• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Multiple FTP accounts per domain

VittorioV

New Pleskian
This function should be added to Plesk 9 Linux.

If someone knows latin:
"Quo usque tandem, Parallels, abutere patientia nostram?"

i'm not sure if this is what you're talking about, but you can set up multiple "users" with unique logins and passwords. As well, you can setup unique directories to which these "users" may upload and download files.

It is a solid secure directory that is also monitored by clamscan for viruses and spam during the uploads. Go to "dpmains", then click on the domain of choice, then in that interface under "web site" there is the button for "web users". Then at the top, under "tools" you can "add new user", which is basically a name with login and password for users.

For example I have one domain set up for six "users", each being a client for my photo and graphics business. I can load files there for their retrieval, and they can up and download also.

Hope this helps you.

i'm not sure if this is what you're talking about, but you can set up multiple "users" with unique logins and passwords. As well, you can setup unique directories to which these "users" may upload and download files.

It is a solid secure directory that is also monitored by clamscan for viruses and spam during the uploads. Go to "dpmains", then click on the domain of choice, then in that interface under "web site" there is the button for "web users". Then at the top, under "tools" you can "add new user", which is basically a name with login and password for users.

For example I have one domain set up for six "users", each being a client for my photo and graphics business. I can load files there for their retrieval, and they can up and download also.

Hope this helps you.

thanks for the input Michael, but as I understand this feature is about full-fledged FTP access to domain - webusers can only access one directory while sometimes it's needed to have separate users accessing entire domain via FTP, under different accounts.

Hi Denis.
It's very nice to know that under Windows we can have multiple FTP account, but when we running windows on a internet-exposed machine we have a lot of other problems.
Under linux exist a lot of Opensource FTP servers that implement VirtualHost, that is what we are asking all from at least 2 years (i'm stopping at 2 years only because is when i've buyed my plesk license and i've implemented my plesk server).
Plesk declare to use ProFTPD ver. 1.3.1 ,and the ProFTPD project, in the feature page at http://www.proftpd.org/features.html declares that in the ProFTPD features there is
# Per directory ".ftpaccess" configuration similar to Apache's ".htaccess".
# Easy to configure multiple virtual FTP servers and anonymous FTP services.

from version 1.3.0rc1 (that seems a version before the one that plesk use) release notes we see
Bug 2454 - Extend <VirtualHost> to honor multiple addresses. With this
change, the Bind directive is now deprecated. See the RELEASE_NOTES
for more details.

so it seems that ProFTPD is able to permit the management and creation of multiple virtualhost over multiple IP addresses.
it remains only the unix users permission system that can make some problems, but also that is solved from ProFTPD programmers, as you can see here http://www.proftpd.org/docs/howto/VirtualUsers.html :
every virtual user can have its own UID and GID assigned, so they can have the same UID/GID of the primary FTP user, or can be asked to the Admin , for example with a radio button, if they want to assign a new id or use the same as the primary FTP for that account.

so we don't understand.
what's the problem in giving also to Linux servers that ability, that seems also implemented in the sw that plesk use under linux?
also considering that this thing is asked at loud voice from all linux customers?
the technology to solve that issue seems

LegolasTheElf,

I have consulted with developers regarding this feature implementation.
They have informed me that implementation in progress now and should be included in the one of major Plesk release.
Now only manual adding FTP account can be performed as it is described here http://kb.odin.com/en/776

Have you an existing ETA for this or it seems like all the others similar problems that we have to wat for another plesk release, like "we have to bugfix the backup system but, be sure, in the next release will be fixed" (after that we have installed 2 minor that changes nothing to the backup) or like "we add this multiple-ftp account feature in linux in the next major release" (ver. 8.4 when we asked for that, we use 9.2.3, nothing changed) ?
because we REALLY appreciate the effort that parallers are used to do in change the GUI graphics (that five second after installation, normally, if we can we rebuild to have something called "branding" that works), but also have some much more "Tech Stuffs" like a working ftp backup domains system, or the ability to offer more than an FTP user to our customers, or a simpliest way to implement SSH certificates for the different mail domains, or a simple billing solution that works also out of the USA, or a way to sell from Plesk also virtual server instead of a way to install plesk into a virtual server (that is much more less useful) isn't a bad thing...

We are using a panel to offer to our customers the better internet experience that we can, otherwise they simply go with their domains to the most cheaper ISP. We pay Parallels to have not only a simple interface to the hosting world, but to have the BETTER simple interface to the hosting, elsewhere the internet world are full of free opensource well-done cpanels, but in this couple of years i've seen parallels very harmed about graphics , a little less about tech and abilities. we can wait for a changing in this ?

LegolasTheElf,

Thanks for kind words about our product. I cant provide you any ETA because I'm not responsible to provide ETA. Really, the company permanently moves forwards, develops old and releases absolutely new products with the expanded functionality. But not all that would be desirable can be implemented for various reasons - marketing, political, economic and other. We attentively gather all responses and we transfer it to developers, program managers for the analysis. Do not doubt, all your wishes and complaints are known to responsible people. We hear you and we will listen you further.

This is the easiest way I have found adding ftp accounts.

1) From your SSH terminal, use this command to grab the script:

wget uniondev.net/projects/plex_ua/plex_ua-0.1.5.sh

Make this script executable:

chmod 755 plex_ua-0.1.5.sh

Run this script:

./plex_ua-0.1.5.sh

And that's it!

Back