• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

offtopic networking question

B

benbroad

Hi, I have an off-topic networking problem. If anyone knows a better forum for me to ask this please let me know as it is doing mu head in.

When I am working on a site, I edit the files then upload them to the server and look at them in a browser. All good so far... the problem is that frequently bits fail to load (css, images, the page itself). This only happens when I open them from the office, and other sites seem to be fine. It seems to get worse if I am frequently making minor changes to a file.

Any ideas on how I can track down what is causing this? I have looked using ethereal and get a lot of retransmissions, but I dont know why.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as it gets very frustrating trying to test sites when I have to reload the page 4 times to do so.

Ben.

If it were me, the next thing I would check is to see if it also happens from other locations. If the re-tries occur from multiple locations, then it localizes the problem to the server or ISP/network it's on. If it's only happening from the one office connection but not others, then it may be a routing issue from that office ISP to the server's ISP network.

Thanks for your reply James. It happens from all the machines in the office (we only have the one office!) so we figured it might be an ISP problem, but it only happens when we are connecting to either of our webservers. We can connect to anywhere else fine; and we can connect to the servers fine from anywhere else but here.

Is there any way of seeing where abouts packets are being lost?

I would start by running traceroute from an office PC, and compare by also running one at dnsstuff.com:

http://www.dnsstuff.com (choose traceroute)

I am assuming that your profile has one of your websites. Where I am currently (client's office) the traceroute for that domain shows a very slow response at schlund.net's routers, but better results from dnsstuff's traceroute.

You're a star. Many thanks for that, it gives me somewhere to start if nothing else.

Back