• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Input Performancebooster

LTUser

Regular Pleskian
It's a bit confusing that the "Performance Booster" on Web only works in conjunction with Nginx.
Does this have any particular reason?

Many, including us, only use Apache because it would be too much overhead and more error-prone to use both.

Is there anyone here who would also like to have improved the performance of Apache without using Nginx?

The most narrow bottleneck is actually Apache. It does not make much sense to optimize Apache traffic when you have Nginx. By switching to Nginx or at least using the proxy combination your websites will already be sped up strongly. So before thinking about optimizing anything else, turning on Nginx will not increase, but reduce the overhead, because it will sort out static content from the traffic and also provide micro caching for such files.

The most narrow bottleneck is actually Apache. It does not make much sense to optimize Apache traffic when you have Nginx. [...]
I agree with you, but only when it comes to static content.
As soon as it comes to content that is constantly changing, such as in forums or WordPress with a forum function, the Apache/Nginx team tends to slow down a server. In addition, the processor load increases significantly.

If Apache is already badly configured, Nginx can improve some things, but at what cost?

Then I'd rather have either Apache (with mod_event) _o_r Nginx, although Nginx is difficult to configure for most people and there is not enough information about Nginx relative to Apache.

Then there is the fact that Nginx is not the default web server for any distribution. You should take that into account.

And always keep in mind whether the content is static or dynamic. For the latter, Nginx is a nightmare when paired with Apache, and Apache alone, properly configured, is as good as Nginx alone. Therefore, something that wants to manage both should also be able to make _both_ performant.

It would then be better to write "performance booster for nginx" so that no one has false expectations and is disappointed.

I don't think it is possible to make Apache run fast, at least no compared to Nginx. Instead, why not consider disabling proxy mode and running the site on Nginx-only? That will really make it fast. If you do that, pick "PHP-FPM via Nginx" for the PHP service. Maybe you want to try that on a subdomain where you clone your existing site to? You can then directly measure the performance difference that results just from that little strategy update.

and running the site on Nginx-only?

As I mentioned before, I'm one of those people who has no experience with NGinx - certainly not with porting an existing Apache2 (domain) configuration with http/2 from Apache to Nginx.

I configured Apache2 to run very efficiently. (mod_event / php-fpm 8.2.x - static / http/2...)
The entire Apache2 configuration is in memory (Additional Apache directives (https)), .htaccess is only used in a few selected directories.

Back