• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Plesk backups failing with error

Joost de Bruijn

New Pleskian
Hi all,

Since Plesk 18.0.27 Update #1 I receive the following error after each backup run:

pmm-ras failed (Error code = 1): Repository error: Failed to read backup backup_2005250333_2005260333.tar: Import error: Unable to find archive metadata. The archive is not valid Plesk backup or has been created in an unsupported Plesk version

Despite the error the backups are uploaded to the remote FTP, but I'm not sure if I'm able to restore the backups because of this error.

Kind regards,
Joost de Bruijn

I have recently seen articles on very similar bugs like

Could these be related to what you are experiencing?

Hi Peter,

Yes, I think those issues might be related because they share same symptoms. However, the solutions provided in the articles are not applicable or not solving my issue. I think it is a bug in version 18.0.27.

Kind regards,
Joost

I have exactly the same problem, for months, and I have not found a solution, unrelated to the Plesk version.
If you delete all the backups it works for 2 or 3 days without any error, then starts again.

I'm new to plesk but see the same error.
I created a new schedule for daily backups and saw:
6th June Repository error: Failed to read backup - OK fine previous didnt exist.
7th June No error
8th June Repository error: Failed to read backup ...now I am here hoping for a fix or a way to tick this off my list.

Plesk Obsidian
Version 18.0.27 Update #1

Full error:
Unable to find base backup for creation of incremental one, the full backup will be created. Error: Failed to exec pmm-ras: Exit code: 125: Transport error: unable to list directory: Curl error: (7) Couldn't connect to server: Last FTP request: Last FTP response:

I assume some sort of temp file size error full backup is just under 25GB

I think the errors are related to backup on FTP. If I save the backup locally there are no errors.
My server is hosted by Hetzner so is the FTP storage.

today Hetzner has migrated my FTP account on a different server, this is the second time they are doing it, I suppose to test more configurations.
I will let you know how it goes.

I can confirm the bug in Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.27 Update #1. My ftp-Server ist also at hetzner, but in earlier plesk versions there were no problems with backups and the same hetzner ftp-server. So it would be fine if anyone would find a way to fix the problem, in particular it's about backups.

Despite the migration to a different FTP server the problem with backup still persists.
Hetzner confirmed that they are investigating the issue.

nearly same problem.
hetzner backup server
earlier versions no problems.
i can connect backup-space over console, no problems

Version:
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.27 Update #1

Error:
Unable to validate the remote backup.
It may not be restored. Error: Failed to exec pmm-ras:
Exit code: 119: Import error: Unable to find archive metadata. The archive is not valid Plesk backup or has been created in an unsupported

The provided solutions not working.

I think this might be an issue with too many concurrent connections to the FTP storage space. Could you please try this solution:

Add the option ftpForbidReuseConnection into [pmm] section in /usr/local/psa/admin/conf/panel.ini:
Code:
[pmm]
ftpForbidReuseConnection = 1

Then run
# service psa restart
on the console, then try the backup again. Is the same issue still there?

Reactions: Tag
I'd like to ask the Hetzner users for more information on this issue:
- With "FTP" storage space are we talking about the "Storage Box" product of Hetzner or are we talking about an FTP access to a web space account, a virtual (cloud.hetzner.de) or a dedicated server?
- When the issue occurs, how many PMM processes are active on the machine where this happens? Could someone please post the output of
# ps aux | grep pmm
here when this happens?
- In your FTP storage space, how full is it? Could it be possible that a previous backup was not successful, because the storage capacity was exceeded? In that case it could be that only part of the backup archive file is stored in the archive, which could lack all the information needed for a restore.

I think this might be an issue with too many concurrent connections to the FTP storage space. Could you please try this solution:

Add the option ftpForbidReuseConnection into [pmm] section in /usr/local/psa/admin/conf/panel.ini:
Code:
[pmm]

Then run
# service psa restart

I have followed your instructions and deleted all the previous backups before restarting the service.
For two days the backup completed without errors, I hope this solves.
Concerning Hetzner, I use their storage box service.

Thanks for the tip!

... deleted all the previous backups before restarting the service.
For two days the backup completed without errors, ...
Concerning Hetzner, I use their storage box service.
To me this sounds as if by deleting backups you have freed space on the storage box so that further backups can now finish correctly. If the issue occurs again, log in to the Hetzner robot and check your true backup space usage of the storage box account there. Make sure that you always have enough storage space left for further backups, else the backup process will not complete correctly, because there is not enough space left on the target.

To me this sounds as if by deleting backups you have freed space on the storage box so that further backups can now finish correctly. If the issue occurs again, log in to the Hetzner robot and check your true backup space usage of the storage box account there. Make sure that you always have enough storage space left for further backups, else the backup process will not complete correctly, because there is not enough space left on the target.

There is more than enough space on the storage box; I never had less than 350GB space free.

Code:
[pmm]

Then run
# service psa restart

Peter, thank you again for the tip, it solved my problem. Since one week no backup errors.

Hi,
Same problem with an OVH provided server + FTP backup.
Running plesk 18.0.28 Update #2, Centos 7.8.2003
Since update to 18.0.28, we have the error message "Unable to validate the remote backup. It may not be restored. Error: Failed to exec pmm-ras: Exit code: 1: basic_string::_M_create "
The panel.ini includes :
[pmm]

the ftp setup is almost empty (more than one half Terabyte with a full backup of less than 100gigabytes)
FTP config is FTPS + passive mode.

Everything was fine until we updated Obsidian to the last version.

Can you help ?
Thanks

Back