• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Named not starting with Centos7 and Plesk 12

OlivierV

New Pleskian
Hello

After installing the last version of Plesk v12 on Centos 7, no way to start the named service :
Bind was installed but all configuration file were made for bind-chroot.

Solution :
  • save all configuration files /var/named/chroot/var
  • save named.conf file /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf
  • install bind-chroot : yum install bind-chroot
  • Restore all saved files
  • make the link in etc : ln -s /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf /etc/named.conf
  • edit named.conf and set directory value in options part : /var/named/chroot/var
  • start the service : service named start
Hope it will help.

Evoweb.fr
(sorry for my bad english)

Thank you for solution. Seems there is the same issue - http://talk.plesk.com/threads/bind-not-starting.329046/

Hi Olivier and Igor,

That indeed looks like it could be the solution!

Have tried steps above, at step 3 I'm getting:

# yum install bind-chroot
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
base | 3.6 kB 00:00:00
extras | 3.4 kB 00:00:00
updates | 3.4 kB 00:00:00
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
* base: mirrors.coreix.net
* extras: mirrors.coreix.net
* updates: mirror.econdc.com
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package bind-chroot.x86_64 32:9.9.4-14.el7 will be installed
--> Processing Conflict: plesk-dns-bind-driver-12.0.18-cos7.build1200140811.16.noarch conflicts bind-chroot
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: plesk-dns-bind-driver conflicts with 32:bind-chroot-9.9.4-14.el7.x86_64
You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

Do I uninstall "ples-dns-bind-driver", ignore, or.......?? :)

Simon.

Hi all,

Unfortunately the steps above didn't work for me :-(

Actually, I'm not sure if them NOT working was a good thing. From what I've read over the last couple of days, bind-chroot alongside Plesk wasn't a good idea in the past, but I think the package plesk-dns-bind-driver is Plesk's equivalent of this? So BIND is actually running chroot'd, but not using the bind-chroot package? Anyway, I might be wrong on that.

For the benefit of any future forum searches though, the fix in my case was found using:

# named-checkconf -t /var/named/chroot -z
zone example.com/IN: NS 'example.com' has no address records (A or AAAA)
zone example.com/IN: not loaded due to errors.
_default/example.com/IN: bad zone

(Obviously, example.com wasn't the proper domain name on my server)

Reviewing the zone file /var/named/chroot/var/example.com, I realised there was no A/AAAA entry for ns.example.com, BUT there was an "NS" resource record that pointed there. Then it dawned on me.. a few days earlier I'd changed the "DNS Zone Template" (applying it to all sites too). I'd REMOVED the A/AAAA records pointing to <ip.dns> and <ip6.dns>, but I hadn't removed the NS record pointing to ns.<domain>. Problem hadn't become apparent immediately as it's only been a development box up to now that hasn't been commissioned yet :-\

(The purpose of me removing the records was simply that the name server stuff will be taken care of elsewhere.. unfortunately I'd overlooked the "NS" record that I'd left in place!)

So - if you see the same problem I've described in my original post; BIND not loading, references to "failed: file not found" (which I originally thought was file not found/permissions related)... you probably haven't made the bumbling mistake I have, and I'll not embarrass myself saying how long it took me to realise and fix it, but perhaps it'll help diagnose it if you check the layout of your zone files :0)

named-checkconf -t /var/named/chroot -z

Would it be helpful if Plesk pointed this out when you tried to start it through the admin UI? Probably - but it can't do everything I suppose!!

Simon.

Hi Olivier and Igor,

That indeed looks like it could be the solution!

Have tried steps above, at step 3 I'm getting:

# yum install bind-chroot
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
base | 3.6 kB 00:00:00
extras | 3.4 kB 00:00:00
updates | 3.4 kB 00:00:00
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
* base: mirrors.coreix.net
* extras: mirrors.coreix.net
* updates: mirror.econdc.com
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package bind-chroot.x86_64 32:9.9.4-14.el7 will be installed
--> Processing Conflict: plesk-dns-bind-driver-12.0.18-cos7.build1200140811.16.noarch conflicts bind-chroot
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: plesk-dns-bind-driver conflicts with 32:bind-chroot-9.9.4-14.el7.x86_64
You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

Do I uninstall "ples-dns-bind-driver", ignore, or.......?? :)

Simon.

I have this problem as well. Isn't plesk-dns-bind-driver supposed to be managing the bind-chroot for us? Should we really be installing another chroot manager for bind when Plesk is supposed to have this covered? Isn't it going to cause conflicts later?

Hi websavers,

The post you've quoted from me above was later followed up by another one where I found the cause of my prob was a misconfiguration in the BIND config files.

I didn't make any package changes. If you read that post it MAY help you if your problem is similar to what mine was (i.e, config files)

http://talk.plesk.com/threads/named-not-starting-with-centos7-and-plesk-12.329025/#post-769082

Yeah, I caught that. I added to this thread because I think that your questions about using bind-chroot packages alongside Plesk's utility is still a valid question. That said, I found a solution to my issue in using the correct commands with CentOS 7: systemctl start named-chroot rather than using the CentOS6 acceptable: service named start.

I have this problem as well. Isn't plesk-dns-bind-driver supposed to be managing the bind-chroot for us? Should we really be installing another chroot manager for bind when Plesk is supposed to have this covered? Isn't it going to cause conflicts later?

Hi websavers,

Plesk's "plesk-dns-bind-driver" is not a "bind configuration checker", nor is Plesk shipped with bind. The Plesk "plesk-dns-bind-driver" helps to configure the domains on your server, but you have to make sure, that the bind package from your very own vendor is installed and works as expected.

Hi websavers,

Plesk's "plesk-dns-bind-driver" is not a "bind configuration checker", nor is Plesk shipped with bind. The Plesk "plesk-dns-bind-driver" helps to configure the domains on your server, but you have to make sure, that the bind package from your very own vendor is installed and works as expected.

I assumed that the conflict between the bind-chroot package and the plesk-dns-bind-driver lies in the fact that the plesk-dns-bind-driver set up the chroot for us, in the same way that the bind-chroot package does. It made sense given that the installation of bind-chroot created a conflict as was reported previously in this thread (and as I discovered).

So to be clear, I'm not confusing the plesk-dns-bind-driver with bind, but rather comparing the funcationality of the package called bind-chroot with the plesk-dns-bind-driver package. I think I'm right to be comparing them because from what I can tell both of them individually set up bind automatically to work in a jailed environment, however the plesk package does it specifically for Plesk.

The issue I had (and have resolved) made me think that Plesk wasn't setting up the chroot properly, hence the questions about the solution at the top of this thread and the conflict. To answer my own questions, I don't think it's a good idea for anyone to try to install the bind-chroot package alongside the plesk-dns-bind-driver package -- they likely conflict for good reason.

Also I believe that my issue was the same as the original poster on this thread and I have found what I believe to be a more 'correct' solution which you can read at the bottom of my post here.

Last edited:
Yesterday I made on 2 servers yum update and this updated some packages. Not bind, but kernel, systemd etc. On both server after this I got this DNS weird stuffs.
The only was how I solved, (I tried all) it was with autoinstaller, deactivated plesk-dns-bind-driver, then yum install bind-chroot, then reinstalled plesk-dns-bind-driver.

After this service named start does not work but instead of this work
service named-chroot start

Do not ask me why, it is weird to me still and it was around 2AM, so I will rest on this now.

Back