• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved [PPP-26730] No System Updates on fresh Ubuntu 16.04 LTS install?!

Raistlin84

New Pleskian
Hi there, I can't seem to find the System Updates, which are one of the great new features of Plesk Onyx.

I have been using a VPS solution by a German hoster, that comes with Plesk 12.5 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. After upgrading Plesk to the most recent 17.0.17 #5, everything works great, system updates are available. This is my target solution.

In order to use Docker as well as some other extensions, I recently changed to a (non-managed) Root Server, where there is full control over the OS and everything. Given a clean Ubuntu 16.04 LTS install, after updating all the packages and a "One Click Install" of Plesk Onyx using the Individual / Power User-Setting and a valid Web Admin Licence from my hoster, I cannot seem to find the system updates on this vanilla install of the system.

Comparing my earlier VPS-upgraded Plesk Onyx and the vanilla-root-server install, the system updates are simply not linked under Tools & Settings / Server Management. Everything else so far I have been able to figure out and to configure to my linkings, but without the system updates one of the best features of Plesk Onyx is missing.

If I manually type "https://myserverurl:8443/admin/pum" into the address bar, which is the URL from the VPS-server that serves as my reference, it gives me "Warning: Permission denied", so I guess, that this may be a minor configuration issue. I have also checked panel.ini, everything here is turned on regarding system updates. Note that there is a minor mismatch between the official Plesk documentation, where it says "systemUpdate=on" and the Panel.ini edit plugin, where this value is actually set to "true" instead of "on", but I guess, this is not the issue.

Long story short: any ideas what I am doing wrong or where I have to change the permissions?

I am honestly surprised, as this is Plesk on an updated, but otherwise fresh Ubuntu 16.04 LTS install.

Thanks in advance.

Nope, that's kind of my problem :)

I see this "System Updates" option on my (old) VPS-server, but on the new root server it is simply not present:

I also have activated every option on Custom View Settings, but it is not shown there either.

Plesk Main Menu.png

Hi Raistlin84,

Unfortunately, System Updates tool isn't available if you're using Custom View. This is an oversight on our part, and we're going to fix this bug in one of the upcoming Plesk updates.

Pfew... ok, that's at least a decent answer.

Stupid follow-up question: Where can I deactivate Custom View?
I do not really need it (single admin / single server / no resale) and never specifically activated it...

Well, what Igor said. ;) Alternatively, you can manage your interface via Tools & Settings > Interface Management.

Well, I think I have solved my problem: pure licensing issue.

After seeing your screenshot and not finding the "Change View" button either, I was seriously doubting my sanity. Which led me to looking at the documentation, that mentioned one can change the view unter "Interface Management". However, this one just wasn't available like the "System Updates". Then I looked at the CLI documentation, if there was a command to change from Power User mode to Service Provider mode from the command line, which produced the error message, that the Service Provider Mode was not available due to license restrictions.

So I changed the installed licence from Plesk 12 Web Admin to Plesk 12 Web App (which did not help) and then to Plesk 12 Web Pro - which did the trick. All the sudden the "Change View" field appeared and System Updates, Interface Management and all the other stuff one sees in the screenshots came up. All those licenses are included for free by my hosting provider, one just has to request them, but I didn't figure that there were actual differences in the capabilities. On my hoster site it only mentioned something about 5 / 10 / 30 / unlimited domains, and for some of the smaller servers only the smaller packets are included for free. *D'Oh*

Long story short: using the Plesk 12 Web Pro license let's me switch to Service Provider view, where all the missing stuff is to be found. Kinda solved my problem.

Nevertheless, maybe it would be a good idea, if the missing links are not just missing (though that seems to be the point of Power User view), but are unclickable/greyed out and somewhere there is an actual message, that those are not supported due to licence. Just an idea...

Anyway, thanks guys!

The weird thing is that it's not the license problem -- if you check the public Plesk Web Admin demo, you'll see that System Updates tool is available. Anyway, glad to hear your issue is resolved!

Nevertheless, maybe it would be a good idea, if the missing links are not just missing (though that seems to be the point of Power User view), but are unclickable/greyed out and somewhere there is an actual message, that those are not supported due to licence. Just an idea...

This sounds like a good idea and we'll discuss this internally, but we have to check it with our hosting partners -- sometimes they don't want certain things visible under any circumstances. Thank you for your feedback!

Back