• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

MX problem when using an A-record

MarchelV

New Pleskian
Hello everyone.

I have a strange problem which I cannot solve.

On one of my domains (server is running Plesk/Odin 12 and Ubuntu server edition) I need to use an A-record to show a specific website.
To be sure the mail would still work I changed the MX record to the IP address of the server.

After waiting for at least 24 hours I did a nslookup on the domain which points towards the A-record.
Doing a nslookup on the mailserver I expected to see the IP address of the MX record... but no, I get the same as the A-record.

Could anyone please help me with this problem? Probably it's something easy which I missed.

Hi,

it would be easier if you told us which domain this is about so we could check.
However as far as I remember it is not valid to set an IP for an MX-Record.
You should create a Subdomain/A-Record as like mail.domain.tld or mx01.domain.tld and enter that as an MX-Record.

Regards,
Kristian

Hello,

The domain is 'urconnected.nl' which is hosted on a Strato server with IP address 85.214.36.229.

I created an A-record with value '93.186.183.118' which is the address of the website.
As MX records I created 'h2429295.stratoserver.net' which is the servername and as second MX record '85.214.36.229'.

I created these settings in the config site of Strato, they told me this was preffered above the settings in Plesk/Odin (no idea why)

Hi,

well at this moment you have the following setup:
Code:
$ host urconnected.nl
urconnected.nl has address 93.186.183.118
urconnected.nl mail is handled by 20 85.214.36.229.urconnected.nl.
urconnected.nl mail is handled by 10 h2429295.stratoserver.net.

Now as both MX Records point to the same server, that does not really make any sense.
Just delete your "Backup-MX" entry and everything should be fine.

DNS Settings in Plesk are not valid for your domain, as Strato has setup your Domain to use their DNS/Nameservers.
You can change that somewhere within their Interface, but I would not suggest you to do so, as it is recommended to
always have at least 2 DNS/Nameservers. You only have one though :)

Regards,
Kristian

Hello KristianM,

Just to be sure, I delete the first (85.214.36.229.urconnected.nl) MX record?
Assuming this is the backup MX record.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Hello again,

I removed th second MX record as you explained but still I cannot login to the mail.
If I send an email to a urconnected.nl mail address it seems to work, it isn't returned as unknown that is.

Is thwre anything else I could do/change so the email works?

Thanks in advance!

Hello all!

It seems the problem is solved!

I created a subdomain called 'mail'.urconnected.nl and gave that domain the A-record of the Strato server (85.214.36.229) and removed all MX records created earlier.
Now the website is redirected by the A-record of the url and the mail is redirected to mail.urconnected.nl which has it's own A-record.

Thanks everyone and especially Sjef Huijbregts, Strato Customer Care employee!

Back