• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Migration & Transfer Manager Missing

Plesk Migrator provide GUI for Plesk-to-Plesk migrations, but significant amount of specific features and advanced settings are not exposed yet. Most of them will be available in near future - we are working on it right now.

So, if you chose to use Plesk Migrator via CLI, you need to perform several steps, listed below:

1. Configuring. You need to specify access to source and target server and also several other settings. No need to start with blank page, you can choose one of samples, available here: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/modules/panel-migrator/backend/conf/samples/. For example, plesk-unix.simple.ini - just copy it into /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/modules/panel-migrator/backend/conf/config.ini - default location, there Plesk Migrator will search configuration file:

cp /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/modules/panel-migrator/backend/conf/samples/plesk-unix.simple.ini /usr/local/psa/var/modules/panel-migrator/conf/config.ini

Then open just created config.ini and specify target server IP, source server IP and source server root ssh password. More options, available for configuration, could be found in other samples: look at the plesk-unix.ini (w/o suffix 'simple'), for example.​

2. Specifying of hosting objects, existing on source server: domains, clients, reseller, etc., that should be migrated. You just need to run:

/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/modules/panel-migrator/plesk-migrator generate-migration-list

You could check result and perform some manipulations with generated list (/usr/local/psa/var/modules/panel-migrator/sessions/migration-session/migration-list by default), but if you want to migrate all server, just leave it as is.​

3. Performing the migration:

/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/modules/panel-migrator/plesk-migrator transfer-accounts

After that, if no critical issues found, all domains, clients, resellers and etc, listed in migration list, will be created on target server. Hosting settings - addon domains, subdomains, aliases, databases, mail boxes, accounts, etc will be created as well. Content (files, e-mails, databases) will be copied automatically from source to target. So, all migration actions will be done after successfully completion of transfer-accounts command.​

4. Checking the result: optional step, but could be very usefull to verify that migrated domains works fine:

/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/modules/panel-migrator/plesk-migrator test-all​

There are a lot of other useful commands, that could be used to tune migration process as you need, documentation will be updated soon.

Need to note, but before you run transfer-accounts would be nice to run pre-migration checks:

/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/modules/panel-migrator/plesk-migrator check

This command will report all potential issues which you can face then performing the migration before any action will be executed.

Hi there,

Thanks so much for your detailed reply.

I just have a question now. I have migrated an account and it seems to work. However, it just seems to have a few issues. Some of the databases don't seem writable and I am also not able to add new databases on the migrated account. The "create database" button is missing.

However, when I create a fresh new account on the target servers, I can create new databases. It's just the migrated accounts where I can't.

Could it maybe be because the root user doesn't have rights on the external MySQL server?

Thanks
Chris

Hello Chris,

First, try to check "Databases" limit for migrated subscriptions. Missing "Add Database" button could mean that there are not enough databases available by the limit.

Could you please clarify your configuration and scenario:
  • Have you got source with one local MySQL and target with one local MySQL and one remote MySQL?
  • Or you try to assimilate databases on remote MySQL?
  • Is remote MySQL was set as default MySQL server via target Plesk server wide settings?
  • Or it was set as default for plan, to which migrated domain is assigned?
  • When you have tried to create databases, how you was logged in: as admin, impersonated as customer, or as customer itself?
  • Which limit on number of databases was set for subscription as a result of migration? May be limit was reached/exeeded?

Ok all went good, this works but failed to import backups.
Note on both servers I have Plesk's encryption key selected and not password.

Any hint?

[ERROR] Failed to import backup dumps to target panel's repository
Cause: Failed to import backup XML: errcode must be '0' (no errors) or '116' (backup sign error).
Output of pmmcli utility:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<response>
<errcode>152</errcode>
<errmsg>Unable to import file as dump: The file you are trying to upload is not a valid backup file</errmsg>
</response>
That is a critical error, migration was stopped.

Aleksey I found on the target server a backup file where there is a log saying:

Unable to restore data. The following files were corrupted:
backup_modsecurity_1510281513.tgz

Well done, let's see what actually happens. When Plesk Migrator start the migration, it make dump of source server domains (clients, resellers, etc), and store this dump in migration session directory (/usr/local/psa/var/modules/panel-migrator/sessions/migration-session/ by default). Format of this dump is the same as format of Plesk backup. Raw dump file named "plesk.backup.pfu.raw.tar" (suffix "raw" - is the name of config.ini section, where source server settings was specified). Then Plesk Migrator perfrom conversion of this raw dump according set of business rules and save result as "plesk.backup.pfu.converted.tar". After that Plesk Migrator tries to import converted dump as a valid XML backup into target Plesk.

