• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Plesk upgrade with OS upgrade

galaxy

Regular Pleskian
In order to get multiple PHP versions, I need to upgrade my CentOS 5 to CentOS 6.
I have plesk 12.0.18 and want to go to the latest 12.5.30.

So should I upgrade in place on the CentOS 5 server, then do a transfer/migration, or should I just install a fresh 12.5.30 on the CentOS 6 container, then do a transfer/migration from the 12.0.18 to the new 12.5.30?

I've just created a CentOS 7 container and will install on that. Are there any issues with CentOS?

Thanks Lloyd...

Hi galaxy,
No, none that I've come across (yet).
Just remember CentOS 7 installs MariaDB by default, and the service name is changed...

# service mariadb status

Any issues just post back.
Regards

Lloyd

Looking for a recommendation...
I've had to build a new system, put OpenVZ on it, put a CentOS 7 container on it, got plesk installed.
I'm going to test the migration on Monday. If all looks well, I'll bring the system to the data center and do it live.

Since I'm behind a firewall, the public IP's on the container go nowhere. So that's safe. I can keep all the IP's exactly the same (except for the internal addresses).
I have a requirement to keep the public IP's the same as they are in production. Some customers hard-coded their "dedicated" ip's into their apps and systems at offices, so I can't afford to lose customers over that.
I see two approaches to this. I can do this live *twice*, first with temporary IP's, then again to the final container with the originals after the original is taken offline.
Or what would happen if during a down-time I have the same public IP's on both containers and do the transfer/migration? Would that be better? Possibly putting in iptables rules to block the public IP's in VE0? Or temporarily setting the OpenVZ "NEIGHBOUR_DEVS=all" to "detect" or just commenting it out until the migration is finished?

I see the latter as being less work (only one transfer), but using the former would keep things alive but possibly confuse any applications using the static IP's.

Back