• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Problems with network interfaces

WiReDWolF-X

New Pleskian
I set up a multi-homed machine that has one wireless NIC on my private WLAN (for remote management purposes) and one wired NIC with a Public IP. I then installed Ubuntu and finally Plesk 12.

Today I discovered a problem where all my sites were showing up with a 404 nginx page. After a lot of pointless searching and looking at countless issues with nginx I finally traced the problem myself back to the wireless NIC having fallen offline. When I restored the WLAN connection the websites became visible again.

Another symptom of this problem that could have clued me in earlier was I got warning messages about my template files not being able to update, also related to nginx.conf files.

Anyway, The IP for the WLAN is 'read' into the control panel and I cannot remove it.

"Error: Cannot remove the IP address 192.168.110.126 because it is the primary IP address of a network interface. Cannot remove the IP address 192.168.110.126 because it is the last IP address present on a network interface."

I didn't think much of it when I originally set this up so I set the IP to 'dedicated' and decided that I'd just not use it. However, now that I can see that Plesk is somehow linking to the IP and if this IP is not live all the public websites go down despite not being configured to use this IP, I'd like to just hide it from Plesk.

According to the ODIN KB: http://kb.odin.com/en/237

"With Parallels Plesk Panel (PP) 6 and later versions, there is no concept of the Primary IP address for the server. From the control panel's point of view, all IP addresses are equal. The only difference between the main IP address and aliases is that the main IP address cannot be deleted from the control panel. In Plesk interface primary IP address on the network interface will be marked with bold text.

Attempt to remove it in Plesk 10 and 11 will display an error..."

Both IP's are bolded so clearly Plesk does see this as a "main IP" address.

Anyway, does anyone know of a way to do this? I'd like to keep the WLAN connection for convenience, particularly if issues develop with the Public IP, as the machine I installed to runs headless and hooking up peripherals is a total pain. I just don't want Plesk to be aware of it.

Back