• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Plesk 12 Backup Personal FTP Repository Error

LordKurgan

New Pleskian
Hello,

I'm recieving the following error "Transport error: unable to list directory: Curl error: Couldn't connect to server". This happens when I enter ftp settings for the Personal FTP Repository. I'm sure the ftp server is fine. I have it already set on other domains. It connects backs-up just fine. I've noticed two things when connecting to the FTP server it automatically issues PASV and does nothing else. It also connects using the secondary ip which I guessing it should. Micro Update 5 is installed.

I am also having the same error message. Plesk 12 running on Centos 6.5. Tried on the following ftp servers.
1. Filezilla Server (FTP server tested well with filezilla client)
2. Plesk 9 on Centos5 (working well and accepting backup from other servers except plesk 12)

I'm running a similar setup:
1. Filezilla Server running on Windows Server 2112 R2 It was working fine up sometime between microupdate 1-4. I know microupdate corrected the file rotation issue which I did run into. I'm guessing microupdate 5 caused this issue. (3.10.23-xxxx-std-ipv6-64 #1 SMP Tue Mar 18 14:48:24 CET 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
2. Plesk 12 on Centos 6.5 final

I just installed microupdate 6 and I see plesk now connects and no longer issues the PASV command. It just connects and issues no commands at all. After a while connection times out and I receive the same error. "Transport error: unable to list directory: Curl error: Couldn't connect to server"

I can't reproduce your problem. I use the same environment as you wrote.
Maybe it will help:

Try to execute:
Code:
curl --list-only --user user:password [url]ftp://<ip>/[/url]
and send me the result in Private Message.

Also run:
Code:
export DUMP_STORAGE_PASSWD=ftp_password
/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/pmm-ras --check-repository --dump-storage=ftp://ftp_user@<ip>/ --use-ftp-passive-mode --debug --verbose
And send me the result of this command.

Also send me the piece of FTP server log during execution "pmm-ras --check-repository".

Maybe this information will make situation more clear.

Last edited:
I can't reproduce your problem. I use the same environment as you wrote.
Maybe it will help:

Try to execute:
Code:
curl --list-only --user user:password [url]ftp://<ip>/[/url]
and send me the result in Private Message.

Also run:
Code:
export DUMP_STORAGE_PASSWD=ftp_password
/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/pmm-ras --check-repository --dump-storage=ftp://ftp_user@<ip>/ --use-ftp-passive-mode --debug --verbose
And send me the result of this command.

Also send me the piece of FTP server log during execution "pmm-ras --check-repository".

Maybe this information will make situation more clear.

Same here. I´m able to connect with ftp and list files with curl from the server. The only problem seems plesk panel... I´ve tested with Passive mode On and Off, but none work.

Curl list files:
[root@servidor user]# curl --list-only --user user:pass ftp://ip
home

When I try to set up ftp repository:

ftp2.jpg

And in ftp server i see this:

ftp.jpg

And PMM-RAS output:

ftp3.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure about your setup but my server shouldn't be issuing PASV yet it does no matter what I do. My server is not on the internal network that the FTP is. I happen to be on the same internal network as the FTP. AlbertoGd do you have the same issue/setup?

Looks like problems in some of your network settings. Please check it.
I able to connect to your FTP from hardware server, but I can't connect from virtual server, even if I use passive mode.
Maybe you have closed needed ports for FTP in passive mode or your Firewall settings block connections.

Hi vkolotov,

Finally, after some tcpdumps, I found the reason why I could list files, but plesk couldn´t connect.

When you see traces, plesk connects to FTP, but make some tests to check all is OK. One of this checks is to send a SYN packet to the Passive Port given by FTP in Entering Passive Mode packet. When you list files with curl, you don´t test if you can reach to passive port. You enter in passive mode, but you just send the list command to port 21. You don´t use passive port.

But now the tricky. It happens with some FTP servers, like mine, that are not clever: you configure default passive ports (55536-55539), but then in Entering Passive Mode packet, offers a port outside this range, normally a port like 550XX (55002, 55003, 55004,...).

So the solution was simple: set passive port range from 55000-55539 (and in my case, nat in router from 55000-55539 to my ftp server, and port 20-21, obviously).

So no plesk error, ftp passive problem ;)

Back