• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 10.4.4 SSL issue

The desktop OS on which you're running IE. Is it Windows XP?

Oh sorry! I see

The OS is Windows 7, however i've tried it on my windows server (2008 R2), and on a friends mac (what ever OS they run on), so it's not an isolated issue with XP.

Cheers,
Dan

Oh sorry! I see

The OS is Windows 7, however i've tried it on my windows server (2008 R2), and on a friends mac (what ever OS they run on), so it's not an isolated issue with XP.

Cheers,
Dan

Was following up on "I've confirmed the sucessful installation of my SSL cert and it works fine in Fifefox, safari, chrome, opera... just not IE" - just trying to determine where it broken and where its not. So, it is broken in IE across all Windows, but on the Mac side, it is broken in Safari? Or it works? And - to be clear, this is an SSL cert deployed to a shared IP (SNI), right?

Was following up on "I've confirmed the sucessful installation of my SSL cert and it works fine in Fifefox, safari, chrome, opera... just not IE" - just trying to determine where it broken and where its not. So, it is broken in IE across all Windows, but on the Mac side, it is broken in Safari? Or it works? And - to be clear, this is an SSL cert deployed to a shared IP (SNI), right?

Shared IP and, as far as I can see, it works on every browser and platform except IE.

Thanks

SNI was added to Plesk 10.2. That said, both 10.1.1 and 10.2 are very old versions. Our latest 10.x version is Plesk 10.4 (and actually, Plesk 11.0 was released today). I would recommend updating then trying again:

10.x: www.parallels.com/download/plesk/10
11.x: www.parallels.com/download/plesk/11

Hello Blake,

my hoster Strato doesn't let me update to a higher version than 10.1.1 on this server (OS: openSuSe). On our other server at Strato runs Ubuntu. There we can use 10.4.4 as the latest version.
But even if I would have the possibility to update, I would not want to! I am fighting against problems within all of our customers websites because of the update to PHP 5.3 (that comes with 10.4.4) on the other server since weeks now! I hate plesk for not having an easy way to install a second older php-Version - another issue that I have tried to solve for a few days and then gave up. But this belongs not in this thread...

Whatever: I could install and use the certificate on my older Plesk on Version 8 and 9. Why couldn't I on version 10.1.1??? Is it a bug of this special version or not? Maybe I can ask Strato to let me install a never version below 10.4 that runs still with PHP 5.2.x but I only will try that when I know that the SSL-problem is solved then.

So, does anyone have another answer than "Update Plesk"?

Best regards

Hello Blake,

my hoster Strato doesn't let me update to a higher version than 10.1.1 on this server (OS: openSuSe). On our other server at Strato runs Ubuntu. There we can use 10.4.4 as the latest version.

Best regards

I'm with Strato also, same issue.

I just wanted to ask if someone here has found a solution for the problem?

I've sent a support-mail to my provider and asked about giving me the possibility to update to plesk 10.2.x or 10.3.x. As I said, I don't want to update to 10.4.x because of the PHP-version. Some comments let me hope that this certificate-bug will be solved in these versions.
Unfortunately my provider havn't wrote me yet.

Same issue here with 10.4.4 MU36 on Debian squeeze x86_64.
For now I'm using dedicated IPs with SSL-certificates assigned via admin-backend.
I have tried all - this is the only way it's working...

Update

We've had to launch our site, so we've moved it to a Windows server and bought a new SSL for now. If anyone resolves this issue please let me know, the only way around it for me is by having one SSL on a dedicated IP, multiple SSL's or shared IP's just wont work without causing the error which is useless if you run more than one website.

My Provider finally wrote me back a few days ago. It seems that my System is too old. openSUSE 11.1 only supports Plesk up to 10.1.x: http://www.parallels.com/de/products/plesk/lifecycle
Oh, if I only havn't updated my Plesk installation. Now I have to tell the customers that their websites and email will be offline another few hours, update the whole system, hoping that no other problems appear with this update and also hoping that the newer version of Plesk can do the easy job with the certificates that Version 9 could...

Why can't anyone of the Parallels tell in which Version of Plesk 10 this works again??? The only message that "Blake" wrote is that I have an old version. Nice! Thank you very much!
And don't think about writing: 10.4.4 - I don't want to update to PHP 5.3 - I can't say that often enough.

I guess now I have to decide: Do I update my system and hope as described above or do I change the IP of the customer to a deticated one, tell him that his site will be unreachable for about 6-24 hours (DNS-change). Both will not make the customer very happy...
I'm beginning to understand why so many people ni forums don't like Plesk - when an update makes a product worse and no one can give a solution...