According provided log entries, Plesk 12.5 is unable to process converted dump, so there are two possible root causes: dump agent (Plesk Migrator use the same agents, as Migration & Transfer Manager) make invalid raw dump, or Plesk Migrator perform conversion incorrectly, and converted dump become invalid. I suggest you try to import "plesk.backup.pfu.raw.tar" and "plesk.backup.pfu.converted.tar" into target Plesk 12.5 manually via GUI (Tools & Settings / Backup Manager, click Upload button at tool bar). Do not forget to check "Upload backup files without a valid signature". As I expect, upload will fail, and when you will open just created item (item should be appended into list of imported backups at Backup Manager title page), you will see a clean error of XML validation. According this error we can detect an issue and provide possible solution or hot fix.

Hi Aleksey I have the exact same error on a clean new plesk12.5 install on Debian 8 using plesk migrator CLI. I tried to download the plesk.backup.pfu.converted.tar file and upload via the gui but the only message shown in the gui is the corrupted backup modsecurity tgz one.

One thing I noticed is these files are tiny ~780Kb, should these be larger? im moving about 20 sites spanning about 18GB in total. not sure if plesk.backup.pfu.converted.tar is just the info about the backup or if its supposed to be the final migration package with all domain files etc.

thank you.

Hi KingPin, 780 Kb for 20 domains looks normal - it is just configuration dump, w/o files, database dumps or e-mails. Could you please try to migrate less part of your domains at one time? One or two, for example. Just to check, that overall works fine. May be problem in configuration of just single domain... Or, if you want, you can just send me (privately) this dump, and I try to check your case on our test environment.

Hi KingPin, 780 Kb for 20 domains looks normal - it is just configuration dump, w/o files, database dumps or e-mails. Could you please try to migrate less part of your domains at one time? One or two, for example. Just to check, that overall works fine. May be problem in configuration of just single domain... Or, if you want, you can just send me (privately) this dump, and I try to check your case on our test environment.
I will spin up a new vm when at work today and test, if nothing then I will send you the dump (i destroyed the old instance due to test procedure rules at work so no copy to send at this moment.)

will also test with different environment if possible.

thank you for your help :)

Just successfully finished a migration from Plesk 12.0.18 to fresh installed Plesk 12.5.30.
Honestly this manual procedure is a pain in the ***: 3 hours needed because of checks, etc...
With Migration Manager the job would have been completed in less than 30 minutes.
Sorry but, for now, the choice to replace Migration Manager with Plesk Migrator is a big fault.

so I tried this time with an Ubuntu 14.04 setup for plesk 12.5 and same results, I tried multiple domains and multiple customers, together and one by one with 100% failure. so, where do I send you the files and which files do I need to send you?

thank you.

3 hours needed because of checks, etc...
With Migration Manager the job would have been completed in less than 30 minutes
Flamenetworks, thank you for feedback! Could you please help us make Plesk Migrator better: that is the most annoying issue and should be fixed first? You wrote that migration was too long: which phase is the most time consuming and should be improved?

Failed with the error : Unable to validate the backup signature. The backup file might be modified, corrupted, created on another server or in an earlier Plesk version.

Christy Jacob Mathai, which operation you tried to perform, when receive this error? Actually, it is not a problem for Plesk Migrator, because such dumps was created via own agent, so there are no reasons to distrust it. Thus, sign will be useless. Corresponding error (code 116) will be ignored.

May be you tried to upload dump, created by Plesk Migrator into Plesk manualy, as regular backup? If yes, probably you forgot to check "Upload backup files without a valid signature" option.

Hi

I am trying to migrate from Plesk 12.0 to 12.5 and the migration wizard is coming up with an error. The log is as follows;

[INFO] ******************** Summary ********************
[INFO] Operation finished successfully for 6 out of 6 services
[INFO] Checked objects Total Successful Warnings Failed
[INFO] Service 6 6 0 0
[INFO] All services are working correctly.
[INFO] FINISH: check services on target servers
[INFO] FINISH: Check connections
[INFO] START: Fetch basic information about resellers, clients and domains data from source servers
[INFO] Deploy migration agent to '[my source ip address]'
[INFO] Create source panel migration dump.
[ERROR] Error downloading file: [Errno 2] No such file
[INFO] FINISH: Fetch basic information about resellers, clients and domains data from source servers
[INFO] START: Generate migration list file
[ERROR] Failed to generate migration list file
Cause: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'/usr/local/psa/var/modules/panel-migrator/sessions/20151102100608/plesk.backup.source.raw.tar'

I get the same result using the command line method and checking in the directories on the source server in /tmp/ directories are created for the migration agent but no files are in those directories

Any advice?

Hello and! Looks like agent failed to dump your source Plesk 12.0. Could you please provide me (privately) debug log? Also could you please look for file like /tmp/panel_migrator/migration_agent/tmp.<radom_suffix>/dump.log on your source server? It is a log of dump agent, which could be useful for investigation. Or directory /tmp/panel_migrator/ is completely empty?

