• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 8

Originally posted by Salvia
You obviously did not read where I talked about RPM based system. I have installed PHP 5.1.2 from source on many Plesk boxes. But Plesk does not acknowlege them still says they are running 4 because plesk is an RPM based system.

I like this, it works well for us and I wouldn't like to see this change.

And no Plesk does not support 4.1 series... just proves what you do not know. Last time I checked 7.5.4 needs a attomicrocketturtle update just to get mysql server running correctly under the 4.1 branch.

MySQL 4.1 has been fully supported for around 6-9 months now, ART's RPM's will work, but so will official MySQL.com rpm's, and those issued by OS vendors.

And still throws a fit when it comes to database collation and character sets being UTF-8

I've not tested this, but Plesk officially supports it so if there's a problem with this report it as a bug.

Point of my post is 8 is most likely just another feature release with a bunch more bugs without fixing what has already been wrong for a long time.

I've spoken to the developers and there are a lot of bugs that are fixed in 8.0.0 from 7.5.x, and a hotfix to 7.5.4 will be released this week to fix further bugs in 7.5.x. They're getting there, but there's only so much development can be done, just give them time.[/QUOTE]

I like the idea of them supporting another MTA (postfix being my preference), but I do also support qmail. We've been using Plesk with qmail for 5yrs, and other systems based on qmail, it's a very solid and reliable platform. But bear with them and I think another MTA will be supported eventually.

plesk supports mysql 4.1 since 7.5.4
i am using it with no ****ing problems from day one, so stop to cry around and read the release notes.

You obviously did not read where I talked about RPM based system. I have installed PHP 5.1.2 from source on many Plesk boxes. But Plesk does not acknowlege them still says they are running 4 because plesk is an RPM based system.

And no Plesk does not support 4.1 series... just proves what you do not know. Last time I checked 7.5.4 needs a attomicrocketturtle update just to get mysql server running correctly under the 4.1 branch.

And still throws a fit when it comes to database collation and character sets being UTF-8

As far as your comment about when was the last time you had a good day? I have very good reasoning about my post you are just an idiot.

Obviously Plesk has caused something to make me angry in this way. I have been using Plesk for a few years now and It has gave the final straw when a plesk update trashed out the qmail server so bad that every time a fix was applied plesk would write over it, and all email accounts would again become non-existent.

I spent way too much money on all the licenses and addons for this kind of **** to happen. My SW-Soft rep is giving me a free license upon 8's release.

Point of my post is 8 is most likely just another feature release with a bunch more bugs without fixing what has already been wrong for a long time. Plesk is a far more unstable platform than say CPanel or Interworks.

They have the right idea but are taking the wrong path to get there.

For you to sit here and dis my post like there is nothing wrong with Plesk makes you that much more of an idiot.

Again, you sound like a pissy little child in your posts, I wasn't speaking of the content of your posts, but by the manner by which you act. You are very juvenile and immature.

In regards to Plesk being an 'RPM' based system, I still don't know what you mean. Again, Plesk uses its own seperate instance of Apache/PHP etc to run itself, so I don't understand what you are referring to in terms of Plesk not 'recognizing' 5. I don't see how RPMs have anything to do with that.

As Cranky already accurately stated, Plesk does support the 4.1 series. In fact, if I remember correctly, if you install Plesk fresh now, it installs 4.1 by default.

And please don't come around these parts singing about the stability of CPanel. The very fact that CPanel has a directory with hundreds of megs of scripts just to fix its own problems is testament to how stable it really is. You might as well crontab the whole directory nightly. CPanel is infamous for its cpontaneous corruption.

If you have issues with Plesk, that is fine, as I have my own issues. I merely wanted to point out that I think you would get further if you sounded like you were older than 13, and calling people names. Regardless of whether you have a reason to be mad or not, you sound like a buffoon when you act in that manner. You get more flies with honey than vinegar as they say.

There is absolutely nothing childish about my post. It is clearly stated with valid points. I take it english is not your first language, because you mis-read the post.

Name calling? You mean in my second post when I called you an idiot? That is the only reference I made and it had truth, it was the post following yours where you incinuated that I need psychiatric treatment and said that I was a bafoon. I really think you need to take a look in the mirrior, because you are pointing fingers at me for something only you are guilty of. You remind me of the old saying "The pot calling the kettle black".

I have been using Plesk for a couple years now, and my points are very valid. One of our boxes took a complete dive due to a plesk update, of which the email system was affected.

As far as 4.1 MySQL working with it, I know it "Can". I have 4.1 on all the Plesk boxes. Attomic Rocket Turtle is the only RPM I have found that works correctly.

As far as the RPM based system, what I meant by that is when you install let's say PHP 5.1.2 from source. Plesk will still think it is only using PHP4 when you look at installed components. The current system only sees apps if they are installed via RPM.

Don't get me wrong about the CPanel post, I don't like CPanel,but it has been more stable than Plesk for us.

I think Plesk has the right idea, I love the interface and the way it manages multi domain hosting. I just think they need to focus on some of the issues at hand which include some of my listed items and many others that can be found throughout these forums.

