• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

[PPPM-2936] fault in migration manager since 12.0.18 MU#75

Linulex

Silver Pleskian
I am moving our remaining plesk servers from plesk 8.6.0 to 12.0.18. ever since the update to MU#75 there are always 2 domains that fail with the error:

Warning: domain "domain1.nl"
Execution of /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/api-cli/domain.php --update domain1.nl -guid 64a37bef-1278-4a6e-8fa8-ace113f7c0eb -creation-date 2014-11-21 -hosting true -hst_type phys -do-not-apply-skeleton -ip 185.95.44.240 -www-root httpdocs -login vknths-drgne -passwd '' -ignore-nonexistent-options failed with return code 1.
Stderr is
An error occurred during domain update: An error occurred during changing of hosting settings: User vknths-drgne already exists.

Warning: domain "domain2.com"
Execution of /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/api-cli/domain.php --update domain2.com -guid 0986502b-c54c-48db-abe1-2fde2a8fca4a -creation-date 2014-01-20 -hosting true -hst_type phys -do-not-apply-skeleton -ip 185.95.44.240 -www-root httpdocs -login correia2157 -passwd '' -ignore-nonexistent-options failed with return code 1.
Stderr is
An error occurred during domain update: An error occurred during changing of hosting settings: User correia2157 already exists.

These are always linux userid 10129 and 10133 (as far as i can see)
This happens:
- the user gets created in linux
- the user is added to psa table sys_users

After the migration, i delete the 2 domains that failed trough plesk and delete the system users (including home dirs) from linux and remove the entries in the psa db sys_users table then i can migrate these 2 domains without a problem. So there is a workaround, but its pretty annoying.

- i have done several test runs and am very sure these users don't exist before a migration.
- due to the high system user id i believe this bug only appears when migrating 134 or more system users.
- the fact it says -passwd '' is part of the bug, the domains have a password and after deleting as discribed above migrate fine without any change to the source.

i hope the anti bug squad will fix this soon.

regards
Jan

Warning: domain "domain1.nl"
Execution of /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/api-cli/domain.php --update domain1.nl -guid 64a37bef-1278-4a6e-8fa8-ace113f7c0eb -creation-date 2014-11-21 -hosting true -hst_type phys -do-not-apply-skeleton -ip 185.95.44.240 -www-root httpdocs -login vknths-drgne -passwd '' -ignore-nonexistent-options failed with return code 1.
Stderr is
An error occurred during domain update: An error occurred during changing of hosting settings: User vknths-drgne already exists.

Such issue occurs if you already have an existing system user with specified name on target system. This is common situation if you perform migration on server that is already in use. Plesk Migrator (migration tool for Plesk 12.5) is able to process cases when you migrate domain with the same sysuser name like one of domains that already exist on target Plesk. In this case sysuser will be automatically renamed during migration. But in situation then sysuser was created on target not via plesk (for example manually, via adduser utility) Plesk Migrator can not catch it and will show the same error. Need to rename sysuser on source or on target and then migrate domain again.

I have checked that offcourse and the system user doesnt exists before the migration.

Using the plesk 12.5.30 migration tool is not an option because that has a more serious bug: when you click the most top checkbox (to select all), only the very first row get selected. Its not an option having to select all users and domains manualy. That is why i migrate everything to plesk 12.0.18 for now.

regards
Jan

Using the plesk 12.5.30 migration tool is not an option because that has a more serious bug: when you click the most top checkbox (to select all), only the very first row get selected. Its not an option having to select all users and domains manualy. That is why i migrate everything to plesk 12.0.18 for now.

Thank you for feedback! I can not reproduce listed behavior with latest Plesk Migrator release (1.7.3). At "select objects to transfer" step of migration wizard checkbox at the list header works as expected: select or deselect all other checkboxes together. Which version do you use? Do you have customers or resellers in your list? May be this bug could be reproduces only on specific objects selection... It could be fixed in nearest update, if I can found steps.

Also, if you have troubles with Plesk Migrator GUI, I want suggest to try CLI interface: at this moment it could be a bit more flexible and convenient for mass migrations.

how do i see what version the migration manager is? The plesk is 12.5.30 with mu#20 on centos 6.7, source plesk is 12.0.18, first item is a reseller, then a few customers. But also when source is plesk 8.6.0 with first item a client, it doesnt work either.

It might be my browser and/or the security, but i have tried disabling every add-on and it still didnt work. i use normaly firefox (44.0 atm), i have also tested it with IE 11 without success.

This plesk server was an upgrade a few times (not a clean 12.5.30 install) from 11.0 --> 11.5.30 --> 12.0.18 --> 12.5.30. It is not used in production, it is a test server.

Regards
Jan

Plesk Migrator is a Plesk extension, so version should be displayed at Extensions Management page: Extensions tab at Server Management group of left menu.

I just check Chrome, Firefox and IE. Screenshot is attached. There are should be able to perform following group selections:
  • All objects by selecting checkbox at the header of the list
  • All objects belong to specific reseller by selecting checkbox at the left of reseller name (eli4186 at this example)
  • All domains of specific customer by selecting checkbox at the left of customer name

Attachments

• select_objects_to_transfer.png
    select_objects_to_transfer.png
    73 KB · Views: 5
ah, ok,

I was talking about the "Migration & Transfer Manager" link on the "Tools & Settings" page under "tools & recources".

