• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

My Opinion about Plesk

H

Higgins12

Some of our Costumers want to have Plesk as there Webhosting Panel so we decided do them a flavour and build a Server with Plesk as the Hosting Panel. The Server is for ~ 200 Costumers which wanted to Switch.

After Installing, Configuring and try to Migrate the Costumers Data to the new Server all i can say this Software is Horroble.

I have installed many Cpanel Server's (We normaly only use Cpanel) and all Installations went smooth and without any Problem or Interaction. You can sit back, Relax and take a Cup of Coffee. With Plesk this isnt possible. So many Errors during the Installation which needed to be solved i have never seen befor.

When all is setup i tried to Migrate the Data from Cpanel Server but the Migration-Agent seems the Next unfinished Step in this "Big-Beta". Sure he takes the Webdata of the Costumers but i was never been able to get any Mysql-Databases or Email Accounts to the new Server. This had be all done by Hand and with 200 Accounts this is a lot Work as you can imagine. (Why the hack the Agent wants to connect to the Database with no Password - anyone leaving the Root-Mysql Account with no Password ?? )

So after Migrating all by Hand and a lot of Coffee we run into the Next Problems. Mail didnt Work (ohh yeah Qmail :( ) Horde didnt Work, FTP Login's didnt Work. all Accounts needed to be "fine-tuned" cause the Agent didnt take any of the Cpanel Settings like Quota, Subdomains etc pp.

I have Transfered many Accounts from Plesk to Cpanel and never had any Problem with it.

The Transfer was 1 Week ago and we still trying to fix all these Plesk Errors. When i read the Forums i see many many Posts about Errors after Updates to a newer Version, with broken Plesk or non funktionell Websites.

Our Costumers are unsatisfied with this Software and now want to Switch back to Cpanel.

So maybe sometime Plesk will come out of his Longyear Beta State and will offer a Sofware which we can use on Live Servers.

For now i never would recommend to use Plesk on a Hosting Server.

Originally posted by Higgins12
For now i never would recommend to use Plesk on a Hosting Server.
:mad: Full ack
Plesk is not production ready!

I've already started the slow migration of all my sites from Plesk to CPanel. I have one site that simply can NOT be down... none of this "the site works whenever the server is not processing mail" bull ****, and I'm tired of waiting for sw-soft to come out of hiding and actually fix everything they screwed up.
For the past 4 years, I have been pushing Plesk on people, telling them that it's user-friendly, stable, and efficient. I spent the last month apologizing to all those people, and promising them something better in the coming weeks.
sw-soft still can't seem to address the load issue caused by qmail, something that was pointed out within 48 hours of 8.0.0's initial release. This shows a complete lack of professionalism, and I still laugh when I see their documentation saying they support cross-version backup/restore, yet knowing that they fail to actually do so. False advertising, anyone?
A simple search query on Google supports that the problem is a lot wider than one or two users, yet the problems continue to go unanswered.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="Plesk+8"+problems
I'm real unimpressed with this Control Panel at the moment, and I really do not see myself forking out the money to renew the license the next time it comes due. I'm thinking the money can be better spent on a product that actually works.

The ball is in your court, sw-soft. What are you planning on doing with it?

From my Expierince with sw-soft "support" its something what you cant Name support. I send a Support Request 4 Days ago and didnt received any Answer until now.

When i hd send support request's to Cpanel i gat a Answer within 1 or 2 Hours in most Times under 1 Hour.

Maybe sw-soft "supprt" is Answering faster but i dont have that Expirience.

All in one i will never ever offer my Costumers Plesk better we explain how unstable and problematic it is.

We stick with Cpanel and will be fine.

High Load

NightStorm, everybody knows that all the Plesk initial releases are very buggy. You have to wait at least 2 months before upgrading.

I have a friend that still uses Plesk 6 and its working, Im starting to think the same. Why to upgrade to 8 ? The real needed features and bugfixes remain the same.

I have Plesk 7.5.4 with qmail greylisting (works fine).
Im not going to upgrade my SUS anymore and Im going to start using XEN with Plesk.

Regards
Joao Correia

If it shouldn't be used for 2 months, why the Hell should it be released for 2 months? Because sw-soft likes to dump untested products on public users and use them as beta testers... while telling them that the product is stable (as opposed to beta, or possibly the pre-beta that we were dumped with) and that they are highly suggested to upgrade in order to continue receiving any support.

Thats about it ...

What I dont understand is why SW-SOFT doesnt make a BETA TEST team !

I guess the un-warned are the beta testers ! forced beta-tester hehehe

Plesk is always beta

I use Plesk from 5.x version to 8. There was no Plesk release without a lot of bugs. When after "world wide beta testing" most of bugs become fixed, you get a mail in your mailbox "New Plesk Released". This means "If You don't want to be left with realy old PHP, MYSQL and etc, give as another money and start working on our new Plesk release.".
The solution is simple. If you need quality product don't use SWSoft products at all. They will never be fixed up to commerce level of stability. Besides if you want to get something like hosting panel for $ 150-300 Plesk will be right choice for you.

I agree, the product has bugs -- but I've also found SWsoft support to be able and willing to address issues within reason.

Could it be better? Of course!

Howver, my experience in upgrading/migrating from an Ensim platform to Plesk has been largely positive.

in addition, my personal experience with Swsoft support has been positive -- as has been the help and information I've received on this forum on occasion.

All in all, a good experience. A trusted consultant recommended I go to Plesk some time ago. We finally made the jump. While there have been some bumps, I don't regret it, whatsoever.

Back