• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

qmail & greylisting spam control

Originally posted by rvdmeer
I think i got it working...

220 extre.nl ESMTP
helo there
250 extre.nl
mail from [email protected]
250 ok
rcpt to: [email protected]
421 temporary envelope failure (#4.3.0)

busy testing
That looks correct. It should give you a temporary envelope failure for 5 minutes (or whatever you set the block to) What was the problem?

Well... (shame) the username created was not able to write in the table. So it was my bad... Thanks for your support!

There is only one problem left.. pop-before-smtp... some users are using this and if i'm correct.. that will be blocked for 5 minutes as well after the first sending... am i right?

Ok, i got it all running on the production server. no spam was passed yet. Great!

just to add to the praise

I've been doing this for some time now, although on MX frontends, not on the plesk servers themselves, and i also really think greylisting is the BEST anti-spam/virus solution ever.

I've done a similar setup for a ISP, and around 75% of all trash mail is blocked even before any type of content filtering.

Problems with delays? Pratically none.. here's my config:

> 2 mins retry window
< 8 hours before expire
36 days before expire after accept

I feel this is optimal config, at least for me.

I recommend greylisting to everyone, it's well worth it!

We have a customer who was receiving 300 spam emails every single day. Some where blocked by Spamassassin but the filtering takes alot of CPU resources.

The load on several servers where going down from .20 (15 minutes) to 0.05/0.10 (15 minutes)

Also, the user is not receiving any spam messages anymore.

After using the build of the greylisting i got this errors

Nov 25 10:23:28 xxx spamd[8252]: got connection over /tmp/spamd_light.sock
Nov 25 10:23:28 xxx spamd[8250]: got connection over /tmp/spamd_full.sock
Nov 25 10:23:28 xxx spamd[8854]: bad protocol: header error: (closed before headers)
Nov 25 10:23:28 xxx spamd[8853]: bad protocol: header error: (closed before headers)

srw-rw-rw- 1 popuser root 0 Nov 25 09:43 spamd_light.sock

Its not a file its a pipe you know?

Hmmm i dont know ... i'm still running spamd together with greylisting. :(

Originally posted by society
After using the build of the greylisting i got this errors

Nov 25 10:23:28 xxx spamd[8252]: got connection over /tmp/spamd_light.sock
Nov 25 10:23:28 xxx spamd[8250]: got connection over /tmp/spamd_full.sock
Nov 25 10:23:28 xxx spamd[8854]: bad protocol: header error: (closed before headers)
Nov 25 10:23:28 xxx spamd[8853]: bad protocol: header error: (closed before headers)
What version of Plesk are you running?

I do not know what happend but now i works PERFECT with Spamd.
My Plesk Version is 7.5.4 for Suse 9.1.

First of all thanks for the sources bmeshier. But unfortunately I have some problems. I think it is the same problem as rvdmeer had, there are no entries in the mysql database. I have the file /tmp/greylist_dbg.txt and it has the same entries as the one posted from rvdmeer.

__
protocol = notneeded4qmail [email protected]
--------
protocol = notneeded4qmail [email protected]
__

I checked with phpmyadmin the rights of the user greylist and it seems ok for me but still no entries. Any idea how I can check if there is something wrong with the database, like access rights or interface?

Thanks for the help!

Btw: I use Plesk Version 7.5.4 with Debian Kernel 2.6.14

I've got installed it on a debian stable box, is running fine but after I put in database some white listed ip I receive emails with the same date, I'm currently using imap protocol.
any advice on this?

hints: on debian stable you must install libmysqlclient10-dev - libssl-dev and modify Makefile at line 1553/1554, insted of /usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.a put a usr/lib/libmysqlclient.a and after those steps try make.
oh btw, the query for mysql grant is wrong, instead put a 'greylisting'@'localhost' .

Originally posted by pretender
First of all thanks for the sources bmeshier. But unfortunately I have some problems. I think it is the same problem as rvdmeer had, there are no entries in the mysql database. I have the file /tmp/greylist_dbg.txt and it has the same entries as the one posted from rvdmeer.

I created a database with username/password thru plesk. Then it suddenltly started working...

problem with make

Hi everyone,

I am attempting to follow bmeshier's how-to on my VPS running Plesk 7.5.4. I have set the database up successfully (I think) and now am trying to compile the source. When I run the make command I get the following error.

# make
./compile qmail-local.c
./compile: line 3: exec: cc: not found
make: *** [qmail-local.o] Error 127

Has anyone run into this before? I am very new to working at this level so please bare with me.

Thank you,
Adam

Re: problem with make

Originally posted by funat120mph
Hi everyone,

I am attempting to follow bmeshier's how-to on my VPS running Plesk 7.5.4. I have set the database up successfully (I think) and now am trying to compile the source. When I run the make command I get the following error.

# make
./compile qmail-local.c
./compile: line 3: exec: cc: not found
make: *** [qmail-local.o] Error 127

Has anyone run into this before? I am very new to working at this level so please bare with me.

Thank you,
Adam

probably you don't have a compiler installed.

Back