• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 12.xx schedulled backup hangs at 100%

Baris_Ersezer

New Pleskian
Hello,

I have an issue with my daily backup.
I configured to have a daily backup on an external FTP server. Everything looks to work correctly but in the panel I see that the task is a 100% forever. Never finisihing completly.. So the next day, the task is not starting.. I have to remove manually the task in backup manager screen.

here is the last lines of the log file (in /var/log/plesk/PMM/backup-2015-01-20-20-46-02-824)

[2015-01-20 21:33:53.108|18485] INFO: ENV[LANG]=en_US.UTF-8
[2015-01-20 21:33:53.108|18485] INFO: Executing utility: /bin/sh -c -e /bin/tar\ --create\ --file\ /usr/local/psa/PMM/tmp/backupznMOWN/daily__1501202046.tar\ --directory\ /tmp/repo_transport_tmp_Jalkfn/\ --dereference\ --files-from\ /tmp/repo_transport_tmp_UTCFhv
[2015-01-20 21:41:12.528|18485] INFO: The utility executed with the return code 0
[2015-01-20 21:41:12.547|18485] INFO: The return code was
No output on STDOUT were performed by the utility
No output on STDERR were performed by the utility
[2015-01-20 21:41:12.548|18485] INFO: ENV[LANG]=en_US.UTF-8
[2015-01-20 21:41:12.548|18485] INFO: Executing utility: /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/backup_sign --sign-dump /usr/local/psa/PMM/tmp/backupznMOWN/daily__1501202046.tar --session-path=/usr/local/psa/PMM/sessions/2015-01-20-204602.857
[2015-01-20 21:41:12.601|21963] INFO: backup_sign started : /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/backup_sign --sign-dump /usr/local/psa/PMM/tmp/backupznMOWN/daily__1501202046.tar --session-path=/usr/local/psa/PMM/sessions/2015-01-20-204602.857
[2015-01-20 21:46:31.079|21963] INFO: backup_sign finished. Exit code: 0
[2015-01-20 21:46:31.095|18485] INFO: The utility executed with the return code 0
[2015-01-20 21:46:31.102|18485] INFO: Ftp init url ftps://ftp.XXXX.XXX//vps_backups/daily__1501202046.tar

IgorG,

In fact I have a VPS but not so low spec (4 core, 6 Gb RAM, etc..)

Should I remove this package? The resolution part of the KB is not clear for me.

This is the package I have :

Installed Packages
Name : pigz
Arch : x86_64
Version : 2.3.1
Release : 1.el6
Size : 107 k
Repo : installed
From repo : epel
Summary : Parallel implementation of gzip
URL : http://www.zlib.net/pigz/
License : zlib
Description : pigz, which stands for parallel implementation of gzip,
: is a fully functional replacement for gzip that exploits
: multiple processors and multiple cores to the hilt when
: compressing data.

Should I just remove this? (yum remove pigz) and it will work?

Thanks

yum remove looks like not the good solution :

There is a lot of dependencies on this package

Dependencies Resolved

================================================================================
Package Arch Version Repository Size
================================================================================
Removing:
pigz x86_64 2.3.1-1.el6 @epel 107 k
Removing for dependencies:
plesk-config-troubleshooter
x86_64 12.0.18-cos6.build1200140623.14 @PSA_12_0_18-dist 388 k
plesk-core x86_64 12.0.18-cos6.build1200140606.15 @PSA_12_0_18-dist 45 M
plesk-l10n noarch 12.0.18-cos6.build1200141224.10 @PSA_12_0_18-dist 38 M
plesk-management-node
x86_64 12.0.18-cos6.build1200140606.15 @PSA_12_0_18-dist 0.0
pp-sitebuilder noarch 12.0.6-14081212 @SITEBUILDER_12_0_6-dist
psa-health-monitor
noarch 12.0.18-cos6.build1200140526.11 @PSA_12_0_18-dist 2.4 k
psa-migration-agents
x86_64 12.0.18-cos6.build1200140606.15 @PSA_12_0_18-dist 173 k
psa-migration-manager
x86_64 12.0.18-cos6.build1200140606.15 @PSA_12_0_18-dist 1.2 M
psa-updates noarch 12.0.18-cos6.build1200141223.15 @PSA_12_0_18-dist 0.0
psa-watchdog x86_64 12.0.18-cos6.build1200140707.14 @PSA_12_0_18-dist 3.0 M
wpb-core noarch 12.0.6-43522.14090215 @SITEBUILDER_12_0_6-dist
48 M
wpb-headers noarch 12.0.5-43480.14051315 @SITEBUILDER_12_0_6-dist
143 M

Transaction Summary
Remove 13 Package(s)

IgorG,

In fact I have a VPS but not so low spec (4 core, 6 Gb RAM, etc..)

