• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Name Based Hosting before DNS resolves

G

gmoody

I need to know how it is possible to allow the customer to see their site before DNS resolves on a shared ip. I have it set up on my 6.0 unix box, but haven't found anything about it for 6.5 Windows.

If you go into IP Aliasing, select the IP that the customer is on and click the number at the end of it below where it says "h" it will take you to a list of websites being hosted on that IP Address. Select the one you are looking for and set it as default. Now, when someone goes to that IP they will see that customers site.

Larry Stevens
CTO
DDI Hosting

When you create a new domain in Plesk, Plesk creates a virtual directory in IIS. For example, say the domain you are creating is called "domain.com", it will simply be accessible at the following URL :

http://xx.xx.xx.xx/domain.com_non_ssl/

You can replace "xx.xx.xx.xx" with the IP you assigned to the domain when you created it in Plesk.

This allows you to access the website content, even if "domain.com" does not resolve to it.

Cheers,
Minh

Now, if I could just get these issues fixed so I could think I would have realized that. :)

It is good to know though as we provide site design services also.

Larry Stevens
CTO
DDI Hosting

We simply advice our customers to add

aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd domain.com
aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd www.domain.com

lines with notepad to their hosts file (C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) who wanted to see his website before domain propogates.

Adding DNS Servers is a good idea, but if they are not the top DNS Servers than what is returned from the first ones will be used by Windows, not the lower ones.

Utilizing the IP default is probably one of the easiest option as long as the customer has actually issued a DNS request so you can change it back in a day.

This is windows, there are no config files. :)
This is the easiest way since it uses virtual domains in IIS and not real domains with host-headers. Besides, the propogation window for dns is only 24-48hrs.

and also how would this work with FTP?
can i make it so that their domain a subdomain. I know i can. but would have to do this manually through IIS. But a way when i create a domain it puts http://Domain.Filebreeze.com Automaticly so my users really wouldnt have to mess with DNS if they didnt want to. they would have instant access to their account after setup. can plesk make this happen in this way? Or is it just not possible unless i manually do it.

Back