• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue [PPP-26791] FTP backup - bug in Plesk Onyx

peraburek

Basic Pleskian
Hello, I would like to report few bugs in Plesk 17.0.17 Update #5 regarding BACKUP and RESTORE, especially to FTP storage

Product, Version: Plesk Onyx Version 17.0.17 Update #5
Arhitecture: x86 64bit (Intel Xeon E5 2620 v2)

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
Backup to FTP Storage works only with FULL BACKUP
Backup to FTP Storage doesn't work with INCREMENTAL BACKUP
Restore backup from FTP Storage - few bugs

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
1. configure FTP Storage settings

double tested and confirmed destination FTP server is available, both using hostname or IP address
tested and confirmed both "Explicit FTP over TLS" (called FTPS by Plesk FTP Storage Settings) and "Plain FTP (insecure)" are working fine - https://ftptest.net/
tested and confirmed both "Active FTP and Passive FTP" are working fine - http://www.infobyip.com/ftptest.php

2. make backup to FTP storage
3. try to restore backup, for example only e-mails, or databases for chosen domain - it is not possible (selected objects option is grey)

ACTUAL RESULT
unable to restore backup - unable to choose "selected objects" from FTP storage (option is grey)

EXPECTED RESULT
ability to restore backup - selected objects from FTP storage

in attach you can see screenshots

plesk-ftp-backup-bug1.jpg plesk-ftp-backup-bug2.jpg plesk-ftp-backup-bug4.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, I would like to report few bugs in Plesk 17.0.17 Update #5 regarding BACKUP and RESTORE, especially to FTP storage

Arhitecture: x86 64bit (Intel Xeon E5 2620 v2)

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
Backup to FTP Storage works only with FULL BACKUP
Backup to FTP Storage doesn't work with INCREMENTAL BACKUP
Restore backup from FTP Storage - few bugs

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
1. configure FTP Storage settings

double tested and confirmed destination FTP server is available, both using hostname or IP address
tested and confirmed both "Explicit FTP over TLS" (called FTPS by Plesk FTP Storage Settings) and "Plain FTP (insecure)" are working fine - https://ftptest.net/
tested and confirmed both "Active FTP and Passive FTP" are working fine - http://www.infobyip.com/ftptest.php

2. make backup to FTP storage
3. try to restore backup, for example only e-mails, or databases for chosen domain - it is not possible (selected objects option is grey)

ACTUAL RESULT
unable to restore backup - unable to choose "selected objects" from FTP storage (option is grey)

EXPECTED RESULT
ability to restore backup - selected objects from FTP storage

in attach you can see screenshots

View attachment 11720 View attachment 11721 View attachment 11723

Same problem here:

@Raymond_Davelaar - have you tried Incremental backup?

I want to use daily incremental backup (and 1x monthly full backup) but backup manager makes Full backup everyday regardless of my settings :((

long story short = Incremental backup doesn't work :(

@Raymond_Davelaar - have you tried Incremental backup?

I want to use daily incremental backup (and 1x monthly full backup) but backup manager makes Full backup everyday regardless of my settings :((

long story short = Incremental backup doesn't work :(
Hello. It sounds like your FTP server does not support REST command or this command disabled (you could check it by https://ftptest.net). In Plesk Onyx we move index used for incremental backup creation and selective restore to the end of backup archive. If FTP server does not support REST command we cannot get it to calculate incremental backup diff or show list of objects for selective restore.

Hi,
Totally different issue always, firstly did you check firewall settings most effeclty, also try manuel backup...

it seems cause of the problem is found

if you select "Create a multi-volume backup, volume size (MB)" and type any value (for example default? = 2047)

Restore of "Selected Objects" is NOT possible, only "All objects (entire system)" if "Create a multi-volume backup, volume size (MB)" is in use

in case of enabled "Create a multi-volume backup" incremental backup won't work

however, if you disable "Create a multi-volume backup" both incremental backup will work, and restore of "Selected Objects" will be available

I hope this can help other guide their way through "backup manager" labyrinth :)

it seems cause of the problem is found

if you select "Create a multi-volume backup, volume size (MB)" and type any value (for example default? = 2047)

Restore of "Selected Objects" is NOT possible, only "All objects (entire system)" if "Create a multi-volume backup, volume size (MB)" is in use

in case of enabled "Create a multi-volume backup" incremental backup won't work

however, if you disable "Create a multi-volume backup" both incremental backup will work, and restore of "Selected Objects" will be available

I hope this can help other guide their way through "backup manager" labyrinth :)