At this point and time we get a lot more support questions from dedicated server customers with Plesk installed than we do CPanel. These support tickets are especially heavy around the dates that new updates are released from SW-Soft.

If SW-Soft does fix things with the release of 8, especially security issues like un-encrypted passwords in the database, I most likely will purchase the entire HSPComplete package. But until then I think I am going to check out the Loadbalanced solution offered by the InterWorx Cluster Panel.

As far as the RPM based system, what I meant by that is when you install let's say PHP 5.1.2 from source. Plesk will still think it is only using PHP4 when you look at installed components. The current system only sees apps if they are installed via RPM.
Go on and build RPM (that's as easy as patching .spec from the Fedora to build newer PHP). As the developer of various unix tools, I have to say that there is nothing more idiotic than breaking the distribution rules (custom builds, broken helper- and init- scripts, rearranging files "as you like") and blaming others about broken software. If you want PHP compiled from source, why did not you choose Slackware or Gentoo? (and it's useful to understand why major players on the market do not provide builds for such a distros, except FreeBSD build of Plesk when everything is in single package under full control of SWSoft) That's the whole point of RPM-based distros to have software managed by package manager and by trying to avoid such a rules you lose all the integration with system tools.

Actually we have many boxes, most of which are running the default setup. We only have a couple Plesk boxes that are not default and no that was not the one that broke.

Plesk has issues and needs addressing.

I do agree with you that anyone who messes and mods an installation could suffer from issues not at the fault of the software creator. But no, I am speaking of issues that Plesk has in a default install as well as commenting on a few others. If I searched the forums here I could come up with many more. These were just at the top of my head because they were experienced recently.

P.S. There is nothing wrong with compiling from source on a Linux distro but that is a completely seperate convorsation.

If it was upto me we would be using FreeBSD, but then again there is many more problems with the BSD version of Plesk that I don't even want to get into.

There is absolutely nothing childish about my post. It is clearly stated with valid points. I take it english is not your first language, because you mis-read the post.

Name calling? You mean in my second post when I called you an idiot? That is the only reference I made and it had truth, it was the post following yours where you incinuated that I need psychiatric treatment and said that I was a bafoon. I really think you need to take a look in the mirrior, because you are pointing fingers at me for something only you are guilty of. You remind me of the old saying "The pot calling the kettle black".

I have been using Plesk for a couple years now, and my points are very valid. One of our boxes took a complete dive due to a plesk update, of which the email system was affected.

As far as 4.1 MySQL working with it, I know it "Can". I have 4.1 on all the Plesk boxes. Attomic Rocket Turtle is the only RPM I have found that works correctly.

Don't get me wrong about the CPanel post, I don't like CPanel,but it has been more stable than Plesk for us.

I think Plesk has the right idea, I love the interface and the way it manages multi domain hosting. I just think they need to focus on some of the issues at hand which include some of my listed items and many others that can be found throughout these forums.

At this point and time we get a lot more support questions from dedicated server customers with Plesk installed than we do CPanel. These support tickets are especially heavy around the dates that new updates are released from SW-Soft.

If SW-Soft does fix things with the release of 8, especially security issues like un-encrypted passwords in the database, I most likely will purchase the entire HSPComplete package. But until then I think I am going to check out the Loadbalanced solution offered by the InterWorx Cluster Panel.

From the looks of your spelling and grammar abilities, one may question whether or not English is your first language. Regardless however, your calm demeanor in your most recent posts hopefully will garner such a response as to be indicative of the manner you SHOULD be respectively speaking with your fellow colleagues, regardless of whether it is polite discourse or not.

Just in case you need a reminder...

Plesk such a piece of ****

"qmail rocks" can go frack themselves nothing cool about qmail.

There are a few more examples, but I think those two are very tell tale of the attitude you brought with you...some kind of emotional baggage.

If you would like to voice your concern, please do so, but to come here acting like a buffoon (which you did, not saying you are one, but you were certainly acting like one) won't garner anything except contempt.

Again, there were some mistruths in some of your statements, which a few people including myself have pointed out. Just please try to be courteous.

MySQL 4.1 works fine with Plesk, it has for a long time now. Plesk doesn't install MySQL, your operating system does... if you use RHEL 3.0 then you'll be using MySQL 3.23, if you use RHEL 4.0 you'll be using MySQL 4.1. You don't need Turtle's RPM's for MySQL 4.1, just for the record.

Best Regards,
Matt Simpson

Please keep the forum professional... Thanks

Kind regards,
Ronald vd Meer

If SW-Soft does fix things with the release of 8, especially security issues like un-encrypted passwords in the database, I most likely will purchase the entire HSPComplete package.

HSPc manages Plesk servers so that won't help.

If it was upto me we would be using FreeBSD, but then again there is many more problems with the BSD version of Plesk that I don't even want to get into.

What are the many more problems with the FreeBSD version of Plesk?

I have about 2-3 outstanding bug reports - but nothing thats critical for operation. But would like to hear what you have encountered thats a problem?

My FreeBSD Plesk runs rock solid and has been doing that since 7.0.2 - and yes, as with all versions of Plesk there has been bugs more or less serious over the release timeline.

And btw. I've been using MySQL 4.1.x for about a year or so now so that's not a problem.

Back