• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Onyx Ubuntu

Oliver Marugg

Basic Pleskian
Hi all

Running 12.5.30 on Ubuntu 14.04.5 I am considering the upgrade to Onyx and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I only have some domains running actually, nothing important.

a. What is the best way to do the upgrade: First upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and then Onyx, or even Onyx first and the Ubuntu?
b. How to upgrade? It is recommended to do that now or later reaching a current env?

Greets

Oliver

Unfortunately, distupgrade from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 is not supported if you have Plesk installed.
Therefore you can only two variants - migration to new Plesk Onyx server with Ubuntu 16.04 or create full server backup on your old Plesk, then fresh install Ubuntu 16.04 and Plesk Onyx and restore backup from old server.

@Oliver Marugg

Some additional information might be more desirable.

There is a "huge leap" from Ubuntu 14.04.x LTS to Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS: it is essentially a complete "system overhaul", a lot has changed.

This requires a "different kind of Plesk", being the reason that

- Plesk 12.5.30 will not work on Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
- Plesk Onyx (17.0.x) will work on both 14.04.x LTS and 16.04.1 LTS
- an in-place upgrade of Ubuntu will cause the Plesk instance to malfunction
- an in-place upgrade of Plesk 12.5.30 to Plesk Onyx, followed by an in-place upgrade of Ubuntu (to 16.04.1 LTS), will mostly fail due to package and data corruption related issues

In short, it is not recommended to do any kind of in-place upgrading, it is ONLY safe to use the two variants suggested by @IgorG.

Note that I personally recommend the migration variant: simply migrate data to the new Onyx instance.

Also note that Onyx is in preview, it certainly cannot do harm to wait a bit before using Onyx in a production environment.

Regards.......

Well, what is it?

Not preview, not stable, but ...........alpha, beta, release candidate? or just Onyx 17.0.17???

I personal feel that the forum members should know what they can expect from Onyx, in order to allow them to determine the moment of using Onyx in a production environment.

I will respond to the "dist-upgrade post" later on.........since that will cause complications, if one does not know the upgrade paths in Ubuntu.

Sorry, dist-upgrade from 14.04 to 16.04 is supported in Plesk Onyx - https://docs.plesk.com/en-US/17.0/a...ver-administration/distupgrade-support.74627/
So, you can use it in your case.

@IgorG,

It is supported, but the whole process is not reliable: dist-upgrade will cause many issues, with Ubuntu and Plesk.

Note that there are many options to upgrade Ubuntu (depending on the version), being (from the top of my head)

a) in version 14.04.x LTS, with: apt-get dist-upgrade
b) in version 14.04.x LTS, with: apt full-upgrade
c) in latest (but not all) versions of Ubuntu 14.04.x LTS, with: apt-get do-release-upgrade
d) in version 15.10, with the options mentioned in point a), b) and c)
e) in version 15.10, with: apt-get do-release-upgrade

and, at least in most cases, the proper method to upgrade Ubuntu is to use option a), irregardless of the version of Ubuntu.

Note there are some limitations, since the "smart resolution system" of the dist-upgrade command is relying on the contents of the file /etc/apt/sources.list.

For instance, if you are

- running a VPS or a dedicated machine, the dist-upgrade command can have no effect, if the ISP does not support Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
- using a custom set of repositories, the dist-upgrade command can result in an unpredictable outcome

and so on.

Note the most important part: Ubuntu and Plesk are recommending the do-release-upgrade command (see point c)), as follows from

- https://docs.plesk.com/en-US/17.0/a...ver-administration/distupgrade-support.74627/
- https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/installing-upgrading.html

but the following applies: your Plesk 12.5.30 (on an Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS, after upgrading) can become a little bit cumbersome (depending on the original Plesk environment AND the degree in which the upgrade has been successful), implying that an upgrade from Plesk 12.5.30 to Onyx (17.0.17) can become a little bit troublesome.

The latter part is a danger that is always present, but the chance on problems decreases when using the apt-get dist-upgrade command.

This has a little bit of history: the do-release-upgrade command, as introduced in Ubuntu 15.10 (a intermediate step towards Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS, hence the new command), has been backported to Ubuntu 14.04.x LTS (a backport with some trouble and bugs though, with most bugs being resolved at this moment).

Anyway, if and whenever possible, first try to create a new and fresh Plesk Onyx instance and migrate the data from the (old) Plesk 12.5.30 server.

Hope the above helps a bit.

Regards.....

Last edited:
Have you seen in the mentioned Wiki article what is before GA? Right, RTM.

Again............."ehm, not a good idea".

Never mind........there is always a first step to the market and a number of bug fixes afterwards......as it should be.

And it is good to see that we had 17.0.16 a couple of days ago, that we now have a RTM in the form of 17.0.17 and that we can use it.

I do miss the official announcement in the "onyx preview thread", stating that there has been a release (the last post only states that the preview has ended).

Shout it from the roof! You can be damned proud of Onyx, it is finally there and the world should know it!

Hi all

First of all many thanks for all contributors in this discussion, there are many aspects I didnt realize before. For me I see that a clean install U16.04 with plesk 17 would be the best way instead of migrating the old up to a newer level.
Has anyone made some experience with the plesk backup (done in 12.5.30 and restored in 17)?

Greets Oliver

@Oliver Marugg

With respect to your remark

Has anyone made some experience with the plesk backup (done in 12.5.30 and restored in 17)?

I can state that, at least in theory, it should not make any difference at all.

The Plesk Migrator uses a very similar or even almost identical procedure (as regular backup processes) to store data from the source server.

The main advantage of Plesk Migrator is that it transfers the data immediately, as opposed to a regular backup, in which process data has to be transferred and restored manually.

In addition, Plesk Migrator is a bit more fail-safe (read: it has some nice control features) than regular backups.

In short, Plesk Migrator is really designed to migrate data, whereas Plesk backup is intended to create a (static) backup.

Regards.......

@Oliver Marugg

I do not know how many domains (and/or data) have to be migrated, but maybe I can offer some assistance: start a conversation with me (just hover on my profile and click "conversation").

Regards........

Just as a feedback for other Early adopters, and just for testing purposes:
I made an upgrade from Plesk 12.5.30 to 17, I tried and it run smooth. Despite all warnings I upgraded Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 and it happend: It failed to unuseable state (whatever - I knew before) and nothing went well afterwards!
Now I did a fresh clean install with Ubuntu 16.04 and Plesk 17.0.17. I am still configuring and testing some edges, but it seems quite fine for my purposes.

Just as a feedback for other Early adopters, and just for testing purposes:
I made an upgrade from Plesk 12.5.30 to 17, I tried and it run smooth. Despite all warnings I upgraded Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 and it happend: It failed to unuseable state (whatever - I knew before) and nothing went well afterwards!
Now I did a fresh clean install with Ubuntu 16.04 and Plesk 17.0.17. I am still configuring and testing some edges, but it seems quite fine for my purposes.

Have to make a decision too, Ubuntu 14.04 and Plesk 17.0.17 are installed.
Did you have tried all the things in section 'Recovering from a Failed Dist-Upgrade' without success?

My VPS is from Strato and they are messing up repository settings all the time, someone told me :(

Back