• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Important Plesk Obsidian Releases

Status
Not open for further replies.

IgorG

Plesk addicted!
Plesk Certified Professional
Hi everyone,
Preview of the next version of Plesk is now available for everyone and we would love to hear your thoughts on the new Plesk version.

We need your feedback to make sure we're going the right way and addressing the actual needs of you and your customers. Please don't hesitate and let us know what you think - whether it's something new you like or something missing that you really need.

List of new features and ChangLog you can find here - Change Log for Plesk

How to install Preview builds instruction
Try Plesk Now

Last edited:
Refering to my recent post here:
Plesk Forum

I would like to ask, is Web Presence Builder still supported in Plesk 17.9 - and is there any plans to continue the support also in the future versions of Plesk? (I really hope Plesk developers would see the benefits for continuing support for WPB also in the future).

I would like to ask, is Web Presence Builder still supported in Plesk 17.9 - and is there any plans to continue the support also in the future versions of Plesk? (I really hope Plesk developers would see the benefits for continuing support for WPB also in the future).
You still can install WPB component in 17.9 at least. The current state of WPB is still the same - no active development, no new features, only bugfixes and security fixes, no EOL until the announcement of the replacement.

You still can install WPB component in 17.9 at least. The current state of WPB is still the same - no active development, no new features, only bugfixes and security fixes, no EOL until the announcement of the replacement.

So something has changed from the original life-time cycle of WPB as one and a half year ago you wrote here:
Question - Is Plesk Dropping the Presence Builder?

"Please note the following dates regarding product life for Web Presence Builder and SiteBuilder:
  • End of Maintenance (EOM) status to be reached on December 31, 2016
  • End of Life (EOL) status to be reached on December 31, 2017
Due to this timeline, we will cease further updates and bug fixes for these products on December 31, 2016, but security upgrades and product support will remain available until December 31, 2017. Please note that End of Life is not related to licensing, and all Web Presence Builder and SiteBuilder licenses will remain in place following End of Life status."

Your reply is a very good news indeed. I hope Plesk could revert its decision and continue developing Web Presence Builder further on. If you could confirm anything related to this decision, please let's continue WPB discussion in the thread I opened here:
Question - Plesk Web Presence Builder - EOL cancelled?

Did I understood correctly that in addition to security fixes Plesk now does also a bug fixes for this product (that was originally ceased in the end of 2016)?

Hello,

I'm glad to announce Plesk 17.9.4 Preview has been published.

We need your feedback to make sure we're going the right way and addressing the actual needs of you and your customers. Please don't hesitate and let us know what you think - whether it's something new you like or something missing that you really need.

Release Notes / How to install the preview build

Main Deliveries

[+] The Plesk administrator can now allow or forbid customers and resellers to store backups in a specific remote cloud storage.
backups_permissions.png

[+] It is now possible to manage Plesk extensions via REST API. Here is what you can do:
restapi_extensions.png

[*] It is now possible to define what features and controls both the main administrator and additional administrators can access using Restricted Mode (known before as Custom View).
Unlike Custom View, Restricted Mode applies both in Service Provider view and Power User View. Restricted Mode can be applied during the creation of additional administrator accounts, and can also be applied to all Plesk administrators via the following CLI command: # plesk bin poweruser --off -simple true -lock true.
restrict3.png restrict40.png

[*] The Domain Connect extension is now installed by default with Plesk
domain_connect.png

[+] Additional HTTP headers can now be configured in IIS settings.
iis_headers.png iis_headers2.png

[*] Dropped support for Windows 2008 R2 (for new Plesk versions).

I just did it manually by following this tutorial (this works on 18.04 as well as 16.04 and 17.10): Upgrading MariaDB from 10.0 to 10.1 to 10.2 on Ubuntu 16.04 / 17.10 | Website for Students

Hello,
to perform a full backup of your databases before upgrading MariaDB, the easiest is to stop mysql and to make a copy of the directory /var/lib/mysql :
Code:
# stop MariaDB service
sudo service mysql stop 

# make a copy of /var/lib/mysql 
sudo cp -rf /var/lib/mysql /var/lib/mysqlold

This way, you will be able to rollback to the previous MariaDB release if there are issues after upgrading MariaDB.