Flamenetworks, thank you for feedback! Could you please help us make Plesk Migrator better: that is the most annoying issue and should be fixed first? You wrote that migration was too long: which phase is the most time consuming and should be improved?

Honestly, there are many "most annoying issues".

This Plesk Migrator doesn't work via GUI and migrations have to be done via command line. With Migration Manager the same operations were managed via GUI, without any problem.
We had to repeat the migration several times, in order to exclude "compatibility" checks and this increased task duration.
Also: Plesk Migrator doesn't migrate from admin account to reseller account. We had to migrate accounts from admin to admin, then move from admin to reseller.

Last edited:
Hello Guys,

we made many migrations with plesk 12.0.x but I do not get one only working with the new 12.5.. One new server had it out of the box and I have to transfer some domains to it. I would be glad there would be somebody who can help.

I always get these log (also trying it by console):

[INFO] START: Check if migration list file already exists
[INFO] FINISH: Check if migration list file already exists
[INFO] START: Check migrator updates
[INFO] FINISH: Check migrator updates
[INFO] START: Check connections
[INFO]
[INFO] START: check services on target servers
[INFO] Checking: Services
[INFO] Checking: Service web on target Plesk server
[INFO] Checking: Service ftp on target Plesk server
[INFO] Checking: Service mail on target Plesk server
[INFO] Checking: Service dns on target Plesk server
[INFO] Checking: Service mysql on target Plesk server
[INFO] Checking: Service plesk on target Plesk server (77.236.98.36)
[INFO]
Services' Issues
|
|- Service 'web on target Plesk server'
|
|- Service 'ftp on target Plesk server'
|
|- Service 'mail on target Plesk server'
|
|- Service 'dns on target Plesk server'
|
|- Service 'mysql on target Plesk server'
|
`- Service 'plesk on target Plesk server (77.236.98.36)'

[INFO] The report was saved into the file /usr/local/psa/var/modules/panel-migrator/sessions/20151102121923/test_service_report.2015.11.02.16.03.09
[INFO] ******************** Summary ********************
[INFO] Operation finished successfully for 6 out of 6 services
[INFO] Checked objects Total Successful Warnings Failed
[INFO] Service 6 6 0 0
[INFO] All services are working correctly.
[INFO] FINISH: check services on target servers
[INFO] FINISH: Check connections
[INFO] START: Fetch basic information about resellers, clients and domains data from source servers
[INFO] Using the existing shallow dump for 'source'
[INFO] FINISH: Fetch basic information about resellers, clients and domains data from source servers
[INFO] START: Generate migration list file
[ERROR] Failed to generate migration list file
Cause:

This Plesk Migrator doesn't work via GUI and migrations have to be done via command line. With Migration Manager the same operations were managed via GUI, without any problem.
We had to repeat the migration several times, in order to exclude "compatibility" checks and this increased task duration.
Also: Plesk Migrator doesn't migrate from admin account to reseller account. We had to migrate accounts from admin to admin, then move from admin to reseller.

Flamenetworks, Thank you for feedback! We are working hard to fix listed issues. We will publish updates as soon as we can. Your suggestion will be provided to UX team and taken into account for future improvements.

Actually, there is ability to reassign domains between accounts: you can do it via editing of migration list. Also it provide ability to assign domains to specific plans and add-ons, manage IP-mapping and so on. Documentation will be updated at the end of this week.

One new server had it out of the box and I have to transfer some domains to it. I would be glad there would be somebody who can help.

sb.ateliervision, I will be glad to help you! Could you please send me (privately) debug log of your migration. Probably you have an issue with dump agent and we already have a fix for you.

Instead of fooling around with CLI, why not create a way from within Plesk to transfer/copy/share/migrate 'Service Plans'
= problem solved.

Most of our employees, who setup hostingaccounts, don't even have SSH access, so no CLI for them. So CLI will be useless to use for them.

We're having the exact same issue. Have been trying to migrate from source server running Plesk 11.5.30 to target server running Plesk 12.5.30. The issue doesn't appear to happen with all domains, but does seem to affect most. Tried cloning the source server in a test environment and upgrading to Plesk 12.5.30 to see if migrations to the target server would work, but still no luck.

Migrations attempted both via CLI and GUI, both returning the same error ...

[ERROR] Failed to import backup dumps to target panel's repository
Cause: Failed to import backup XML: errcode must be '0' (no errors) or '116' (backup sign error).
Output of pmmcli utility:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<response>
<errcode>152</errcode>
<errmsg>Unable to import file as dump: The file you are trying to upload is not a valid backup file</errmsg>
</response>

Please help!

Hello, DeanK! Could you please send me (privately) source server dumps, generated by dump agent? It should be located in migration session directory:

/usr/local/psa/var/modules/panel-migrator/sessions/migration_session/plesk.backup.source.raw.tar
/usr/local/psa/var/modules/panel-migrator/sessions/migration_session/plesk.backup.source.converted.tar

Back