I'll write again when I have decided what I'm going to do...

Our release notes and system requirements are easily accessible and I wrote 2 weeks ago that SNI is only supported by 10.2 and higher: http://forum.parallels.com/showpost.php?p=627157&postcount=18

But what I want to do doesn't need SNI! I have done exactly the same in my Plesk 8 & 9 Installation before! SNI would be nice but not necessary.

---

@EmreBulutlar: I will check your link later when I have a little time but I think I have already read this article before. I will report my progresses...

But what I want to do doesn't need SNI! I have done exactly the same in my Plesk 8 & 9 Installation before! SNI would be nice but not necessary.

Hi smueller,

Sorry, most of this thread has been about SNI. If not SNI, can you elaborate on what you're trying to do? Hopefully we can help you find a solution.

If not SNI, can you elaborate on what you're trying to do?

I simply installed a certificate for a special domain in the customers controll-panell. The domain uses a shared IP-Adress (and I would be lucky if I wouldn't have to change that because the customers site would be down for nearly 24 hours). Now I want to activate the certificate for the domain and exactly this is my problem: In the configuration of the customers controll-panell there is no dropdown to choose the certificate as described in the manual and in different forums.
As I said, in Plesk 8 & 9 before I did exactly the same with the certificate and it worked - so I don't like answers like: "In Plesk you have to have a deticated IP for a domain to have an certificate working." This maybe right for Plesk 10.1.1 but definitly not in the versions before that!
(Btw I know that the certificate for my one domain would be used for the other domains within the same IP also, but this is no problem for me because the other sites don't use SSL.)

@Blake: So, is there a solution for me without updating Plesk? (As described above I would have to update my whole system before...)
What about the Link of EmreBulutlar? Do you think, this will solve my problem? (Sorry, but I haven't had the time to read it yet)

Looking for the Security button

If you're on Plesk 10.4 for Linux and can't find the security button (because it doesn't exist!) and are pulling your hair out trying to assign your SSL certificate to your domain, try this:

1. Log into Plesk

2. Select "Domains" from the left menu links

3. Select the domain you want to assign your certificate to

4. From the top tabs (General - Summary - Users, etc.) choose "Websites and Domains"

5. In the middle of the screen, directly below the "Web Hosting Access" link, you should see a grey link that says "Show Advanced Options"

6. Select "Website Scripting and Security" in the advanced options area.

7. Under the Security area, you should see a checkbox for "Enable SSL Support" and a selection dropdown to choose your certificate.

8. Select the certificate from the list.

9. Scroll down the page and click "OK"

10. Cross your fingers and pray that it works.

First I have to explain: I have two parallels-forum-accounts and unfortunately I recognized that I have postet with both of them in this thread. So: SteffenM and smueller is both me. I will try to use only one account in the future and write to Parallels to let them delete one of them...

@sretlaw: Thank you for trying to help, but have you read the thread? I do not have this dropdown you are talking about! And btw. I don't have 10.4 (for good reasons - all written above), I have 10.1.1.
In every manual and in the Plesk help (I think also for "my" version) it is described as easy as you say and it would be when Plesk would work like it should. These Problems are the reason for this thread!

Sorry, when I sound unfriendly but I have this problem since weeks now - all because of the bad idea of updating Plesk - hoping of any help from Parallels but all I hear are "you have to update" or the "default tutorials" that I have read a hundred times.

Any better suggestions? Anyone?

Did I read the thread? Yes, I did.

The first post in this thread by IgoKonrads is entitled "Plesk 10.4.4 SSL issue", so that's why I'm here.

My comments were specifically responding to your post (#17 by SteffenM) where you say: ""Switch on the SSL-Checkbox in the Hosting-Settings and then select the Certificate from the Select-Box." BUT THERE IS NO SELECT-BOX!!!"

I found the same instructions for Plesk 10.4 ,and you are correct, the settings they describe are not there. In Plesk 10.4 you can find the settings by following my instructions. The information I supplied may help someone else navigate the confusing UI of Plesk 10.4.

Hopefully someone else will be able to help you out with details for your version of Plesk.

Hi

Just curious if anyone got this sorted. I have the same issue here.

Dedicated server with 1 IP (shared to several domains in plesk)
Bought comodo cert for one domain
it will not replace the defalt old (plesk 11.5, ticking SSL and selecting it from dropdown in hosting management)=

But if I change the default for everthing to this one it works... but i don´t want it on every domain... in fact i want to be able to install seperae ones on other domains but this has to be on everything or nothing to work.

Back