• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

PleskControlPanel broke after upgrading from 10.0.1 to 10.1.1

Hi,

Plesk Support have been working on my install for several days now and have managed the upgrade.

Unfortunately I cannot post what they have done, because frankly I have no idea. I know that they have attempted several upgrades changing several settings in the registry but I think alot of things got broken and required repairing one step at a time as the fixes progressed.

I know we pay enough for the software and it was their upgrade that broke Plesk, however USD70 is a small price to pay to get this issue resolved as quickly as possible. I sincerely hope that this issue will not happen again on the next upgrade.

It would be nice that the installer performs some sort of a check before the upgrade to make sure everything is OK prior to allowing the upgrade to avoid such disastrous issues that can easily result in loss of business and customers.

Possibly Igor can take a look at the ticket and post the fix.
I understand that it might have been a complicated fix, and the resolution for $70USD would be worth it, but it still comes down to... wasn't this upgrade tested. Now I have this issue for all future upgrades... I'm going to be worried about ack'ing them. On top of that, this was an 'auto-install'. I could image there would be a margin for error if we were to install the upgrade manually, but in the event that we need an 'automated' system and that 'updates' would install automatically, ... humm... I've heard this before with MS...

I'm just hoping that they might make a 'patch' utility to correct this. There are many easy to setup utilities out there that can automate registry repairs....

Thanks for your info!

Dave.

Hi,

Plesk Support have been working on my install for several days now and have managed the upgrade.

Unfortunately I cannot post what they have done, because frankly I have no idea. I know that they have attempted several upgrades changing several settings in the registry but I think alot of things got broken and required repairing one step at a time as the fixes progressed.

I know we pay enough for the software and it was their upgrade that broke Plesk, however USD70 is a small price to pay to get this issue resolved as quickly as possible. I sincerely hope that this issue will not happen again on the next upgrade.

It would be nice that the installer performs some sort of a check before the upgrade to make sure everything is OK prior to allowing the upgrade to avoid such disastrous issues that can easily result in loss of business and customers.

I took your advise and purchased a pre-paid incident... although it was $75.
I always seem to have problems using these pre-paid tickets. The email I received says to write to [email protected] but it keeps on bouncing back to me. The email account is inactive. The email account is
actually in the link from Parallels with the confirmation. Although the confirmation does not have the pre-paid ticket # in it. So... again, I wait. It took me over a month when I did this before to get anyone at Parallels to accept the order #. Luckly I had someone nice that looked at the order and actually confirmed that it contained a pre-paid incident. So... did anyone ever write to [email protected]? All I get is bounce back emails.

Thank you again for your suggestion. I just need Parallels now to start the process they did on your server... on mine ...

Dave.

Is anybody able to provide the fix that Plesk provided ? I'm having the exact same issue after upgrading. Where can I find the autoinstaller3.log by the way ?

Lots of people having the issue during 10.1.1 update.
Plesk support looks to be non existant. Paid support is also slow to get things resolved.

To me, they should address the issue as so many are experiencing same problem.

I dont even know if they bother to look at the forum or care to address it.

Is anybody able to provide the fix that Plesk provided ? I'm having the exact same issue after upgrading. Where can I find the autoinstaller3.log by the way ?

You can find in temp installation folder. For example C:\c0dea7c7eb1bf6e458c3ff5744dc8bd4\autoinstaller3.log
Can someone describe in details a initial problem and fill the form without headers changing - http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=106115
I will forward it to developers in that case.

You can also send to me in Private Message zipped autoinstaller3.log files from your server, I will try to check why this happened.

Also, please don't try to downgrade to 9.x installation. This can bring your server in more inconsistent state than it was, so it will be hard to fix this issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------
PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE
Plesk Panel, 10.0.1, Windows 2003 R2, 32bit

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION AND STEPS TO REPRODUCE
Upgraded to Plesk 10.1.1 using auto installer. Not changing anything and clicking through the installer but finishes with error [Error: Some action sequence of package 'plesk' has been failed with code -1]

ACTUAL RESULT
Web installation page (http://localhost:8447/install_progress.html) gives the error after a few minutes of running:

--------------------
Starting installation of packages
upgrading Parallels Panel core components...
Unexpected error
Error: Some action sequence of package 'plesk' has been failed with code -1
Not all packages were installed.
Please, contact product technical support.
---------------------

When going to the Plesk page we get a window to login, after logging in we get a blank page.