Hello,

I'm glad to announce Plesk 17.9.5 Preview has been published.

Main Deliveries

[+] Users can now access Plesk by browsing `https://<host-name-or-IP>` without specifying the TCP port 8443.
no_port.png

[+] Added an ability to apply SOA settings changes to all existing domains. The Plesk administrator can now choose the email address of a person responsible for the domain’s DNS zone (RNAME email address), which will be applied to all domains in Plesk. Additionally, the Plesk administrator can prohibit changing the RNAME email address on a per domain basis.
soa_rec.png

[+] Users can now access the auto-generated REST API reference and execute API calls from Plesk by browsing
`https://<host-name-or-IP>/api/v2/`.
[+] Users can now execute CLI utilities via the REST API interface by using a new REST API endpoint `/cli`.
rest-api.png

[*] PHP extensions designed for WordPress hosting are now precompiled into PHP engines shipped with Plesk.

Please add Backblaze B2 as a cloud storage provider option for backups!
And support latest SmarterMail 16 and 17 to come..
What I would really love is if I could have a Plesk 17.9 running on LINUX with remote smartermail. I pay a lot extra for the ability to seperate the mail server, however I am restricted to have Windows as the main Plesk as well as Windows for SmarterMail. Understand if I want SmarterMail i need to pay for Windows for the mail server, but since I am paying Plesk to have it done remotely, I should be able to choose Windows or Linux for Plesk!!
Thanks and keep up good work. Looking forward to next release

I just did it manually by following this tutorial (this works on 18.04 as well as 16.04 and 17.10): Upgrading MariaDB from 10.0 to 10.1 to 10.2 on Ubuntu 16.04 / 17.10 | Website for Students
Thanks. I am running that Plesk on CentOS, so will have to try another guide for this OS.
What my concern was that when Plesk 17.9 comes out, and I already have the same (or LATER) version of MariaDB, will this pose an issue to Plesk? Will it try to upgrade it anyway or will it skip as the MariaDB is higher or same as what it was going to upgrade it to anyway?

Restricted Mode is certainly interesting for managed servers where we give out admin accounts but keep customers from rebooting their servers or changing IP-settings. Will it be possible to provision the Restricted Mode permissions via Plesk command line?
If not, will it be sufficient to just change the booleans here?

Code:
select * from Permissions where permission like 'manage_%';

Thanks Anthony, I'll manage with that command! Also just to be sure, are there any differences in Restricted Mode across license types (admin/pro/host)?

Hello,

A customer commented and asked the following:

-------------------------------------------------

We just saw the new function in 17.9 where you can access the panel via port 443.

(plesk bin admin --enable-access-domain)

Could you please provide us with some in-depth technical information how you implemented that feature?

-------------------------------------------------

Can someone please provide the in-depth technical information about how this feature is implemented in Plesk 17.9?

Thank you,

Hello Bryson,

Thank you, it is a good question. The feature is supported by apache and by nginx. When you install Plesk 17.9, Plesk is installed with pre-configured "VirtualHost" in apache and "server" in nginx; the web-service proxies all requests to internal 127.0.0.1:8880. The web-service uses an individual SSL certificate for Plesk Panel; it is the same certificate that Plesk Panel uses for connection on the 8443/tcp port.

apache:
Code:
<IfModule mod_ssl.c>
        <VirtualHost ip.ad.dre.ss:443>

SSLEngine on
                SSLVerifyClient none
                SSLCertificateFile "/usr/local/psa/var/certificates/certi4vi4d6"

UseCanonicalName Off
                LimitRequestBody 2147483647
                ProxyTimeout 600

