• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Please beaware of a breaking change in the REST API on the next Plesk release (18.0.62).
    Starting from Plesk Obsidian 18.0.62, requests to REST API containing the Content-Type header with a media-type directive other than “application/json” will result in the HTTP “415 Unsupported Media Type” client error response code. Read more here

Plesk and DNS problems... am I doing it right?

DaleH

New Pleskian
Hello,

I'm having some problems with a VPS I got last week. As you can see below, I've setup a "Webspace" for my domain.
plesk-1.jpg

I have updated my DNS settings on my domain name too (these were updated a week ago - so have had enough time to resolve)
plesk-2.jpg

Here are my DNS records on my domain from my Plesk account - which I have NOT changed. These are all the default settings.
plesk-3.jpg

However when I check (a week later) on WhatsMyDNS.net, these are the results.
plesk-4.jpg

And if I try to access my domain I get the usual 404.
plesk-5.jpg

I'm guessing that I'm creating domains incorrectly within Plesk 11. I have tried looking around online and everything that I've found that teaches you to add a domain to your Plesk VPS account is exactly what I did, however I'm having constant problems where the site is never up and online.

There is also no information mentioning problems in the logs either.

Any ideas?

Hello,

I have updated my DNS settings on my domain name too (these were updated a week ago - so have had enough time to resolve)
plesk-2.jpg

You need to actually *create* nameservers (aka nameserver host records) and I think this is what you missed out. (The namserver addresses you listed in your post kind of look like the generic hostname of your server, with ns added? I could be wrong here of course).

You only need to create namserver host records on your "main" domain. You do this via your registrar. I can't tell you how exactly, but it is usually in a place in the control panel that is different to where you tell the domain which nameservers should be associated with it, and also different to the place where you can manually adjust DNS records.

The nameserver host records you create need to point to the IP(s) if your Plesk box. For example, you might create ns1.domain.tld pointing to the first IP on your Plesk box and ns2.domain.tld pointing to the second IP. If you only have one IP then both point to the same IP.

Once this is done, you then configure the domain you want to host (and all other domains) on your VPS to use those nameservers.

I don't want to post the name of your domain or its IPs here, just in case, so I'll call it tABC.tf

So you'd create ns1.tABC.tf nameserver host record pointing to 84.etc.etc.etc and ns2.tABC.tf pointing to your second IP (or the first one if you don't have two). Like I say, this is something you do via the registrar control panel you used to register tABC.tf

Then again in the registrar's control panel, you associate these new nameservers with tABC.tf

If you want to host more domains you just associate ns1.tABC.tf and ns2.tABC.tf with the new domains since these nameservers point to your plesk box.

In addition, you should also create two A records and two NS records *in Plesk* for the domain tABC.tf
The two A records should point ns1.tABC.tf to 84.etc.etc.etc and ns2.tABC.tf to the other IP (or the same one). This is pretty much identical to what you did to create the namserver host records in your registrar.

The two ns records should be ns1.tABC.tf and ns2.tABC.tf -- remove the default ns.tABC.tf one added by Plesk.

In the Plesk DNS template page, which will be used as the template to create all future domains you host, remove the default PTR (you only want one per IP and you have one in your tABC.tf domain) and remove the default "ns" NS record. Replace the ns with two NS records ns1.tABC.tf and ns2.tABC.tf

PM me for more details on this -- there's a page on my website that has step by step instructions. I try to avoid advertising our site here, so I'd prefer to communicate it to your via PM. It has been posted by me on the forum a couple of times in the distant past though, if you search for my name and DNS. It is geared for Plesk 8.6 not 11, but the basics are the same.

I think I've done everything correctly, however the domain is still popping up as "not available" about a quarter of the day... and a lot of DNS checking services are registering it as "down" too. :/

I will send you a PM if that's alright showing what I have done so far. (This is a bit hard for me as I'm still a complete newbie to all this Plesk stuff... I just wish it worked straight away [i.e; like cPanel]) :D

Back