• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Plesk is so slow

TurabG

Basic Pleskian
Hi guys.

I have switched from Plesk on Windows to Plesk on Linux. It was lightening fast after installation on a VPS with 80GB SSD, E5-2620 CPU and 4GB of ram.

It's set to auto update the panel; so it always updated the minor version changes; nothing new has been installed on CentOS box.

After a couple of weeks; Plesk has gone so slow. Any operation or anywhere clicked on the panel makes me wait a couple of seconds. I have approx 20 web sites hosted but all of them have nearly zero traffic; because I'm using this VPS as a development box.

I decided to upgrade to Onyx and have been using it for about a month; but it's all the same. Now I upgrade from 17.0 to 17.5. Still the same.

I don't know what has changed between now and the time it was really fast; because I haven't installed anything manually on the server.

How to diagnose this problem?

Note: General CPU usage is between 0% -5%.

Hi,

+1!
With the last microupdates to 17.5 the Plesk Engine cames TOOOO SLOW.

This is not a resource problem, the cpu load is 2.00;2.00;2.00 (for example). Furthermore, website hosted loads normally, very QUICKLY

Make sure that you have not enabled Plesk debug mode. When Plesk debug mode is enabled, system writes every request (to database/Plesk panel) in log file and it can slow down operations in Plesk panel.
In fact, the statement "Plesk is so slow!" does not carry any useful information. At a minimum, we need the results of examining log files, tests and so on. Believe me, it is very difficult in the forum format to investigate such problems when there are no details and information.
Perhaps it would be more effective to contact Plesk Support and experienced supporters will check and fix this issue directly on your server.

Hello Igor,

Thank you, as always, for your help.
I am aware that I do not give much information for the solution ... but I am not clear how to collect it.
I have been with Plesk for over 10 years so I know the product to detect a problem.
At present I have 7 dedicated plesk servers, all with version 17.5 completely updated. The operating system for all of them is CentOS 7. All servers have 32/64 gb of ram.
The servers work perfectly because their load is almost zero. In fact, hosted web pages, emails, are not affected by the problem.
However with the update a few days ago ALL servers have the same problem, the plesk has become exasperatedly slow.
Entering, for example, a subscription from the side menu, can take two minutes (all with the same null load of the server checked from ssh) ...

I do not know very well that I can check or send you but, what if I have clear, is that there is a problem. It is not possible for all servers to present the same problem at the same time.

Greetings.
Guillermo rey

Hello again,
I checked if I had "debug mode" enabled in panel.ini but, in fact, panel.ini does not exist (I have never needed to copy panel.ini.sample as panel.ini).

Greetings
Guillermo Rey

but I am not clear how to collect it.
If you have slowness of Plesk itself, but not hosted sites, you have to go check sw-cp-server, sw-cp-engine and mysql logs first.
Deep investigation of system logs might be useful too. If it is VPS, it is strongly recommended check resources consuming.

Yesterday I made my Upgrade to 7.5.3 again, and like 2 months ago when I did it for the first time, server and Plesk are running perfectly fast and well now.
Perhaps, a lil misconfiguration like usual.
Greets 'n' best wishes...

In fact, the statement "Plesk is so slow!" does not carry any useful information. At a minimum, we need the results of examining log files, tests and so on. Believe me, it is very difficult in the forum format to investigate such problems when there are no details and information.

Hi, thanks for your concern.

That's actually why I didn't ask how to "solve"; rather I prefered asking how to "diagnose". Debug mode isn't enabled in my plesk.ini file. Actually I don't even have anything in plesk.ini at all but only these two lines;

Code:
[webserver]
nginxHttp2 = true

But funny enough, after I installed Panel.ini Editor extension, I am seeing this; "[debug] Enabled" while it's value shows "false". How come it's enabled while it's set to false? I just manually added these lines to panel.ini;

Code:
[debug]
enabled = off

Yet it's still enabled! Here what the panel.ini editor shows; "[debug] setting enabled"; while it reads the value as follows; " value false ( default value: false )". When I inspect the panel.log file; it didn't seem to me that debug mode is really enabled; but it says it is enabled. So what can I do now?

Edit: I checked mysql log; it's pretty normal; nothing fancy and no errors. I checked sw-cp-server logs, they're pretty small and nothing seems to be wrong. Just a few lines (maybe still needed to be diagnosed)

