• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Question Plesk Migrator Error: Access denied for user 'admin'@'127.0.0.1' (using password: YES)"

first4it

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
AlmaLinux 9.4
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.63 #2
Hi,

In light of the CentOS 7.9 EOL I have created a new AlmaLinux 9.4 server and installed Plesk.

After building the server I saw a thread Question - Try our new tool to upgrade your old MariaDB server from Plesk UI which explained how to update MariaDB to the latest version via the GUI. I made the changes and it allowed me to upgrade the database from 10.5.22 => 10.11.9. I read that it was best to do this before initiating a migration as both databases are on the same version.

When I ran the migration the database copying failed with the error Access denied for user 'admin'@'127.0.0.1' (using password: YES)" and I have no idea how to resolve this.

I understand it has something to do with connection via localhost and 127.0.0.1 and the way in which MariaDB handles this but I cannot find a series of steps to take to resolve it.

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it. I think it may also have something to do with password differences between the admin account in Plesk and the admin account in the database - like I said really not sure.

Regards,

Alan.

Hi Sebahat,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I tried this first before posting. However, with AlmaLinux 9.4 I cannot find this file or its contents in the location specified!
  1. Remove the skip-name-resolve variable to /etc/my.cnf (or /etc/mysql/my.cnf) config file.

Screenshot of migrator errors displayed attached - source IP and database names obfuscated for obvious reasons.Screenshot 2024-08-23 at 16.07.54.png

I have run your command MYSQL_PWD=$(cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow) mysql -uadmin

Here is the output.

MariaDB [(none)]> SHOW GRANTS;
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Grants for admin@localhost |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO `admin`@`localhost` IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD '*97570B63E8A4A7F267EA92CC36B0E0CCF5ABDD65' WITH GRANT OPTION |
1 row in set (0.000 sec)

MariaDB [(none)]>

The migrator seems to be trying to connect as [email protected] and not admin@localhost as is the case with the command output above.

Thanks for the update. Please try:

MYSQL_PWD=$(cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow) mysql -uadmin
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'admin'@'127.0.0.1' IDENTIFIED BY 'password' WITH GRANT OPTION;

Exit MariaDB and run:

plesk bin admin --set-admin-password -passwd 'password'

You need to replace 'password' in both commands with the actual password to be set.

Then, please run to see if you will get any failures:

MYSQL_PWD=$(cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow) mysqlcheck -c -u admin -h 127.0.0.1 --all-databases

If you are still experiencing the same error afterward, I would suggest opening a ticket with Plesk support for an investigation of the issue on your server. To sign-in to support and open a ticket go to https://support.plesk.com.
If you got your license from a reseller, your reseller should provide support for you. If the reseller does not provide support, here is an alternative to get support directly from Plesk: https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/12388090147095-How-to-get-support-directly-from-Plesk

Back