• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 8

Boo.. I missed the demo, it was broken when I tried the other day.. :( Anyone got screens?

i didn't make screens, but you aren't missing anything... it looks just like plesk 7.5

For what it's worth, I think it looks great (thanks for the link to the screenshots) and if it's a major bug-free release I'll be pleased as punch with version 8.0 (which is not up to you to decide what the version is called by the way, there's a lot more to a version numbering than just new features... you're obviously not a developer).

What exact new features do you think it's missing? I think they're on the right track for sure... give them a damn break. Hopefully they're spending a heck of a lot of time on stability, performance and security.

I like the Desktop thing, There's nothing wrong with the Mail Queue tab (which probably took all of 2 hours to integrate)... and who cares about Awstats? It's no better than Webalizer, use Google Analytics if you want more information.

~Matt

Hear, Hear

Hopefully they're spending a heck of a lot of time on stability, performance and security.
I sometimes give harsh criticism to SW-Soft, but am and always have been a 98.9% supportor of the product(s).

My major concern/issue is that we, as SW-Soft owners/licensees aren't offered better and more up-to-date access of software updates/upgrades and trials of future prodiucts for testing on non-production servers.

Were I available to monitor this thread I'd of been able to take advantage of DigitalCrowd's (thanX) offer of a peek. Wish I could have seen it.

No matter, from the research it seems SW-Soft is on it's way to coming to it's own.

I am a Plesk convert from cPanel and it took me a year or two to really grasp the future of Plesk.

I'm on a short-string, but willing to hold out to see where we can go from here.

host.domain.com

I'm Plesk beginner, or even web hosting, I got some questions regarding to FC4 setup for Plesk8, when I setup FC4, there is an setting for name

(host.domain.com),

I know that host can be any name, but the domain.com has confused me that do I need my web domain name to insert in here or it can be any name, if my web domain name is used, there will be any conflicts in the future, such as mailing, IP address or so...

Please advise me...:)

i have no idea what you are talking about nethappy. Please explain....

What I mean is,,, when install the FC4, I have to name the server (host.domain.com), so if I just name my server as same as my website domain name, which alredy exist on the internet (ex: myhost.ktps.com), will I get any conflicts? Or I can name any name I want for my server(hostname and Domain)?

You should name the server with a name that is registred in your DNS, otherwise you can't reach it later. But it doesn't have to be the same domain as the web server. It depends on how many names you have in your DNS.

If your present web page is www.domain.com you can call the plesk server plesk.domain.com without any disturbance. The when you add clients you can easily add domains like www.whatever.net or so.

Can't Access port 8433 after Plesk8 Installation

Thanks HopChop....

By the way,,, I have succesfully installed Plesk8 with no errors, but I wonder why the service port 8433 is not open, even I have tried to check at the console..hmmmm

Is it possible that my servier right now is located in LAN (private IP address)? Otherwise, I couldnt see any reasons why the service 8433 is not on service (by the way, I am running it on FC4 x86_64), or do I need any trial license key?

Any suggestions?

There are some major issues that Plesk needs to resolve. I won't switch to 8 unless they have been addressed.

In fact a couple months ago I switched over to CPanel because of it. Granite I hate CPanel with a passion but it does not have the issues that make Plesk such a piece of ****.

1) Mail server, can we use something besides qmail, "qmail rocks" can go frack themselves nothing cool about qmail. Issue after issue with that mail daemon. I have not had a single problem with exim on my Cpanel boxes.

2) Security issues such as plain text passwords in the database? Did they get fixed?

3) MySQL version - is 5 supported? tell me they at least are supporting 4.1

4) I seen people saying they installed the beta with php 5.0.4? Plesk 8 is supposed to be a new release and they do it with 5.04? SW-soft are you on crack? 5.1.2 has many security and bug fixes as well as noticable speed increases.