Should I remove this package? The resolution part of the KB is not clear for me.

Should I just remove this? (yum remove pigz) and it will work?

Thanks

No, not all, no need to do so, just do:

- run "ps aux | grep pleskbackup" and take note of the pids and backup filenames,
- kill all backup processes by pid (use -9 or -15),
- go to /var/lib/psa/dumps and clear out all stalled/failed backups,
- retry to make the backup again.

The simple reason for the backup failing is often that the temporary space, used for making the backup (i.e. tarball), is getting full after some failed attempts.

Just clear the temp space by killing all backup processes (and deleting stalled/failed backups is just good practice).

Kind regards.....

Hi,

At the moment I have a backup task a 100% in Plesk panel and 1 backup in server repository. It is never finishing.

and I tried what you suggested :

[root@ns1 ~]# ps aux | grep pleskbackup
root 3251 0.0 0.0 103292 808 pts/0 S+ 09:33 0:00 grep pleskbackup

As you can see there is no backup process running.. Everything seem to be done but the task stays there in plesk and a new task will not start on daily basis, I have to clean the task list manually everyday :(

The log for the backup seems good to (as in my first message).

I don't know where to look now.

Last edited:
@Baris,

Let´s get back to basics then.

Run in following order:

- service drwebd stop
- service psa stop
- service psa start

(and verify that all services, including drwebd are running).

Then check the backup task again, it would surprise me if you still have the backup task at 100%.

Let me know!

@Baris,

Let´s get back to basics then.

Run in following order:

- service drwebd stop
- service psa stop
- service psa start

(and verify that all services, including drwebd are running).

Then check the backup task again, it would surprise me if you still have the backup task at 100%.

Let me know!

I will do what you asked.

But just to clarify.. when I talk about "backup task at 100%", this is the task we see in plesk.. 100% is the status of the backup progression, not the CPU usage or resource.
The basically, the backup progression stays at 100%, in the backup log, I see that the task is finished..but it hangs in the panel.. No new backup will start daily basis as I configured.
When I remove the pending backup task in Plesk, I receive an email of failure... On my FTP server, I can see the backup file which I believe is complete.

The next day, the schedulled backup will start and hangs at 100% progression.

Thankls for your help.

@Baris,

Some explanation will follow below.

But just to clarify.. when I talk about "backup task at 100%", this is the task we see in plesk.. 100% is the status of the backup progression, not the CPU usage or resource.
The basically, the backup progression stays at 100%, in the backup log, I see that the task is finished..but it hangs in the panel..

I know that it is (only) the panel showing the odd backup with 100% progression. For this "problem", the restart of psa service is intended.

(....) No new backup will start daily basis as I configured.
When I remove the pending backup task in Plesk, I receive an email of failure... On my FTP server, I can see the backup file which I believe is complete.

It is very likely that the backup file is compromised AND it is logical that you receive the mail, if deleting the backup task. No real issues there.

The next day, the schedulled backup will start and hangs at 100% progression.

Remove the schedule for a daily backup to the FTP server.

The issue is that scheduled backups do not get created properly, there is not an issue with the scheduling of the backup tasks.

The issue of scheduled FTP backups not being created properly is often created by simple causes, such as

- errors at the FTP server side (solution: reboot the FTP server and/or resolve issues in the FTP server)
- regular and consistent maintenance at the FTP server side (solution: run ftp backup schedule on a different time, this often works)
- overusage of file space by backup (dump) files (solution: clean /var/lib/psa/dumps, amongst others)

and in your case, it is necessary to TEST for the existence of FTP server side issues.

