• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Private Nameservers in Plesk 10.4.4

R

RyanJJ

Hey All,

** Begin introduction **

Firstly to introduce myself, I'm Ryan, and I have been a PHP/MySQL enthusiast for a long time. I have had various boxes over the years, but always Linux. For peripheral reasons (new project) I have found myself with Windows Web Server 2008 R2 running IIS 7.5 with Plesk 10.4.4 - and this is where my confusion begins.

** End introduction **

I've managed to get everything up and running, however, when checking my NameServer settings using various tools online I can see that my domain takeawaystreet.com has no nameservers registered to it. At the registrar end, the nameservers are set to: ns1.takeawaydns.co.uk and ns2.takeawaydns.co.uk (I also own takeawaydns.co.uk and wish to use it as an exclusively nameserver domain for my various websites)

TakeawayDNS.co.uk - at the registrar end:
ns1.takeawaydns.co.uk -> dedicated IP on my server 111.111.111.111 (can't remember off the top of my head)
ns2.takeawaydns.co.uk-> dedicated IP on my server 222.222.222.222

This is where I am stuck. Having used WHM/cPanel for donkey's years, this has always been a piece of cake. Plug and play if you will. Create A records on the server for ns1 & ns2 inside the client account (for takeawaydns.co.uk) and then in the account for TakeawayStreet.com I create two NS records for the same domain which point to ns1.takeawaystreet.com and ns2.takeawaystreet.com

However, in Plesk I am absolutely lost. I have read countless tutorials online (7 differing tutorials completed thus far) and still the online tools are reporting NameServer errors.

DNS Records for the takeawaystreet.com domain (on the particular account):

176.9.172.126 / 24 PTR takeawaystreet.com.
ftp.takeawaystreet.com. CNAME takeawaystreet.com.
ipv4.takeawaystreet.com. A 176.9.172.126
lists.takeawaystreet.com. CNAME takeawaystreet.com.
mail.takeawaystreet.com. A 176.9.172.126
mssql.takeawaystreet.com. A 176.9.172.126
ns.takeawaystreet.com. A 176.9.172.126
takeawaystreet.com. NS ns1.first-ns.de.
takeawaystreet.com. NS robotns2.second-ns.de.
takeawaystreet.com. NS robotns3.second-ns.com.
takeawaystreet.com. NS ns2.takeawaydns.co.uk.
takeawaystreet.com. NS ns1.takeawaydns.co.uk.
takeawaystreet.com. A 176.9.172.126
takeawaystreet.com. MX (10) mail.takeawaystreet.com.
webmail.takeawaystreet.com. A 176.9.172.126
www.takeawaystreet.com. CNAME takeawaystreet.com.

DNS Records for takeawaydns.co.uk as it stands:

176.9.60.22 / 24 PTR takeawaydns.co.uk.
ftp.takeawaydns.co.uk. CNAME takeawaydns.co.uk.
ipv4.takeawaydns.co.uk. A 176.9.60.22
lists.takeawaydns.co.uk. CNAME takeawaydns.co.uk.
mail.takeawaydns.co.uk. A 176.9.60.22
mssql.takeawaydns.co.uk. A 176.9.60.22
ns.takeawaydns.co.uk. A 176.9.60.22
takeawaydns.co.uk. NS robotns2.second-ns.de.
takeawaydns.co.uk. NS ns1.first-ns.de.
takeawaydns.co.uk. NS robotns3.second-ns.com.
takeawaydns.co.uk. A 176.9.60.22
takeawaydns.co.uk. MX (10) mail.takeawaydns.co.uk.
webmail.takeawaydns.co.uk. A 176.9.60.22
www.takeawaydns.co.uk. CNAME takeawaydns.co.uk.

Records for ns1.takeawaydns.co.uk (I'm sure you can work out ns2...!)

176.9.60.22 / 24 PTR ns1.takeawaydns.co.uk.
ftp.ns1.takeawaydns.co.uk. CNAME ns1.takeawaydns.co.uk.
ipv4.ns1.takeawaydns.co.uk. A 176.9.60.22
mail.ns1.takeawaydns.co.uk. A 176.9.60.22
mssql.ns1.takeawaydns.co.uk. A 176.9.60.22
ns.ns1.takeawaydns.co.uk. A 176.9.60.22
ns1.ns1.takeawaydns.co.uk. A 176.9.172.121
ns1.takeawaydns.co.uk. NS ns1.takeawaydns.co.uk.
ns1.takeawaydns.co.uk. NS ns2.takeawaydns.co.uk.
ns1.takeawaydns.co.uk. A 176.9.60.22
ns1.takeawaydns.co.uk. MX (10) mail.ns1.takeawaydns.co.uk.
ns2.ns1.takeawaydns.co.uk. A 176.9.172.122
webmail.ns1.takeawaydns.co.uk. A 176.9.60.22
www.ns1.takeawaydns.co.uk. CNAME ns1.takeawaydns.co.uk.

I don't know whether Plesk and/or Windows has special requirements which would make it foolish for me to delete records such as mssql etc. which I do not use...? There seems to be very little online which details exactly what needs to be done and why.

I really am at my wit's end. Can somebody (and I know this is a HUGE ask as everyone is probably so busy) please give me a run through of how I can make sense of this. A link to a working tutorial that is appropriate to my config would suit me fine, because Google has not been my friend on this one.

I don't even know if Plesk needs to have options changed to even make it possible to be a DNS server... I feel like I am starting my Web Learning Journey all over again. I am baffled.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Ryan

Back