• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Plesk for Windows (Godaddy Website Hosting) and Microsoft RPC Service

AJS2023

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Windows Server 2019
Plesk version and microupdate number
Obsidian (18.x)
Hi everyone!
I am currently hosting a basic website on Godaddy's Plesk for Windows hosting service. We have a Coalition Control security scan that regularly scans the site and one of the critical findings concerns the Microsoft Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service being active/available. I am trying to figure out if this is something can can be disabled, or at least restricted on the Plesk server. The scan reports multiple instances of the service running on our server's public IP address (same IP address but different port number for each instance).
Does anyone know if this is something that can be fixed within Plesk?
I have gone through the various settings and options in Plesk but I don't see anything that appears to be directly related to this service.
Below is the "risk evidence" our report provides which seems to show the service is up and running on our server.
{
"data.service.product": "Microsoft Windows RPC"
}

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

"We highly recommend that you configure the Windows firewall in the server operating system to block all remote procedure calls (RPC) and communications to the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) services."

"We highly recommend that you configure the Windows firewall in the server operating system to block all remote procedure calls (RPC) and communications to the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) services."
Thank you for the info ! Unfortunately it does not appear I have access to any of those options on the Plesk admin console. From what I can tell GoDaddy appears to limit access to those options (for example it does not appear I can edit the registry , and there is no firewall option on the admin console ). I did contact GD support before posting this thread but they were not able to help at that time. They are escalating it to another internal team and are supposed to follow up with me.
From what I can see the GoDaddy Plesk admin panel looks completely different than the one on the official Plesk documentation page. At this point it looks like it may be something beyond my control or ability to change. Either that or there is a separate admin panel that I have completely overlooked. :)

Are you logged in as "admin"? What license are you using? In the Web Admin edition, your view might by "Poweruser View" which can look different from other views.

In my experience, it's a good idea to set up your server's firewall to block or limit who can access the ports that the RPC service uses. This is especially important for people trying to connect from outside your network. You can set the firewall to allow only certain IP addresses or groups of IP addresses that really need to use the service. This way, you can keep things more secure.

Back