I will install the extention and try that.

regards
Jan

Plesk Migrator (if installed) accessible also by link Migration & Transfer Manager at Tools & Preferences page. If Plesk Migrator is not installed, but Migration & Transfer Manager installed (for example, before upgrade) then yes, old Migration & Transfer Manager will be used. You need to install Plesk Migrator component via Plesk Autoinstaller. After that new Plesk Migrator instead of old Migration & Transfer Manager will be accessible via all Plesk menus.

Update:

Selecting everything in the extention migration manager works fine.

So the bug only exists in the non extention version.

Thanks for the help.

regards
Jan

1 remark:

in the "old" migration manager you could see what he was doing "transfering data", "deploying domain xyz", etc... I miss this with the extention version.

And the progress changed from 10% to 8% to 4% to 2% ... shouldn't this go up instead of down? i can understand he can calculate it better once he has done a bit, but together with point 1 (not showing what he is doing), i can't understand why he is doing this and that is a bit frustrating.

One could make an estimated guess how far he was, what was going on and deduce from that how log it would take aproximitly.

regards
Jan

Thank you for feedback again! Plesk Migrator perform migration by subscriptions, not by stages, like it was implemented in old migration tools. It means that there are separate statuses for each subscription. First domain could be at copy files stage, second at dumping database and third at restoring of hosting settings. So it is unable to determine overall status of whole migration. Plesk Migrator GUI, after future improvements (under development at this moment), will be able to show progress for each domain.

Now you can see detailed report at this file:

/usr/local/psa/var/modules/panel-migrator/sessions/<SESSION_NAME>/progress

Plesk Migrator update content of this file after any changes, so it always in up-to-date state during migration.

@Aleksey Filatev

There are many bugs when migrating from a Plesk 12.0.18 instance to a Plesk 12.5.30 instance, when starting the migration process at the Plesk 12.5.30 instance.

That should not really be the case and the failures are not minor: some domains are not even migrated (for many reasons).

Can you start a conversation with me? That way I can give you some descriptions of the errors......or invite you to an existing discussion with Plesk Team, regarding these issues.

Finally, in some implicit way, you are stating that enabling the Plesk Migrator extension (on the Plesk 12.0.18 instance) can be a potential work-around.

Is that correct?

Regards.....

enabling the Plesk Migrator extension (on the Plesk 12.0.18 instance)

The Migration extension is plesk 12.5.30 (and up, i guess). Doesn't work with 12.0.18.

But i have upgraded several 12.0.18 to 12.5.30 in place now (via the web update UI) without any problems. No need to migrate from 12.0 to 12.5. If it is to upgrade hardware, you can upgrade the plesk first and then migratie from 12.5.30 to 12.5.30.

It is possible you get an error about a key not being correct, but that is a bad description of the problem. The true problem is that the table isn't innodb. So before upgrading you have to change all the tables in the psa database to innodb. You can use this command to do that

mysql -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` psa -e "show table status where Engine='MyISAM';" | awk 'NR>1 {print "ALTER TABLE "$1" ENGINE = InnoDB;"}' | mysql -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` psa

regards
Jan

@Linulex, Jan,

There is at least one issue with cross-platform (i.e. Plesk 12.0.18 to 12.5.30) migration: migrating WP instances managed by WPT do fail (symptoms: empty directories after migration, Apache not able to configure the domain, conf and statistics directories are symlinks in the root of the domain directories and/or domain "skeleton" is incorrect).

It is likely to be a migration related issue, even though it cannot be excluded (yet) that it has something to do with the "security check" applied by WPT.

With respect to your remarks about the database (i.e. not InnoDB), I must say: no problems were encountered by me, at least I did not see them happening.

However, your solution is a nice and clean one, thanks for that, I will keep that in mind.

By the way, I have noticed that most people encounter a number of different problems with migration, that cannot be explained by a fixed set of causes.

In essence, it seems to be the case that Plesk Migrator (in Plesk 12.5.30) does not perform persistently, can you confirm such a preliminary conclusion?

Regards...

@trialotto

There is at least one issue with cross-platform (i.e. Plesk 12.0.18 to 12.5.30) migration: migrating WP instances managed by WPT do fail (symptoms: empty directories after migration, Apache not able to configure the domain, conf and statistics directories are symlinks in the root of the domain directories and/or domain "skeleton" is incorrect).

Hence my suggestion to update in place to plesk 12.5.30.

I don't use the WPT. To restrictive for me. Joomla, drupal, magento, all have security issues from time to time. That is the reason i use installatron.

In essence, it seems to be the case that Plesk Migrator (in Plesk 12.5.30) does not perform persistently, can you confirm such a preliminary conclusion?
Regards...

Sorry, i can't, sorry. Not because i found errors or it works perfect for me, but simply because i haven't used it yet. I am upgrading the last of our 8.6.0 servers to 12.0.18, via migration. The move started on 12.0.18 and i tested everything on 12.0.18 so i am finishing the move now on 12.0.18. i only updated a few testservers to 12.5.30.

regards
Jan

@Linulex, Jan,

Well, the fact that you do not use WPT AND do not encounter any issues with the Plesk Migrator (more or less) confirms that migration issues can be related to WPT.

Thanks, for that feedback.

In response to your statement regarding your update process, note that I strongly recommend that you do not start the cross-platform (Plesk 12.0.18 to 12.5.30) migration YET.

That is, in 99,5% of the cases, the cross-platform will work like a charm, but the (other) 0,5% of the cases will be companied by unpredictable behavior, affecting all migrated domains.

It is just a tip ........ and I know that it often ends well (i.e. without errors), but if it does not, it will take a (whole) lot of time to repair the issues.

Regards...

Back