• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Plesk Backup rotation

Nilton Santos

Basic Pleskian
Hello Friends,

I have a question regarding the backup rotation on plesk Onyx.

Is the backup rotated only for the scheduled backup?
If I create multiple backups manually this will also be rotated or will never be deleted?

and

Use case:
If I have a plesk server with about 50GB of data in full backup and incremental of 7 days of about 100MB, what is the space required in the FTP area? 60GB? 70GB? Or more ...

@Nilton Santos

The oldest full backup including the incremental backups is deleted. Whether it's created automatically or by yourself.

How much storage space you need to backup depends strongly on how much new data has been added. The more customers you have on your server the more data is changed.

An example: Your hard drive has a size of 200GB. For this, you need at least 80% -90% for a full backup. You should at least 250GB / 125% - 130% for the sake of safety. But as I said, that depends entirely on how much and what is stored.

Example for 1 week!

Another example: If you delete a file that is 50GB in size, it is not automatically deleted from the old backup. If you upload a new file the 45GB is large, your new incremental backup will be 45GB larger.

Hello,

See below the official answer by plesk support:

"The settings you are referring to is known as "The Rotation of Scheduled Backup Files". So, it is clear from the name that the rotation is applied only for scheduled backups.

If I create multiple backups manually this will also be rotated or will never be deleted?

They will never be deleted.

If I have a plesk server with about 50GB of data in full backup and incremental of 7 days of about 100MB, what is the space required in the FTP area? 60GB? 70GB? Or more ...

It depends on "Plesk > Tools & Settings > Scheduled Backup Settings > Keep backups files for" parameter which indicates how many full backups will be stored.

The amount of needed free space is calculating like that:

<size of 1 full backup> * <keep files for value> + <number of incremental backups between full backups> *<average incremental backup size>+ < size of 1 full backup>

In your case it looks like the following:

50GB * 1 + 100MB*7 + 50 GB. = 100,7GB.

The last value is needed as backup is being deleted only after the next one is successfully created.

Best regards,
Konstantin Annikov
Support Engineer
Plesk"

Back