• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk development

N

normanu

I really don't get it why SW-Soft is not including/supporting software that is the markets standard.

Webalizer hasn't been updated since 2002, because it has been replaced by Awstats as widely used software.
Why isn't this included in Plesk almost every other panel has it or at least has a plugin for it.

Also why is Plesk still using Mysql 3.23 instead of 4.x ?
Mysql 3.23 isn't even seen on mysql.com anymore under there products, and 4.1 is their recommended release.

I could probably think of about a 100 things they should add or fix in Plesk but I doubt it they read this forum and listen to any suggestion made......

(PS. I have seen the hacks people suggest for adding AWStats but its not the way it should be done.....)

Awstats will be supported in Plesk 8.0.
MySQL 4.x is supported, but you have to download and install it yourself.

But yeah, i agree. There is much that can be improved.
I hope Plesk 8.0 will surprise me :)

The fact that mysql v4 is supported but not yet the official package worries me.

If SWSoft would really support mysql v4 they would supply a rpm for it at downloads as patch or util.

But no we have to go to Art's site to get a working rpm.

As far as I know FreeBSD and other Operating Systems that don't include MySQL 3.x automatically get 4.x.

I believe even RHE gets 4.x because Redhat includes that in up2date.

So don't blame SW-Soft. I appreciate the fact that they don't build there own stuff and use the standards for the OS then allow you to upgrade.

If you want them to compile everything go play with cpanel for a while. When you get tired of all the bugs and all the breakage come back.

I can respond to a few of these, at least from how we had planned things out from the Plesk days. The original design of psa was monolithic, meaning everything was self contained (qmail, mysql, apache, php, etc), this is what the freebsd version is today. When PSA 2.0 was being designed, I proposed that we would be better served by working with what the vendors (redhat at the time) rolled with their distribution by using their existing applications, rather than against them by trying to bundle our own with our limited staff. In other words, stick with what we're good at, eg server-automation and control panels. So, if the vendor distributed a package that PSA used (named, apache, php, mysql, etc) we would use that, rather than try and maintain our own. This way, we completely opened PSA up to external modification, in a way that Ive yet to see paralleled by any other control panel, and lowered the cost of producing and testing each version.

Your right this is my bad ...
Our debian machine has 4.0 standard but our CentOS machine do not.
So I guess Redhat is to blame here ...

That only leaves the much wanted features missing in Plesk NIX which are allready present in the windows version.

Is there a ETA on version 8 ?
Because 7.5.4 has just been released .....

Originally posted by normanu
Webalizer hasn't been updated since 2002, because it has been replaced by Awstats as widely used software.
Fair point, Webalizer blows and AWStats is much better.

Also why is Plesk still using Mysql 3.23 instead of 4.x ?
Mysql 3.23 isn't even seen on mysql.com anymore under there products, and 4.1 is their recommended release.
It may be their recommended release, but I'd bet 3.23 is still running on a large majority of servers. It's running on three of my four, and I'm in no rush to upgrade. It should support both out of the box, not one or the other.

adam

Back