Thank you. Bug PPP-26791 was created. We will fix it in one of nearest updates.

question - another bug found

Steps to reproduce error:

1. excluded some files from backup example "/var/www/vhosts/test-exclude-domain.tld/*"

2. do a FULL backup

3. delete everything in "/var/www/vhosts/test-exclude-domain.tld/"

4. do a Restore
Type of object to restore: Files of domains
/var/www/vhosts/test-exclude-domain.tld/ - files are listed, even they are not available in the backup

excluded and deleted files should NOT be listed there as available, because they are excluded from backup (at least, they should be excluded)

When you select those files, and choose RESTORE

"Restoring Nov 14, 2016 08:47 AM" just keeps spinning for hours, will it ever come to conclusion restore is not possible to restore those files, because files are not included in the backup ???

I am pretty sure of my findings, because excluded backup files are 150 GB tar archives, and FULL BACKUP size is 21 GB in size (just OS + Plesk I guess) so by very simple math "checksum" it doesn't match

one more thing, in Onyx there is option to choose SSL cert for securing:
1. Plesk
2. Mail Server (Dovecot/Postfix)
3. Domains (Hosting Settings)
4. Webmail SSL

5. can you add option to choose SSL cert for FTP Server ??

I can dig up and edit manually, but when you have made the effort for other servers/services, why not FTP as well ?

"If errors occur during the execution of this backup task, send a notification email to:"

how to write more e-mail addresses? [email protected], [email protected] is not valid
[email protected]; [email protected] is also not valid

error: The specified email address is not valid. You need to specify a valid email address like [email protected].

another problem is FROM address getting to SPAM because of wrong value in FROM FIELD, DKIM missing, etc.

more issues with backup:
Warning: server "server"
backup_restore_helper utility returned incorrect result. Extension with ID 5 cannot be backuped. Please, contact your service provider

Last edited:
1. excluded some files from backup example "/var/www/vhosts/test-exclude-domain.tld/*"
The exlude pattern is applied inside each webspace (/var/www/vhosts/*). In your example real path to exclude will be /var/www/vhosts/test-exclude-domain.tld/var/www/vhosts/test-exclude-domain.tld/*. I created bug PPP-26813 to fix the field description in GUI.

I am making backup as server administrator (Tools&Settings - Backup Manager), not as subscription owner

what is correct path in that case ?

I can confirm the incremental backup does not work with multi-volume option enabled on the latest microupdate of plesk onyx either.

And for the ones telling me the FTP does not support REST or anything, I would like to let you know that it used to work just fine on 12.5, on the same storage server.

Z2EXIMR.png

I have a scheduled full weekly backup, and the daily incrementals, which obviously don't work, as I am stacking up on approx. 14GB of full backups every day.

It would be very useful if we would be able to exclude certain domains from the backups, additionally to the "certain files" option.

Hello Plesk Team

incremental backup has been fixed since recent Plesk Onyx update, but now I have stumbled upon new bug

on Backup Task when you choose "When a backup task is completed, send a notification email to: [email protected]" it not sent or received

can you look into this issue of not receiving e-mails, it used to work before

other than that, I believe e-mails should be sent with SMTP (DKIM) with correct FROM filed etc., otherwise they land in SPAM/JUNK (on Gmail for example)

when e-mail is sent from webmail (Roundcube) and I got everything correct (SPF=PASS, DKIM=PASS, DMARC=PASS) there are no issues in that case

From backup manager e-mail is sent like this
to: [email protected]
date: Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 10:58 AM
subject: Backup task notification
signed-by: myserver.tld

Gmail doesn't like wrong (impersonating) FROM address in any case

hi, i have a problem with the backup to ftp folder in Plesk 17.0.17.
I set Keep backup files for 3 days but it does not work and fill my ftp repository. Also not working incremental backup to ftp repository.
Thanks you

Attachments

• backup.jpg
    backup.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1
I can confirm the incremental backup does not work with multi-volume option enabled on the latest microupdate of plesk onyx either.

And for the ones telling me the FTP does not support REST or anything, I would like to let you know that it used to work just fine on 12.5, on the same storage server.

Z2EXIMR.png

I have a scheduled full weekly backup, and the daily incrementals, which obviously don't work, as I am stacking up on approx. 14GB of full backups every day.

It would be very useful if we would be able to exclude certain domains from the backups, additionally to the "certain files" option.

In Plesk 12.0.18 the incremental backup and rotation file in ftp repository work fine, without REST. Solutions?

Back