EXPECTED RESULT
Was expecting it to not error out.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
--------------------------------------------------------------

Plesk reconfigurator doesn't resolve the issue. Event log shows this when its done running:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
System.Exception: Class not registered (COM Error 80040154) at thumbprintIIsCertificate()
at psaobsolete.PSAHosting.switchPSAHosting(String type, Boolean force, String phpMode, String connTimeout)
at reconfigurator.CheckPleskServices.Run()
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Plesk database upgrade history:
------------------------------------------------------
C:\Program Files\SWsoft\Plesk\admin\bin>dbclient --direct-sql --sql="select * from upgrade_history
upgrade_date version_info db_version
2008-05-13 12:27:08 8.4.0 8.3.0
2007-01-12 00:00:00 8.1.0 7.6.1
2007-05-20 00:00:00 8.1.1 8.1.0
2007-07-26 00:00:00 8.2.0 8.1.1
2007-10-16 00:00:00 8.2.0.1 8.2.0.0
2007-10-26 00:00:00 8.2.0.1 8.2.0.1
2007-07-24 00:00:00 8.2.0 8.1.1
2008-10-26 00:00:00 8.4.0 8.2.001
2009-02-07 23:45:01 9.0.1.0 8.4.0.0
2010-02-20 01:02:51 9.3.0.0 9.0.1.0
2010-09-09 11:18:25 9.5.2.0 9.3.0.0
2010-11-07 08:45:52 9.5.3.0 9.5.2.0
2010-11-28 00:00:00 10.0.1.0 9.5.3.0

Autoinstaller3.log fails here:

Signature: AppReg131
Property: ASPNET_REGIIS4
Signature: AppFile11
MSI: Action 9:07:49: CheckInstallConditions. Checking installation conditions...
MSI: Error! The system cannot find the file specified. (Error code 2) at Unable to connect to pipe \\.\pipe\psapipe
MSI: Action 9:07:50: Rollback. Rolling back action:
Action_OnStagePrecommit
Publishing product information
Action_OnStageNormal
Starting services
Copying new files
Removing folders
Removing files
Removing duplicated files
Updating environment strings
Removing INI files entries
Removing system registry values
Unregistering modules
Deleting services
Stopping services
Unpublishing Product Features
Unpublishing assembly information
Updating component registration
InstallInitialize
Unexpected error
Error: Some action sequence of package 'plesk' has been failed with code -1
-- Check for new version of PANEL-WIN_10.1.1/panel-10.1.1-ms_w2k3-i386.inf3
FileFetcher: get file (~empty)/PANEL-WIN_10.1.1/panel-10.1.1-ms_w2k3-i386.inf3
-- Check for new version of SITEBUILDER-WIN_5.1.0/sitebuilder-5.1.0-ms-noarch.inf3
FileFetcher: get file (~empty)/SITEBUILDER-WIN_5.1.0/sitebuilder-5.1.0-ms-noarch.inf3
-- Check for new version of BILLING-WIN_10.1.0/billing-10.1.0-ms-noarch.inf3
FileFetcher: get file (~empty)/BILLING-WIN_10.1.0/billing-10.1.0-ms-noarch.inf3
Parallels Products Installer was closed because of a long period of inactivity.

The autoinstaller3.log is about 12MB

I am pasting the sections from it where the likely error occur (there is no option to upload zip file here in the forum)

Environment locale name is 'English_United States.1252'
Warning: Locale English_United States.1252 is not supported, used en_US.
Supported non-english locales is: en_US.UTF-8 de_DE.UTF-8 es_ES.UTF-8 fr_FR.UTF-8, it_IT.UTF-8 ja_JP.UTF-8, nl_NL.UTF8 ru_RU.UTF8 zh_CN.UTF-8, zh_TW.UTF-8

Parallels Products Installer 3.8.0 (built on Dec 24 2010 10:36:56 svn rev. 9999999) started at (timezone Central Standard Time) Thu Mar 03 00:57:12 2011
Command line arguments: C:\Downloads\parallels_installer.exe

SourceUrl: original source url is http://autoinstall-win.pp.parallels.com/
SourceUrl: fixed url is http://autoinstall-win.pp.parallels.com/
Try to find rcfile...
Autoinstaller rcfile not found.
Opsys detected as: os_vendor=Microsoft os_name=Windows-server version=5.2-sp2 arch=x86_64 environment=~empty
Final opsys (with overriding) is: os_vendor=Microsoft os_name=Windows-server version=5.2-sp2 arch=x86_64 environment=~empty

