• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk creating lots of backup dumps in /tmp folder

Aiden

New Pleskian
Hello,

I recently got an error on my website and couldn't determine what it was or what was causing it. The error came when I was performing a Plesk local backup. I did some Googling and found out that the error meant my Hard Drive had no more free space available. I FTP'ed into my server and found out that my /tmp folder was using 118GB of data and that data was .tar files with "dumpXXXXXX.tar" names. I copied one to my PC and opened it and saw it was a copy of my backup. Every time I start backup process, I get ~6 dump.tar files in /tmp. Right now, it's gone 69GB in 2 days and I've only performed 2 backups so far.

Why does this happen? Can anyone assist me on this?

Thank you very much!

Hello,

I recently got an error on my website and couldn't determine what it was or what was causing it. The error came when I was performing a Plesk local backup. I did some Googling and found out that the error meant my Hard Drive had no more free space available. I FTP'ed into my server and found out that my /tmp folder was using 118GB of data and that data was .tar files with "dumpXXXXXX.tar" names. I copied one to my PC and opened it and saw it was a copy of my backup. Every time I start backup process, I get ~6 dump.tar files in /tmp. Right now, it's gone 69GB in 2 days and I've only performed 2 backups so far.

Why does this happen? Can anyone assist me on this?

Thank you very much!

This is the same issue that I am having and have posted another thread days ago with no response. Have yet to receive a response with a resolution.

Normally (under normal circumstances) after the backup files are moved to your FTP repository SUCCESSFULLY then the temporary backup files are automatically deleted.

Them not being deleted could mean the process didn't go all through just as expected ...

Normally (under normal circumstances) after the backup files are moved to your FTP repository SUCCESSFULLY then the temporary backup files are automatically deleted.

Them not being deleted could mean the process didn't go all through just as expected ...
What can we do about this though?

It's really frustrating! My server gets filled with all those backup dumps in a matter of days. And once the HDD goes full, errors start happening and my database got corrupted last time it happened. :/

Well IgorG has seen your response ...

In the mean time you can create a cron job that cleans your /tmp folder periodically!

Well IgorG has seen your response ...

In the mean time you can create a cron job that cleans your /tmp folder periodically!

Hi Abdi,

Actually, he mentioned Local server backups, not FTP personal rebo backups.. Meaning that the issue has nothing to do with FTP backups option, rather the server repo backups. This is where the issue lies

I confirm this bug (PPP-14154 for your reference). Developers are working on it.

Hey guys,

Would like to know what is the status of the Plesk backup and personal ftp issue? This is a crucial situation that should have been a priority to be fixed and after 2 new updates, it doesn't seem to have been fixed.

Please advise, thnx!

This bug is completely fixed for upcoming Plesk 12.1 release.

Hi Igor,

Do you know if there is any ETA for this fix or just an update to this fix in general? Being stuck without being able to backup for this long is risky..

Please advise, thnx.

Actually I see that this bug is reopened now. Looks like that problem still under developer's investigation.

It might be a nice benefit to automatically purge temporary backups that stick around as a result of failed FTP transmission completions or failed FTP connections when using repositories.

Same Problem since 26.02.15

All backups to ftp with error

Can't upload file 'clients/xxxxx/domains/xxxxx.com/backup_xxxxx.com_info_1503190202.xml' to ftp. Error code: 134

I'm still waiting for this to be fixed. The spam backups being generated in tmp literally drains all the resources from my server and it is really annoying!

Back