• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 12.5 MySQL 5.7 Upgrade Possibility?

G J Piper

Regular Pleskian
Nice update on the PHP7 incorporation!

Anyone know if there is any chance we'll see a major MySQL upgrade anytime soon?

WordPress is going to leave 5.1.x behind before too long — they are already barely supporting 5.0.x.
Their newest "recommended" versions are now for PHP 5.6+ and MySQL 5.6+, and they are encouraging all their users to "ask for it" on their website:

https://wordpress.org/about/requirements/

Hello Piper,

The Plesk autoinstaller gets the packages from the base repositories of your OS.
If MySQL 5.7 is not listed in base repository, it will not be available in Plesk autoinstaller.

If you want to upgrade MySQL version to 5.7, then you need to configure third party repository.
As an example, you can use Atomic repository to upgrade MySQL on RPM based systems:

Code:
wget -q -O - http://www.atomicorp.com/installers/atomic | sh
yum upgrade mysql

Yes, i am using 5.6 with centos 6.7
Plesk 12.5
no issues...

i do not recommend to upgrade a production server.
i made this on new vps and smallers one with few customers...

Hi PriyanA,

please be aware that IF you use a non-supported database on your server, additional dependencies will lead to non-functional updates/upgrades/patches from Plesk, untill the software on your server meet again the Plesk supported standards.

Any news about MySQL 5.7 in new plesk version, we need to upgrade our DB 5.7

Plesk support team should know actual release date

Its possible to add more database servers in Plesk, so an idea could be to install two instances of MySQL (or have one MySQL + one MariaDB).
Then the standard installed MySQL 5.5 can just run normally as the main DB server, and still be used by the Plesk system.

I really want to use MySQL 5.7 also (the new generated/computed columns are really a cool feature I cant wait to implement on some sites!), so I will try out both the solutions in a few days on a virtual PC running as a Debian Plesk 12.5 or Onyx 17 server.

Would be nice to hear from others I they have tried having two instances running on a Plesk server?
Even if it would work flawlessly on a virtual system, I would be a bit concerned about trying it on a live server afterwards.
Hopefully the two db instances won't affect one or the others stability somehow.

I too need to upgrade MYSQL to at least 5.6. Is this an issue I need to take up with the VPS provider as opposed to Plesk? I'm guessing that CentOS installation they use does not include the newer versions. How risky is it to upgrade using Atomic repo?

I think you can try run different version of mysql/mariadb in docker containers and then add these databases in Plesk as 'external database'.

Back