5) Did they make Plesk not rely on RPM's? with plesk 7.5.4 I installed PHP 5.1 from source but getting Plesk to notice acknowlege it, is a mission in itself

Plain and simple unless Plesk 8 allows you to keep your software versions upto date and unless they added in more security + fixed their 5+ versions now known bugs then this is once again a pointless release.

I really hope they addressed these issues. I think Plesk has the right idea out of all the control panels. But at the same time really think the lead developer needs to be fired so someone who has some witz about them can address the situation before it becomes a project like Modernbill or Windows, where the code base became so out of hand that it had to be re-written from the ground up.

The same practices SW-Soft is following now is the same BS that lead to Windows Vista and Modernbill v5

they kept piling so many features on and not fixing anything and finally one day hired someone smart enough to realize: "Hey what the hell were you guys thinking we need to re-write this from the ground up!"

Originally posted by Salvia
There are some major issues that Plesk needs to resolve. I won't switch to 8 unless they have been addressed.

In fact a couple months ago I switched over to CPanel because of it. Granite I hate CPanel with a passion but it does not have the issues that make Plesk such a piece of ****.

1) Mail server, can we use something besides qmail, "qmail rocks" can go frack themselves nothing cool about qmail. Issue after issue with that mail daemon. I have not had a single problem with exim on my Cpanel boxes.

2) Security issues such as plain text passwords in the database? Did they get fixed?

3) MySQL version - is 5 supported? tell me they at least are supporting 4.1

4) I seen people saying they installed the beta with php 5.0.4? Plesk 8 is supposed to be a new release and they do it with 5.04? SW-soft are you on crack? 5.1.2 has many security and bug fixes as well as noticable speed increases.

5) Did they make Plesk not rely on RPM's? with plesk 7.5.4 I installed PHP 5.1 from source but getting Plesk to notice acknowlege it, is a mission in itself

Plain and simple unless Plesk 8 allows you to keep your software versions upto date and unless they added in more security + fixed their 5+ versions now known bugs then this is once again a pointless release.

I really hope they addressed these issues. I think Plesk has the right idea out of all the control panels. But at the same time really think the lead developer needs to be fired so someone who has some witz about them can address the situation before it becomes a project like Modernbill or Windows, where the code base became so out of hand that it had to be re-written from the ground up.

The same practices SW-Soft is following now is the same BS that lead to Windows Vista and Modernbill v5

they kept piling so many features on and not fixing anything and finally one day hired someone smart enough to realize: "Hey what the hell were you guys thinking we need to re-write this from the ground up!"

Wow, when was the last time you had a good day? You need to see some psychiatric help for all that angst and anger built up inside of you. It also makes you sound very juvenile.

1) I agree they should offer another solutions, and at least give an option

2) I concur

3) They have supported the 4 tree for at least half a year, where have you been?

4) 5.0.4 is the latest rpm publically distributed from the centos repos...same with the fedora repos as well if I remember correctly. Also, I think you might want to read up on development chains...bug fixes in the 5.1 branch are typically applied to the 5.0 branch, as they are developed 'seperately'. Thus, any security flaws should be mutually exclusive in versions. As far as speed increases, I couldn't speak to that.

What does Plesk have anything to do with your PHP install? It uses its own version of apache and php. What you use on your own apache instance is your own call.

Maybe you can hire someone to make you not sound so much like a buffoon...wouldn't that be swell.

Uh.... if I run webmin and yum update,,,,,, will there be any conflicts with plesk? Should I do that?

Originally posted by NetNappy
Uh.... if I run webmin and yum update,,,,,, will there be any conflicts with plesk? Should I do that?

Why would you run webmin along side Plesk?

In terms of your yum question, that depends on your repository, and the distro...and what you are updating.

the reason that I run webmin, coz there're lots of tools that assist my administration, such as disk management and partitioning, and many more, I think webmin will save me time to find out what the command to archieve the tasks and "how to" guides.

I don't know Plesk has this kinda tools build in or not, coz I haven't started to use Plesk yet, I'm waiting for the Plesk8, it's gonna be my first version. what's your suggestion?