Code:
2017/04/16 08:36:26 [error] 2675#0: *2199 open() "/usr/local/psa/admin/htdocs/robots.txt" failed (2: No such file or directory), client: 5.255.251.153, server: , request: "GET /robots.txt HTTP/1.1", host: "sorunmuvar.com:8443"
2017/04/17 06:02:42 [error] 2675#0: *2219 open() "/usr/local/psa/admin/htdocs/robots.txt" failed (2: No such file or directory), client: 5.255.251.141, server: , request: "GET /robots.txt HTTP/1.1", host: "sorunmuvar.com:8443"
2017/04/18 11:07:51 [error] 2675#0: *2718 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading response header from upstream, client: 149.140.230.86, server: , request: "POST /smb/file-manager/create-archive?currentDir=%2Fhttpdocs HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/sw-engine.sock", host: "sorunmuvar.com:8443", referrer: "https://sorunmuvar.com:8443/smb/file-manager/list/domainId/4"
2017/04/18 13:23:12 [error] 2675#0: *2822 FastCGI sent in stderr: "Primary script unknown" while reading response header from upstream, client: 192.186.9.140, server: , request: "GET /plugins/weathermap/editor.php HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/sw-engine.sock:", host: "85.95.238.154:8443"
2017/04/18 13:56:59 [error] 2675#0: *2855 FastCGI sent in stderr: "Primary script unknown" while reading response header from upstream, client: 192.186.9.140, server: , request: "GET /plugins/weathermap/editor.php HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/sw-engine.sock:", host: "85.95.238.153:8443"
2017/04/20 14:58:40 [notice] 11200#0: using inherited sockets from "12;13;14;15;"
2017/04/20 15:08:44 [error] 19427#0: *48 recv() failed (104: Connection reset by peer) while reading response header from upstream, client: 176.217.31.164, server: , request: "GET /admin/health/server-status/ HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/sw-engine.sock:", host: "sorunmuvar.com:8443", referrer: "https://sorunmuvar.com:8443/admin/home?context=home"
2017/04/20 15:18:39 [error] 19427#0: *47 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading response header from upstream, client: 176.217.31.164, server: , request: "GET /admin/task/task-progress/ HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/sw-engine.sock", host: "sorunmuvar.com:8443", referrer: "https://sorunmuvar.com:8443/admin/home?context=home"
2017/04/21 03:11:30 [error] 19427#0: *890 empty URI in redirect to named location "@err" while reading client request line, client: 94.102.49.193, server: , request: "quit"

And sw-engine.log contains so many copies of these lines;
Code:
[20-Apr-2017 14:59:39] NOTICE: fpm is running, pid 19358
[20-Apr-2017 14:59:39] NOTICE: ready to handle connections
[20-Apr-2017 15:01:08] NOTICE: Terminating ...
[20-Apr-2017 15:01:08] NOTICE: exiting, bye-bye!

Copies have seconds or 2-3 minutes in between and those are the only things I can see in that log.

Last edited:
In Editor set it as

[debug]
tokens = 0

I did and now debug mode reads like; "[debug] setting tokens" and value reads "false (default false)". It's slower than yesterday. For example clicking on "Domains" menu on the left panel; it takes 16 seconds to load. After it loads, clicking a domain on the list takes 20-22 seconds to load. Interestingly after clicked, it waits.. waits.. waits.. and after ~20 seconds it loads eveything on the page at once.

The symptom that at first nothing is displayed and then all the sudden a complex page is built indicates that this could be a browser issue rather than a server issue. Have you considered that the panel isn't slow, but a security software on your local computer or an unwanted redirection or interference by a Trojan is delaying JavaScript execution from the panel pages in your browser? Have you tested the behavior from a different computer? Did you clear the browser's cache?

Thank you for your opinion. I don't think that is the case because I try it with different browsers and even with different computers on the same network and outside the company network; no difference.

Plus the websites on the server operate very well compared to panel.

What I really wonder is; it was really so fast for about 1 month after the fresh installation. The computers I was connecting to Plesk are all the same then and now.

Do you have an idea why would Panel.ini Editor show "debug enabled" while it's not?

Last edited:
Thank you for your opinion. I don't think that is the case because I try it with different browsers and even with different computers on the same network and outside the company network; no difference.

Plus the websites on the server operate very well compared to panel.

What I really wonder is; it was really so fast for about 1 month after the fresh installation. The computers I was connecting to Plesk are all the same then and now.

Do you have an idea why would Panel.ini Editor show "debug enabled" while it's not?

I think "debud enabled" it´s the name of the variable, the value is at the right. In mine is "false"

Hi Guillermo.

Actually that's how I wanted to think too. It's beeing 3 columns confused me. Because it was showing debug in one column and "setting enabled" in another column. Now it turns out that they gave the setting the name "enabled" which is quite confusing.

Now it means debug mode is disabled. We couldn't make any progress on this.

MySQL -> ok
Apache -> ok
System log -> ok
Sw-engine -> ok
PHP -> ok
Plesk log -> ok

What else could it be? How can I diagnose the problem? What could I inspect more to have more information?

Would anyone give an idea like saying "check this and that"? To diagnose the problem, for example which logs I need to check, to see if something is wrong? Or even to see that if real problem is outside the panel.

I'm facing the same problem. Other website hosted loads normally and fast as lightning. But Plesk (17.5.3) is TOO SLOW! Maybe a bug? Any ideas to fix this problem?

Back