• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

MSSQL Unable to backup database Operating system error 5(Access is denied.)

Andrew_Newth

Basic Pleskian
12.0.18 update #39
Server 2012r2

Logged into my panel today to run a database backup on a site I'm working on to be confronted with the following:

Unable to backup database 'XXXXXXXXXX'
Cannot open backup device 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\Backup\XXXXXXXXX.co.nz\databases\XXXXXXXXX-29\test'. Operating system error 5(Access is denied.).
BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

(Error code 21)

I'm not sure why permissions would change on their own, I'm also not sure how to fix the permissions error. I get the same error on all databases.

PrivateTemp folder appears to have write permissions for Group MSSQLSERVER

Any advice appreciated.

OK I think I may have fixed this by giving MSSQLSERVER permissions on the the C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\Backup folder

ic you fixed it but shine some light on it. if you run plesk reconfiguration it will check all permissions for all systems and web files you use and if they are wrong the app will set the right ones.

I m also facing same issue, once resolved by giving permission to Backup folder in plesk installation directory, but it again showing same error message while taking db backup, I guess it was due to plesk 12 auto update, the permissions was removed. please suggest permanent solution.

I had a very similar problem. After plesk auto updated last night, I lost functionality on my web site. This was a mini-disaster for us as we run simulations which poll data off our server and had quite a few running last night (all of which bailed after not being able to connect for 6 hours).

Here's what happened. Our native WIN32 DLL using ODBC to connect to mysql started throwing ODBC errors of "Access Denied" while loading the driver. The psacln account had lost its permissions to C:\Program Files (x86)\MySQL\Connector ODBC 5.3 after the auto update of Plesk. After resetting the permissions manually everything works fine.

Unfortunately, this is basically a deal breaker re: plesk for me if there is not a reliable work around (other than manually setting permissions after every update). I simply cannot have my database go down at 1am and not be able to be fixed until I notice in the morning.

So this happened to me again last night. And again, it took out some of our simulations. I had to give the psacln account read access to c:\program files (x86)\mysql to fix it. AGAIN.

This is just really unprofessional and leaves a really, really bad taste in my mouth regarding plesk.

Back