The best way to do this:

a) delete the daily FTP backup task,

b) create a daily backup task, with backups running on and stored on the server itself.

If the new daily (server side) backup task works properly, then you have a problem with EITHER the FTP server itself OR the transport of the backup file.

It is often the case that transfer at a real slow rate is hindering the completion of a FTP backup task.

In this case (of file transfer settings impeding FTP backups), one should NOT use FTP backup! Instead, one should opt for the server side backup AND, if one wants to maintain the backup files (also) at another server, just transfer them by rsync or a similar program.

Kind regards....

I made a test as you proposed.. the local server backup task was done last night. The backup task was removed as expected from task list.

I will check the reason for the FTP issue.
The FTP server I am using is a shared hosting package from OVH.com. There is no issue with the server when I use filezilla on my PC.
Is it possible Plesk ftp upload is doing something wrong? I can change settings?

Baris

@Baris,

You should not change anything.

It is very likely that your Plesk Panel has been "hanging" on a specific FTP backup task, due to the FTP server temporarily not working or not working properly.

Maintenance at the FTP server side can be an issue, for example.

It is a common "mistake" (in a sense) to set backup tasks at nightly hours, with those nightly hours often being used for maintenance by hosting providers.

It is more wise to run backup at 23:00 or 06:00, since those are often not hours of maintenance and/or Plesk hosted domains are relatively inactive in those hours.

Kind regards....

@Baris,

I would also advise you to consider to use another party than OVH, since OVH does not have the most reliable backbone (a lot of internet connection errors do occur).

Kind regards...

I changed the FTP upload hour and I still have the same issue.

One thing concerning this FTP issue.
I am using this FTP server since 3 years now and I started to have the issue I described since an update to plesk 12. This was working without any issue on plesk 11.5 for example.
I am still thinking that something is wrong in plesk side during or after ftp upload and keep the task in the list.
I can see the backup file on the ftp server side.

Baris.

@Baris,

Can you post or send me

a) the transfer logs? (i.e. for analyzing ftp related issues)

b) the log for the backup task? (i.e. for analyzing the backupmanager related issues)

Kind regards....

PS You do not have to wait for the scheduled backup task, just press on backup (take a small domain, so you are finished faster).

PS 2 Also, you can try to backup a (small) domain to a ftp domain that is residing on your current server. The FTP backup will transfer in the normal fashion, but the external FTP server at OVH is left out of the equation, giving us some more insight in the cause of this issue.

Sorry for the delay. I was busy.

I tried to find log for the ftp client but without succes.
The last lines of log for the backup task is in the first message, do you want I copy the whole file here? it is a bit large

I made some test manually. With a backup witout content, the backup task is fine and finishes correctly (~3 mb)
With content, 11 Gb the task stays at 100%, the file is on the FTP server.

Baris

Baris,

I noticed (i.e. can assume) that you are talking about a full server backup.

The average server (your server or the ovh backup server) has a 100Mbit backbone, implying a transfer rate of 12.5MB/s, which means that the full server backup takes 15 mins by approximation.

Any disruption in the ftp connection will lead to a fail in the backup, that is, in the transfer of the backup, implying that Plesk Panel is indicating 100% status (i.e. making the backup and starting the process of transfer), but will never "finish" the transfer, resulting in the 100% status still being visible.

It is therefore very likely that your backup problem has nothing to do with Plesk Panel, but with a discontinuous and/or slow ftp connection.

In your case, one should split up the backup task for the full server into seperate tasks for domains (or clients/resellers, if not too large).

Furthermore, please make sure that "ftp passive mode" is enabled, in order to prevent standard ftp issues.

By the way, the process of creating backup tasks for domains (or some other subaggregate level) will increase speed and performance.

Kind regards....

Trialotto,

Yes my concern is with the full server backup. It works fine with a backup without content.

I have changed the settings to have multiple part (1gb/file) and after few days, there is no error. Every backup task is cleaned after the upload is done.
So my issue was related to the size of the archive that is uploaded to the FTP server. Total size is 11,5 Gb.
I will keep this setting for the moment.

When I have time, I will create separate task for each domain but I have to configure the FTP settings, and scheduled task one by one.. too long to do for me now.

Thanks for your support

Baris.

Back