<IfModule mod_proxy_http.c>
                        <Location />
                                ProxyPass http://127.0.0.1:8880/
                                ProxyPassReverse http://127.0.0.1:8880/
                                RequestHeader set "X-Forwarded-Proto" "https"
                                Order allow,deny
                                Allow from all
                        </Location>
                </IfModule>
        </VirtualHost>
</IfModule>

nginx:
Code:
server {
        listen ip.ad.dre.ss:443 ssl;

ssl_certificate             "/usr/local/psa/var/certificates/certi4vi4d6";
        ssl_certificate_key         "/usr/local/psa/var/certificates/certi4vi4d6";
        client_max_body_size 2048m;
        proxy_read_timeout 600;
        proxy_send_timeout 600;

location / {
                proxy_pass http://127.0.0.1:8880;
                proxy_set_header Host $host;
                proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
                proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
                proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Proto $scheme;
                access_log off;
        }
}

In this case, if you open a server's IP-address or resolvable domain in a browser, you see a Plesk Panel.

A validator on domain creation page doesn't allow you to create a domain that matches with a domain in a browser's address bar.

When you configure a specific domain with CLI (`plesk bin admin --enable-access-domain "plesk.example.org"`), Plesk reconfigures the section and adds a directive `ServerName "plesk.example.org"` to apache's config and 'server_name "plesk.example.org"' to nginx config.

apache:
Code:
<IfModule mod_ssl.c>
        <VirtualHost ip.ad.dre.ss:443>

SSLEngine on
                SSLVerifyClient none
                SSLCertificateFile "/usr/local/psa/var/certificates/certi4vi4d6"

ServerName "plesk.example.org"
                UseCanonicalName Off
                LimitRequestBody 2147483647
                ProxyTimeout 600

<IfModule mod_proxy_http.c>
                        <Location />
                                ProxyPass http://127.0.0.1:8880/
                                ProxyPassReverse http://127.0.0.1:8880/
                                RequestHeader set "X-Forwarded-Proto" "https"
                                Order allow,deny
                                Allow from all
                        </Location>
                </IfModule>
        </VirtualHost>
</IfModule>

nginx:
Code:
server {
        listen ip.ad.dre.ss:443 ssl;

ssl_certificate             "/usr/local/psa/var/certificates/certi4vi4d6";
        ssl_certificate_key         "/usr/local/psa/var/certificates/certi4vi4d6";
        client_max_body_size 2048m;
        proxy_read_timeout 600;
        proxy_send_timeout 600;

server_name "plesk.example.org";

location / {
                proxy_pass http://127.0.0.1:8880;
                proxy_set_header Host $host;
                proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
                proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
                proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Proto $scheme;
                access_log off;
        }
}

In such case, if you already have a subscription with this domain in Plesk, a website be overlapped by Plesk Panel because of Plesk Panel's priority.

You can revert a default setting by executing "plesk bin admin --enable-access-domain" or disable the feature by executing "plesk bin admin --disable-access-domain". In upgrade scenarios, you need to enable the feature by yourself.

Hello,

I'm glad to announce Plesk 17.9.6 Preview has been published.

Main Deliveries

[+] Added REST API landing page to Tools & Settings, from which users can:
* Read the REST API guide.
* Visit the REST API reference and playground.
* See the Swagger scheme and an example of a REST API call using curl.
preview61.png

[*] Now the MySQL fork (MariaDB or Percona) actually installed on the server is shown in the Plesk interface.
preview2.png preview3.png

[*] Mail users and additional users can now specify an external email address, which will be used to reset the password if they lose access to the primary email address.
preview4.png

[+] Additional Expires headers can now be configured in the IIS settings.
preview5.png

[*] Reduced the disk space necessary for restoring particular objects from backups stored in a remote storage.
Now only the backup of the object being restored is imported to the server storage (before this change,
the whole server backup was imported).

[*] The PageSpeed module is now precompiled with nginx.

[*] Added support for managing IP addresses via Netplan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back