Web interface is now started.
Please visit http://localhost:8447/ in your browser.

repository: Get brief packages info for all sources
SourceUrl: original source url is http://autoinstall-win.pp.parallels.com/
SourceUrl: fixed url is http://autoinstall-win.pp.parallels.com/
FileFetcher new object: target_dir=C:\e61be95c010099e4f9ece11945d5c909/parallels/, main_source_url=http://autoinstall-win.pp.parallels.com/
FileFetcher: get file (~empty)/products.inf3
File downloading products.inf3: 100% was finished.

File downloading PANEL-WIN_10.1.0/panel-10.1.0-ms_w2k3-x86_64.inf3: Can't get installation types for PANEL_10_1_0_WIN
: Failed to download the package http://autoinstall-win.pp.parallels.com/PANEL-WIN_10.1.0/panel-10.1.0-ms_w2k3-x86_64.inf3:
The requested URL returned error: 404

-------
File downloading PANEL-WIN_10.1.0/panel-10.1.0-ms_w2k3-x86_64.inf3: Can't get installation types for PANEL_10_1_0_WIN
: Failed to download the package http://autoinstall-win.pp.parallels.com/PANEL-WIN_10.1.0/panel-10.1.0-ms_w2k3-x86_64.inf3:
The requested URL returned error: 404
----

MSI: Info:SQL: SELECT `host`, `admin_login`, `admin_password`, `port` FROM DatabaseServers WHERE `id`=1 AND `type`='mysql'
MSI: Info:MySQLDatabaseProvider Query: SELECT `host`, `admin_login`, `admin_password`, `port` FROM DatabaseServers WHERE `id`=1 AND `type`='mysql'
MSI: ***Resolving source dir...
MSI: Installation is running from cache: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\d0cbb2b2.msi
MSI: ***Collecting webmail parameters...
MSI: Info:The system cannot find the path specified. (Error code 3) at Open file 'horde\config\conf.php'
at (VFile::eek:pen line 87)
at Collect parameters of Webmail database(CollectWebMailDBParams line 43)
MSI: Info:The system cannot find the path specified. (Error code 3) at Open file 'horde\config\conf.php'
at Collect parameters of Webmail database(CollectWebMailDBParams line 43)
MSI: ***Collecting default packages...

--------------
MSI: Action 0:58:48: SelfUnregModules. Unregistering modules
File: capicom.dll
Folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\admin\bin\
File: MEUtil.dll
File: memta.dll
MSI: Info 1905. Module C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\admin\bin\memta.dll failed to unregister. HRESULT -2147319780. Contact your support personnel.
File: memta_x64.dll
MSI: Info 1905. Module C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\admin\bin\memta_x64.dll failed to unregister. HRESULT -2147319780. Contact your support personnel.
File: WINHTTP5.DLL
Folder: C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\
MSI: Action 0:58:49: RemoveRegistryValues. Removing system registry values
Key: \Software\Classes\psa.scheduler.device.PSASchedulerCollection

-----------

MSI: ***Resolving source dir...
MSI: Installation is running from cache: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\26464d6.msi
MSI: ***Collecting webmail parameters...
at Collect parameters of Webmail database(CollectWebMailDBParams line 99)
at Collect parameters of Webmail database(CollectWebMailDBParams line 99)
MSI: ***Collecting default packages...
MSI: The system cannot find the file specified. (Error code 2) at Unable to connect to pipe \\.\pipe\psapipe
MSI: Error! The system cannot find the file specified. (Error code 2) at Unable to connect to pipe \\.\pipe\psapipe
MSI: Action ended 1:02:41: CheckInstallConditions. Return value 3.
MSI: Action ended 1:02:41: INSTALL. Return value 3.

------------
MSI: Property(N): WiseInitExistError = %s Version %s is already installed. You must uninstall the existing version before installing %s Version %s. Do you want to uninstall the existing version of %s?
MSI: Property(N): ProductLanguage = 1033
MSI: Property(N): WiseInitAdminError = You must have administrator rights to run this installation. Please login as an administrator and re-run this installation.

