• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Plesk Update dependics

Janko1000

Regular Pleskian
Hi Folks,

i got some Problems to Update the Plesk Servers

- Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS
- Plesk Onyx 17.8.11 #66

Code:
Installation wird nicht fortgesetzt

Die Ausführung von apg-get ist mit folgender Meldung fehlgeschlagen:
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
aum : Depends: libapache2-mod-security2 but it is not going to be installed
modsecurity-crs : Depends: libapache2-mod-security2 (>= 2.8.0) but it is not going to be installed

If i run apt-get -f install, same Problem.

Try to fix it with

# dpkg -P libapache2-mod-security2

and then try the

# apt-get -f install

again.

@IgorG,

The suggestion

Try to fix it with

# dpkg -P libapache2-mod-security2

and then try the

# apt-get -f install

again.

is not a valid one - the package libapache2-mod-security2 is not installed or present : that should already been clear from the output.

For your information, running the command

dpkg -P libapache2-mod-security2

results in :

dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove libapache2-mod-security2 which isn't installed

and running the command

apt-get -f install

results in :

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
libapache2-mod-security2
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libapache2-mod-security2
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
2 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/314 kB of archives.
After this operation, 1,230 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Selecting previously unselected package libapache2-mod-security2.
(Reading database ... 141429 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../libapache2-mod-security2_2.9.0-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libapache2-mod-security2 (2.9.0-1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libapache2-mod-security2_2.9.0-1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_security2.so', which is also in package libapache2-modsecurity 2.9.2-ubuntu16.04.18021217
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libapache2-mod-security2_2.9.0-1_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

In short, there is a package dependency issue and a messy conflict between the packages libapache2-mod-security2 and libapache2-modsecurity.

I am pretty sure that resolving the dependency issue would resolve the current issue.

In essence, the current issue should not be a problem, but it is rather annoying - there is always something not setup properly when using apt-get.

In conclusion, this issue should be resolved as soon as possible, in order to prevent future problems (that are certain to occur).

Kind regards..........

Same problem on two servers:

Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS with Plesk Version 17.8.11 Update #67 with libapache2-modsecurity 2.9.2-ubuntu16.04.18021217
Debian GNU/Linux 8.11 with Plesk Version 17.8.11 Update #67 with libapache2-modsecurity 2.9.2-debian8.0.18021217

On both servers we use Web Application Firewall with Advanced ModSecurity-Regeln von Atomicorp (Abonnement).

I had the same problem with
- Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS
- Plesk Onyx 17.8.11 #67

My solution:

# dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/libapache2-mod-security2_2.9.0-1_amd64.deb

and then:

# apt-get -f install

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
libapache2-mod-security2
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libapache2-mod-security2
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
6 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/314 kB of archives.
After this operation, 1,230 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
(Reading database ... 113742 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../libapache2-mod-security2_2.9.0-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libapache2-mod-security2 (2.9.0-1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libapache2-mod-security2_2.9.0-1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_security2.so', which is also in package libapache2-modsecurity 2.9.2-ubuntu16.04.18021217
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libapache2-mod-security2_2.9.0-1_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I think there's a typo from the developer. I already have libapache2-modsecurity 2.9.2 and it wants to install libapache2-mod-security2 2.9.0-1

I had the same problem with
- Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS
- Plesk Onyx 17.8.11 #67

My solution:

# dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/libapache2-mod-security2_2.9.0-1_amd64.deb

and then:

# apt-get -f install

Tested that potential solution before, but it seems to be a very rough work-around that can cause additional problems in the future.

Nevertheless, the dependency issue is caused by the aum package - also meaning that you should not have any reference to libapache2-modsecurity in apt cache, if one already has package libapache2-modsecurity.

Sure, the above also means that your rough work-around will work for the time being, but any aum update will cause problems due to the dependencies.

In short, I would not recommend this solution.

@Redis Kostalli

The statement

I think there's a typo from the developer. I already have libapache2-modsecurity 2.9.2 and it wants to install libapache2-mod-security2 2.9.0-1

is not correct - it is not a typo or an error on the side of the developer, in this case being Atomicorp - responsible for the aum package.

In my humble opinion, it is just bad dependency management - from the developer or Plesk Team or Ubuntu Team.

In general, aum and/or modsecurity module (for Apache) is dependent on package libapache2-mod-security2 - that makes it logical that we receive the notifications and errors.

The problem here is that we receive errors and are encountering problems due to a failure to check for the libapache2-modsecurity package.

Kind regards.........

Same here on Debian Jessie with Plesk Onyx 17.8.11 U#67.

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
aum : Depends: libapache2-mod-security2 but it is not installed

Guys, the issue is under developer's investigation now. We will provide solution soon. At the moment you can use workaround Issue - Plesk Update dependics
The problem is due to update of package dependencies in aum_5.0-0.9 that breaks its installation on Plesk.

Also you can try to use the following workaround:

Workaround (for those that are already broken; don't want to disable rule updates; or want to install tortix/atomic rule set in the first place):
  1. Download the attached empty package libapache2-mod-security2_2.9.0-2_amd64.deb
  2. Install it: dpkg -i libapache2-mod-security2_2.9.0-2_amd64.deb
  3. Fix package system consistency: apt-get install -f
  4. Re-enable rule set in Plesk UI if initial failure was on installation rather than update
Note that this instruction is for Debian 8 and Ubuntu 16.04 only.

Attachments

• libapache2-mod-security2_2.9.0-2_amd64.deb.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 280
Also you can try to use the following workaround:

Workaround (for those that are already broken; don't want to disable rule updates; or want to install tortix/atomic rule set in the first place):
  1. Download the attached empty package libapache2-mod-security2_2.9.0-2_amd64.deb
  2. Install it: dpkg -i libapache2-mod-security2_2.9.0-2_amd64.deb
  3. Fix package system consistency: apt-get install -f
  4. Re-enable rule set in Plesk UI if initial failure was on installation rather than update
Note that this instruction is for Debian 8 and Ubuntu 16.04 only.

This worked for us on. Thank you.

We have the same problems and I have two questions:
1. Is mentioned approach a sustainable solution or is it likely that new configuration will be required later?
2. Regarding the developers's investigation: Is it expected that there will be a patch soon (if yes, and when) or should one use the here recommended solution (which brings me back to question no. 1 ;))?

Last edited:
We have the same problems and I have two questions:
1. Is mentioned approach a sustainable solution or is it likely that new configuration will be required later?
2. Regarding the developers's investigation: Is it expected that there will be a patch soon (if yes, and when) or should one use the here recommended solution (which brings me back to question no. 1 ;))?
The proposed solution will help you go through the upgrade process. In the future, this does not affect your Plesk Obsidian and does not affect its functionality in any way.

The proposed solution will help you go through the upgrade process. In the future, this does not affect your Plesk Obsidian and does not affect its functionality in any way.

Hi Igor!

Doesn´t affect your solution my Plesk Onyx-Installation too? It´s running on Debian8...

Back