About, Yum, I just worry about Linux's security, so just wanna keep the sys updated as latest as possible....

Do I worry to much?

the reason that I run webmin, coz there're lots of tools that assist my administration, such as disk management and partitioning, and many more, I think webmin will save me time to find out what the command to archieve the tasks and "how to" guides.

I don't know Plesk has this kinda tools build in or not, coz I haven't started to use Plesk yet, I'm waiting for the Plesk8, it's gonna be my first version. what's your suggestion?

About, Yum, I just worry about Linux's security, so just wanna keep the sys updated as latest as possible....

Do I worry to much?

No, but I think you may be overestimating your abilities as an administrator. Webmin certainly shouldn't be used as a replacement for true knowledge of linux/unix administration. It is one thing to use Plesk to automate much of the usage, especially for clients etc...it is another thing to use that kind of utility if you don't know what you are doing...in fact, its pretty dangerous.

In regards to just using yum to keep things updated...again, you didn't list what respositories you are using. And if they are just default installations, no amount of yum updating is going to keep your server completely secure, there are too many things you need to do to "harden" the server.

Re: Can't Access port 8433 after Plesk8 Installation

By the way,,, I have succesfully installed Plesk8 with no errors, but I wonder why the service port 8433 is not open, even I have tried to check at the console..hmmmm

Is it possible that my servier right now is located in LAN (private IP address)? Otherwise, I couldnt see any reasons why the service 8433 is not on service (by the way, I am running it on FC4 x86_64), or do I need any trial license key?

This is exactly why paths to beta software released to a smaller group of people should be kept "secret".

Why try installing beta-software when you don't know about server-administration, network setup etc.?

Download the latest public demo version of Plesk 7.5.4 and install this, test it, write in these forums if you have problems - but don't expect people to help you out with betasoftware not even being the scope of this part of the forum!

This part of the forum is not for asking support for Plesk 8!

Originally posted by chickenbak
Wow, when was the last time you had a good day? You need to see some psychiatric help for all that angst and anger built up inside of you. It also makes you sound very juvenile.

1) I agree they should offer another solutions, and at least give an option

2) I concur

3) They have supported the 4 tree for at least half a year, where have you been?

4) 5.0.4 is the latest rpm publically distributed from the centos repos...same with the fedora repos as well if I remember correctly. Also, I think you might want to read up on development chains...bug fixes in the 5.1 branch are typically applied to the 5.0 branch, as they are developed 'seperately'. Thus, any security flaws should be mutually exclusive in versions. As far as speed increases, I couldn't speak to that.

What does Plesk have anything to do with your PHP install? It uses its own version of apache and php. What you use on your own apache instance is your own call.

Maybe you can hire someone to make you not sound so much like a buffoon...wouldn't that be swell.

You obviously did not read where I talked about RPM based system. I have installed PHP 5.1.2 from source on many Plesk boxes. But Plesk does not acknowlege them still says they are running 4 because plesk is an RPM based system.

And no Plesk does not support 4.1 series... just proves what you do not know. Last time I checked 7.5.4 needs a attomicrocketturtle update just to get mysql server running correctly under the 4.1 branch.

And still throws a fit when it comes to database collation and character sets being UTF-8

As far as your comment about when was the last time you had a good day? I have very good reasoning about my post you are just an idiot.

Obviously Plesk has caused something to make me angry in this way. I have been using Plesk for a few years now and It has gave the final straw when a plesk update trashed out the qmail server so bad that every time a fix was applied plesk would write over it, and all email accounts would again become non-existent.

I spent way too much money on all the licenses and addons for this kind of **** to happen. My SW-Soft rep is giving me a free license upon 8's release.

Point of my post is 8 is most likely just another feature release with a bunch more bugs without fixing what has already been wrong for a long time. Plesk is a far more unstable platform than say CPanel or Interworks.

They have the right idea but are taking the wrong path to get there.

For you to sit here and dis my post like there is nothing wrong with Plesk makes you that much more of an idiot.

Back