server.
| Make sure that the service is started.
|
|- Service 'mysql on target Plesk server'
|
`- Service 'plesk on target Plesk server (138.22.123.135)'

[INFO] The report was saved into the file /usr/local/psa/var/modules/panel-migrator/sessions/20151027135909/test_service_report.2015.10.27.14.05.20
[INFO] ******************** Summary ********************
[INFO] Operation finished successfully for 4 out of 6 services
[INFO] Checked objects Total Successful Warnings Failed
[INFO] Service 6 4 0 2
[ERROR] ABORT (by exception): check services on target servers

Thank you!

Okay, so I have found a way of solving it for now. Go and still install Plesk 12.0. You will see the Migration & Transfer Manager is still available them.

After that has been installed, just upgrade your Plesk 12.0 to 12.5. It might not be optimal for now, but at least one can then get hold of the Migration tool until Odin fixes the 404.

Thanks
Chris

Hello,

The Plesk Migrator extension was developed as a replacement for Migration & Transfer Manager. We have tried to take into account all known shortcomings and improve the migration tools. Actual documentation is available at http://docs.plesk.com/en-US/12.5/migration-guide/introduction/.

We appreciate any constructive feedback and will work hard to resolve all reported issues.

In a case of failed services checks, as listed above, you can skip them if you run Plesk Migrator via the command line (you need to specify the option --skip-services-checks), but the root cause, most probably, is not in migration - looks like mail and DNS services are really broken in your Plesk 12.5 installation.

Thanks for your reply. It's sad though that the GUI doesn't currently work.

Nevertheless, command line is also fine. Is there perhaps a guide explaining somewhere of how we should go about using command line to migrate a whole Plesk server?

I have 2 servers. 1 is in data center A and the other in data center B.

I want to transfer the whole server from A to B. So a complete migration. How do I go about doing that?

Thanks
Chris

Plesk Migrator provide GUI for Plesk-to-Plesk migrations, but significant amount of specific features and advanced settings are not exposed yet. Most of them will be available in near future - we are working on it right now.

So, if you chose to use Plesk Migrator via CLI, you need to perform several steps, listed below:

1. Configuring. You need to specify access to source and target server and also several other settings. No need to start with blank page, you can choose one of samples, available here: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/modules/panel-migrator/backend/conf/samples/. For example, plesk-unix.simple.ini - just copy it into /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/modules/panel-migrator/backend/conf/config.ini - default location, there Plesk Migrator will search configuration file:

cp /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/modules/panel-migrator/backend/conf/samples/plesk-unix.simple.ini /usr/local/psa/var/modules/panel-migrator/conf/config.ini

Then open just created config.ini and specify target server IP, source server IP and source server root ssh password. More options, available for configuration, could be found in other samples: look at the plesk-unix.ini (w/o suffix 'simple'), for example.​

2. Specifying of hosting objects, existing on source server: domains, clients, reseller, etc., that should be migrated. You just need to run:

/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/modules/panel-migrator/plesk-migrator generate-migration-list

You could check result and perform some manipulations with generated list (/usr/local/psa/var/modules/panel-migrator/sessions/migration-session/migration-list by default), but if you want to migrate all server, just leave it as is.​

3. Performing the migration:

/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/modules/panel-migrator/plesk-migrator transfer-accounts

After that, if no critical issues found, all domains, clients, resellers and etc, listed in migration list, will be created on target server. Hosting settings - addon domains, subdomains, aliases, databases, mail boxes, accounts, etc will be created as well. Content (files, e-mails, databases) will be copied automatically from source to target. So, all migration actions will be done after successfully completion of transfer-accounts command.​

4. Checking the result: optional step, but could be very usefull to verify that migrated domains works fine:

/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/modules/panel-migrator/plesk-migrator test-all​

There are a lot of other useful commands, that could be used to tune migration process as you need, documentation will be updated soon.

Need to note, but before you run transfer-accounts would be nice to run pre-migration checks:

/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/modules/panel-migrator/plesk-migrator check

This command will report all potential issues which you can face then performing the migration before any action will be executed.

Last edited:
Thanks Aleksey.

Is there any way to define mail and dns skip checks as I don't run mail and dns with my plesk servers?

I tried your options, I dig around the files without luck.

├ Service 'mail on target Plesk server'
│ │
│ ├ error: Service 'mail' is not started on target Plesk server.
│ │ Make sure that the service is started.
│ │
│ └ error: Service 'mail' port 25 on target Plesk server is closed.
│ 1) Check that service is up
│ 2) Check that there are no firewall rules that may block connection to the service

├ Service 'dns on target Plesk server'
│ │
│ └ error: Service 'dns' is not started on target Plesk server.
│ Make sure that the service is started.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, Plesk Migrator now has no ability to turn off several specific checks. But all services checks could be disabled with option --skip-services-checks:

/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/modules/panel-migrator/plesk-migrator transfer-accounts --skip-services-checks

Does it works for you?

Ok all went good, this works but failed to import backups.
Note on both servers I have Plesk's encryption key selected and not password.

Any hint?

[ERROR] Failed to import backup dumps to target panel's repository
Cause: Failed to import backup XML: errcode must be '0' (no errors) or '116' (backup sign error).
Output of pmmcli utility:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<response>
<errcode>152</errcode>
<errmsg>Unable to import file as dump: The file you are trying to upload is not a valid backup file</errmsg>
</response>
That is a critical error, migration was stopped.

Aleksey I found on the target server a backup file where there is a log saying:

Unable to restore data. The following files were corrupted:
backup_modsecurity_1510281513.tgz

Well done, let's see what actually happens. When Plesk Migrator start the migration, it make dump of source server domains (clients, resellers, etc), and store this dump in migration session directory (/usr/local/psa/var/modules/panel-migrator/sessions/migration-session/ by default). Format of this dump is the same as format of Plesk backup. Raw dump file named "plesk.backup.pfu.raw.tar" (suffix "raw" - is the name of config.ini section, where source server settings was specified). Then Plesk Migrator perfrom conversion of this raw dump according set of business rules and save result as "plesk.backup.pfu.converted.tar". After that Plesk Migrator tries to import converted dump as a valid XML backup into target Plesk.

According provided log entries, Plesk 12.5 is unable to process converted dump, so there are two possible root causes: dump agent (Plesk Migrator use the same agents, as Migration & Transfer Manager) make invalid raw dump, or Plesk Migrator perform conversion incorrectly, and converted dump become invalid. I suggest you try to import "plesk.backup.pfu.raw.tar" and "plesk.backup.pfu.converted.tar" into target Plesk 12.5 manually via GUI (Tools & Settings / Backup Manager, click Upload button at tool bar). Do not forget to check "Upload backup files without a valid signature". As I expect, upload will fail, and when you will open just created item (item should be appended into list of imported backups at Backup Manager title page), you will see a clean error of XML validation. According this error we can detect an issue and provide possible solution or hot fix.

Back