• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Plesk Web admin panel access

Alireza Famili

Basic Pleskian
Hi

I'm new to this forum. Just turned from cPanel to Plesk and I'm loving it.

Anyway, I managed to Install Onyx on CentOS7 with no problem and the forum really helped. I was trying to secure my installation so I did not know Plesk changed root to admin so I updated admin user's password and my panel shows :

ERROR: Zend_Db_Adapter_Exception: SQLSTATE[HY000] [1045] Access denied for user 'admin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

So how do I update plesk to use my new password?

Thanks,
Ali

The Plesk database password is stored in /etc/psa/.psa.shadow unencrypted. If you place your individual password into that file, it should work for the database.

Hi Peter

Starting from version 10.2, Panel encrypts the Administrator's password before
saving it to /etc/psa/.psa.shadow. For security reasons, only users with root
permissions are able to get the plain password. To obtain the password, such
users should run the following command:

/usr/local/psa/bin/admin --show-password

tried this command with a root accound but output is :
SQLSTATE[HY000] [1045] Access denied for user 'admin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Also tried :
plesk login and plesk bin admin --get-login-link with same result

Last edited:
The message you are getting is referring to the Plesk "admin" user login password, but the "admin" database user password. That is stored in /etc/psa/.psa.shadow.

o.k., you're right. I wonder why I was able to access that file on our 12.5, 17.0 and 17.5 servers before, but on my test system now it says the same message as you posted before. Hmm, interesting.

O.k., I see. The file is there, but you don't see it, because you did not use the -la parameter for the ls command.

Try with
# ls -la

Also, look inside
# less /etc/psa/.psa.shadow

Login directly to database using the stored password
# mysql -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow`

What I don't get is why this should be encrypted in that file. Because a MySQL login with the command displayed above when providing the correct unencrypted password from a file should also work. You should really go ahead and give it a try. Make a backup copy of .psa.shadow, then change the line to your current password and see if it works.

o.k., you're right. I wonder why I was able to access that file on our 12.5, 17.0 and 17.5 servers before, but on my test system now it says the same message as you posted before. Hmm, interesting.
Actually It's a much better idea this way. Storing password in plain text makes me a bit worried. Anyway tried these commands as well:
plesk login
plesk bin admin --get-login-link

Same results. And I'm logged in as root

You should really go ahead and give it a try. Make a backup copy of .psa.shadow, then change the line to your current password and see if it works.

Very odd but this did not work! Any ideas? Why does plesk bin admin --get-login-link with a root account does not work?

I'll explain the situation again:

I know my plesk login. I logged to Mariadb and changed the password of admin user. Hence I can't access my web access panel. So I need to tell plesk that my admin user of database has changed.

Gee, no. It's either Plesk GUI login or database login. Which of the two are we talking about. I thought we are talking about the database login, not the GUI login?! Which admin user do you mean? The admin database user or the admin Plesk user?

Gee, no. It's either Plesk GUI login or database login. Which of the two are we talking about. I thought we are talking about the database login, not the GUI login?! Which admin user do you mean? The admin database user or the admin Plesk user?
I know my db password. As the thread title says,I can't access my GUI plesk panel because I changed my db password.

Your first error message in your first thread says, that you cannot access the database, because the database admin password is wrong. If you cannot access the GUI, this is because Plesk cannot access the data stored in the database, but obviously it is still all about the database admin user password.

If setting your password into the password file does not work for you, you can stop the MySQL service and start it with --skip-grant-tables option, then login to GUI (because now Plesk database can be accessed without password, so the data can be read, so the GUI becomes available again), go into the database server management and change the password of the database there, then stop the service again and restart it the regular way. Now Plesk should use your new password.

Peter,

As I understand, when I try to access my panel at myip:8443 , plesk will try to connect to my db with admin user and a password. ( Which I changed)
So now the panel can't be accessed. Now I need to tell plesk my new password so it can connect to it. That's it.
I know my db password. As the thread title says,I can't access my GUI plesk panel because I changed my db password.

I stoped my Mariadb and started back in safe mode with -skip-grants-tables.
I managed to log in to my panel now.
Now I go to tools and settings>database servers and see my database servers. But it does not let me change the password. I even tried adding another database server on port 3307 so I can mark that as default and delete my current admin user and re add but plesk give this error:

Error: The test connection to the database server has failed:

The MariaDB server is running with the --skip-grant-tables option so it cannot execute this statement

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your help. I finally found a solution. Very easy.
used this command:

/usr/local/psa/bin/admin --get-login-link
This will generate a link with secret and let's you login to Plesk, exactly like the first time you log to web admin panel after installation.

Back