---------
MSI: Property(S): PrimaryVolumeSpaceAvailable = 439054424
MSI: Property(S): PrimaryVolumeSpaceRequired = 133393
MSI: Property(S): PrimaryVolumeSpaceRemaining = 438921031
MSI: Property(S): SSLRANDOM = 2998687
MSI: Property(S): PrimaryVolumePath = C:
MSI: === Logging stopped: 3/3/2011 1:03:39 ===
Failed to install 'C:\e61be95c010099e4f9ece11945d5c909\parallels\PANEL-WIN_10.1.1\dist-msi-Microsoft-2003-i386\plesk.msi' with error 1603
Action '<install-msi-package command-line='ISTEMPLATE=&quot;[ISTEMPLATE]&quot; SECURELESS=&quot;[SECURELESS]&quot; ADDLOCAL=ALL PLESK_PASSWORD=&quot;[PLESK_PASSWORD]&quot; INSTALLDIR=&quot;[PLESK_INSTALLDIR]&quot; DATADIR=&quot;[PLESK_DATADIR]&quot; VHOSTSDIR=&quot;[PLESK_VHOSTSDIR]&quot; ALLUSERS=1 ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT=1 REBOOT=R AUTOINSTALLER=1' />' failed with error 1603
Error: Action sequence 'upgrade: upgrading Parallels Panel core components...' of package 'plesk' has been failed with code 1603

Guys, thank you for detailed information provided. I will try to summarize quick solution for all of you asap.

It seems like problem caused by some garbage left from 9.x version. Can you please confirm that all of you have been upgraded from 9.x to 10.0.1 earlier?

Last edited:
I was upgrading from 10.0.1 (that was working no issue there)
Before that was 9.5.x

yes, i was on 9.5 before then went to 10 then to 10.1.1 where it broke. thank you again for your help

How come end user will know upgrading plesk from earlier version will left garbage, is not it responsibility of software to do its own garbage collection from its previous version.

I would recommend to pull off 10.1.1 to save others from grief, till developers nail down the cause of errors.

Trust me it cause a lot of stress, when plesk pull down your working server. Hopefully your development team will get on it pronto.

Last edited by a moderator:
9.5 -> 10.0 -> 10.1 Path

Guys, thank you for detailed information provided. I will try to summarize quick solution for all of you asap.

It seems like problem caused by some garbage left from 9.x version. Can you please confirm that all of you have been upgraded from 9.x to 10.0.1 earlier?

Yes I had 9.5 then updated to 10 and then 10.1.1

I did notice that when I went from 9.5 to 10 I had some issues with the DNS : if I added a domain the entries would not show in the name server (nslookup mydomain.com) but looked like they were added. I tried switching between BIND and Microsoft DNS and it seemed to be more of an issue with the DNS entries being added. I added the entries manually, even though they were showing under the Plesk Panel for the domain and havent had to add another domain since.

Hopefully this gets sorted soon as my clients have been patiently waiting to use their hosting panel and I am sure their patience is running out

How come end user will know upgrading plesk from earlier version will left garbage, is not it responsibility of software to do its own garbage collection from its previous version.

I would recommend to pull off 10.1.1 to save others from grief, till developers nail down the cause of errors.

Trust me it cause a lot of stress, when plesk pull down your working server. Hopefully your development team will get on it pronto.

Unfortunately, we cannot predict that under some special conditions error will appear during upgrade. There are lot of upgrades to 10.1.1 that went good. So all of your cases in this thread are special. And I'm trying to understand why they are special and how to resolve them in general.

Possible workaround

We have found possible workaround. Remove the following registry keys if they exist:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ Installer\ Products\ 62CD591E4B6A31E48B9E6DB13499D7DD
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ Installer\ UpgradeCodes\ 6A3FF024D3FF40B49A2F98B66229FE7B
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Uninstall\ {E195DC26-A6B4-4E13-B8E9-D61B43997DDD}

Then try to repeat upgrade again.

Last edited:
Thanks for coming up with resolution, will try it over the weekend (when traffic is low), and update you guys.

ignore this... currently update in progress... will edit post accordingly

Last edited by a moderator:
I can confirm this worked for my 10.1.1 upgrade. The update did take a few hours for some reason but Plesk is running again. You may have to run the Plesk reconfigurator to repair the Plesk component so it can correct the permissions. I was still getting the logins box when the update was complete.

Worked fine for me after running the "PP Reconfigurator" to update the file permissons as well. Did take a long time to run through but the log shows a lot of file activity. Atleast it is working again.

One thing I do have is a constant "MySQL" component update, even though the update runs through successfully it still shows are a component update.

Back