• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Permission denied with session.save_path

_gmic_

New Pleskian
Hello,

I'm encountering an unusual problem regarding user permissions.

I have a site1 on a Plesk server, the session.save_path is the default one (/var/lib/php5, ower is root:root and permissions are drwx-wx-wt).
PHP is ran as an Apache module. The user Apache is www-data and it's in groups www-data, psaserv, psacln, psasb.

PHP sessions are working almost perfectly, but I have from time to time this kind of errors :
Code:
Unknown: open(/var/lib/php5/sess_kr5krp6eqov59fkd50a17ujhj1, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13)

It's completly random, 95% of PHP sessions are OK, 5% return an error.

To investigate this problem, I've created a site2 with Plesk, and I've changed in the site settings the save_path option (like this solution : http://kb.odin.com/en/7056).
I have on this site2 a session.save_path set to /var/www/vhosts/site2.com/private/session
I've created this directory and set permissions to 0777, but I have the same error
Code:
Unknown: open(/var/www/vhosts/site2.com/private/session/sess_m8sv32uoaspjj3riparlnseiv2, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13)

Code:
# ls -l
drwxrwxrwx 2 www-data www-data 4096 sept.  2 14:58 session

How could this directory not being writable as it have a 777 permission ?

I found many occurrences of this problem, but none of the solutions are solving my case.

Do you have any suggestions I can try ?

Thanks !

I think you have setup incorrect ownership for your session directory, Please try to setup correct ownership and check it

~# mkdir /var/www/vhosts/domain.tld/private/php_sess
~# chown <ftpuser>:psacln /var/www/vhosts/domain.tld/private/php_sess
~# chmod 0700 /var/www/vhosts/domain.tld/private/php_sess

Hello,

thank you for your answer.

I've deleted and then created the directory using the command you gave me :

Code:
ls -l /var/www/vhosts/site/private/
total 4
drwx------ 2 vincent psacln 4096 sept.  4 16:06 php_sess

Unfortunately it doesn't change anything :

Code:
[Thu Sep 04 16:16:33 2014] [error] [client X.X.X.X] PHP Warning:  Unknown: open(/var/www/vhosts/site/private/php_sess/sess_rmb2g5hke1cls2r5cm5ju8vq21, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in Unknown on line 0
[Thu Sep 04 16:16:33 2014] [error] [client X.X.X.X] PHP Warning:  Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/www/vhosts/site/private/php_sess)

Something to note, I have 2 directories for my site, /var/www/vhosts/site.tld/ and /var/www/vhosts/_.site.tld/, I don't know why... Anyway I've tried with both directories, same result.

Back